Nike Uniforms

Dr. Seuss

Terrible analogy, Seuss. We're not talking about dated technology, we're talking about branding. If you want to make a case for latest/greatest, talk about how any new clothing technology can be incorporated without changing the look.

Part of any universities identity and tradition is branding, and that element of UNT should have nothing to do with whether we are winning or losing. It is the design, logos and color schemes that can tie generations of students together. It is the idea that two alumni, 30 years apart, can say they own the same apparel and cheered for the same brand regardless of whether those teams won or lost. You can't convince anyone (including yourself, I think) there is no value in that.

Mean Green Eagles are the boondoggle in college sports of branding. We can't seem to keep the same name, same shade of green or same font type for more than 10 years. We need to pick something and just stick with it.

I swear, the day the national media finally realizes we are UNT and not NTSU is the day we will have moved onto another name.

I completely agree, No part of me is saying to change the shade of green or change the SOW to a GSOW (grandson of the worm). Im talking about branding, I forgot to mention that 99% of all college programs use one sponsor. Thats my point is that we have so many other sponsors why dont we just get one.

The technology analogy is because of the new technology they use for uniforms. There are reasons why the uniforms are slimmer and more of a compression type, its because it creates less draft, same reason for swimmers. There is more holes in the uniforms, todays technology in uniforms far outreaches what was used in 2006. Why are we still using something that is becoming obsolete?? Updating a uniform is not changing the brand, I guarantee you if these uniforms were changing the branding of either Texas, OU, Kansas and all the big programs out there, alumni would raise h*ll. But the fact of a matter that it isnt and thats why they do it. Everyone is more worried about changing the football uniform because they think it reminds them of SLC. The reason they look the same is because both schools used Kelly Green, Kelly Green is Kelly Green no matter what sponsor you use its gonna look a little similar.

If anyone saw the Texas/ K State game last night both teams were wearing the new hyper elite, the one that was in the picture. Now im 23 years old and I could barely see the graphics behind the letters. When you do see it on the Texas jersey, youll see the great state of Texas on the top. With Virgina you see Wahoo's on the back, some might not know what it means but if you look it up thats their nickname. Little things like that make the jersey stand out and make an impression to someone. With adding the clock tower to the background someone might ask or look up why do they have that, people could say that its one of the staples in our university and when the mean green win the tower turns green. These are the little things that people wont forget

Edit: I also would like some green in the uniforms, since we are the mean green not the mean white/black with a accent of green

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Downvote 1

How is getting new uniforms rebranding? If anything it would just be improving our current brand. I don't have a problem with the design of our uniforms, but it would be nice to have uniforms that didn't look like they were made by some high school kid at Denton Athletics.

Oddly enough, that's my opinion of most of the crappy new age uniforms that so many teams have now. They look ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic but I thinking about while watching the national championship tonight. I'm cool with Nike uniforms if they look like Butler's. A lot of people say that Butler's uniforms are ugly but they have a very classic tradition look in my opinion. Just throwing that out there.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate myself for posting in a hypothetical new uni thread, but here goes.....

.... my biggest problem with the current unis (which i love otherwise) is that the font on the player's names seems anything but uniform. Not only are the letters in "WHITE" completely differently sized than "THOMPSON", it almost makes it look like a totally different font - maybe it is, I don't know. It's the only thing that looks very bush league on out otherwise legitimately awesome unis.

All this talk of new Nike jerseys seems great. We're sponsored by Wilson. That's second to worst behind being sponsored by Russell like WKU. I don't feel to confident making fun of WKU at the Sun Belt Tournament and saying, "Hey WKU, where'd you get those Russell jerseys? Thrift Store?!" And then realize we're not much better. What if we didn't have the usual Nike uniforms that look dumb like KU? Or Texas? Something classy, something Nike, something Green. That'd be great, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1