Nike Uniforms

Dr. Seuss

PLEASE NO NIKE BASKETBALL JERSEYS! I am a nike fan in all other sports but their basketball uniforms are horrible in my opinion. They look like sleeveless compression shirts with shorts that are so big that I'm not sure they can technically be considered shorts. I kinda like our jerseys as is but if we are going to upgrade I really hope we don't go with nike.

• Upvote 1

What about the Hyper Elite jersey, maybe have the clock tower in the background??

I think they look cool, I just don't think it "fits us." For some reason I don't know how to explain it other than that.

EDIT: It's like the "North Texas Basketball" brand needs to make its statements with good basketball and not flashy jerseys. I do think our jerseys could be improved a bit. If I personally had control I would ditch the black uniforms and add green to everything (like GreenP1 said).

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

the jerseys now being worn are made by Wilson.

That's a laugh, never have i seen any other team with Wilson uniforms.

I am for the switch to anything for the sake of the players.

They constantly are having to tuck in their jersey, tuck in their jersey, tuck in their jersey and they obviously don't breath worth crap.

The players HATE the road greens which is why they haven't worn them all season so by getting a new company would create a better uniform layout.

F.Y.I. The UNT women use Nike

• Upvote 2

Our men's basketball uniforms have been the same since the 06-07 season and are nearly identical to those of Duke, with some small differences and a different maker. On the Wilson website the style is actually called "Duke". So we do use an off-the-shelf uniform design, but with our own font.

Interesting observation:

We started wearing the Duke style uniforms after Quincy Williams' brother Sheldon graduated from Duke.

The men's practice jerseys are Nike and have a cool design on the back that looks like a net.

Edited by TheWestie
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

With the football team changing to NIKE, do you think the basketball team would also change. IMO, I think the basketball unis are worst than the football ones. Nike makes a good looking basketball jersey that could use a much needed upgrade.

I couldn't disagree more.. I think we have some of the best basketball unis in the NCAA.. Road black, home white, and road green are each super classy.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2

Our men's basketball uniforms have been the same since the 06-07 season and are nearly identical to those of Duke, with some small differences and a different maker. On the Wilson website the style is actually called "Duke". So we do use an off-the-shelf uniform design, but with our own font.

Interesting observation:

We started wearing the Duke style uniforms after Quincy Williams' brother Sheldon graduated from Duke.

The men's practice jerseys are Nike and have a cool design on the back that looks like a net.

You just made my point, we've used the same jerseys for 5 seasons. Time for a change, youve prob gone through two computers, a car, football team changed sponsors twice, 2 NCAA tournament appearances, the list goes on. The nike jerseys are the best in the ncaa, if they werent then why does everyone use them??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You just made my point, we've used the same jerseys for 5 seasons. Time for a change, youve prob gone through two computers, a car, football team changed sponsors twice, 2 NCAA tournament appearances, the list goes on. The nike jerseys are the best in the ncaa, if they werent then why does everyone use them??

Sounds like you holding on to yo stuff too long. I buys my funs like I buys my razors.

disposable-razor-0808-lg-82737737.jpg

• Upvote 1

I happen to hate all the new age-y type jerseys (either the "body suit" types or the ones with those ridiculous under images on them). Give me a classic looking jersey like UCLA - which is basically the same one they've had for the last 40 years.

• Upvote 3

I happen to hate all the new age-y type jerseys (either the "body suit" types or the ones with those ridiculous under images on them). Give me a classic looking jersey like UCLA - which is basically the same one they've had for the last 40 years.

Im also a fan of the classic uniform, but one thing that makes them a classic is the history that goes along with it. Unt has "limited" history in basketball, besides a southland conference championship. If you look at other schools in the NCAA they all have one sponsor that makes their uniforms, we have 3. Even if you dont like the hyper elite you can still have a classic jersey like lsu.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Im also a fan of the classic uniform, but one thing that makes them a classic is the history that goes along with it. Unt has "limited" history in basketball, besides a southland conference championship. If you look at other schools in the NCAA they all have one sponsor that makes their uniforms, we have 3. Even if you dont like the hyper elite you can still have a classic jersey like lsu.

Since we started wearing those, we have 2 NCAA berths and (potentially) 5 straight 20 win seasons. Sounds like the start of a pretty strong tradition in those outfits.

Also, they look sharp as hell. I remain annoyed that I can't buy one. The fact they haven't refreshed inventory on basketball jerseys in at least 6 months (we have black... and black! sizes limited!) makes me think we probably are in for at least a minor redesign.

• Upvote 3

Since we started wearing those, we have 2 NCAA berths and (potentially) 5 straight 20 win seasons. Sounds like the start of a pretty strong tradition in those outfits.

Also, they look sharp as hell. I remain annoyed that I can't buy one. The fact they haven't refreshed inventory on basketball jerseys in at least 6 months (we have black... and black! sizes limited!) makes me think we probably are in for at least a minor redesign.

I actually noticed while in Voertman's today that they now have Tristan Thompson home jerseys. The letters and numbers aren't raised which looks cheap in my opinion, but it's still better than nothing. I saw some in the stockroom of the bookstore on campus as well. Not an exact replica as far as jersey and number material but the design looks spot on to me.

Im also a fan of the classic uniform, but one thing that makes them a classic is the history that goes along with it.

How can you create history with a uniform if you are changing the style every 5 or 6 years?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How can you create history with a uniform if you are changing the style every 5 or 6 years?

You're not changing the style you are adapting to new technology that is available. If you dont want to adapt and change to something better then go back and use the typerwriter that was available back in the 70's when Wooden and Bear were coaches. Then you talk about unt history, why dont we go back to new balance because that what we were wearing in 2001 when we won the New Orleans Bowl. The reason why we wont is because Nike makes the best or for people that dont like nike it is the most commonly used athletic gear/apparel. Like what someone said before the Woman's team uses Nike and Ive never heard anyone complain about their uni's.

Im sorry your comment makes no sense with creating history because you dont start creating history with a uniform. You start it by how you play the game and how much you win/ dominate the competition.

Edit: Out of all the NCAA Division 1 programs 99% of them use one athletic sponsor.

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Terrible analogy, Seuss. We're not talking about dated technology, we're talking about branding. If you want to make a case for latest/greatest, talk about how any new clothing technology can be incorporated without changing the look.

Part of any universities identity and tradition is branding, and that element of UNT should have nothing to do with whether we are winning or losing. It is the design, logos and color schemes that can tie generations of students together. It is the idea that two alumni, 30 years apart, can say they own the same apparel and cheered for the same brand regardless of whether those teams won or lost. You can't convince anyone (including yourself, I think) there is no value in that.

Mean Green Eagles are the boondoggle in college sports of branding. We can't seem to keep the same name, same shade of green or same font type for more than 10 years. We need to pick something and just stick with it.

I swear, the day the national media finally realizes we are UNT and not NTSU is the day we will have moved onto another name.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1