South Alabama (2/17/11)

CMJ

Far from a convincing win, however any win is great at this time. No one really was exceptional but everyone had a descent game at least on the offensive end. Good signs, White taking over game at end, another good outing by Holmen, Thompson providing needed scoring and a very good rebounding game for him, Odufuwa had another solid game. Hogans, Johnson and Shorter all had good plays. Overall the defense was again suspect; uncontested drives to the basket, and far too many wide open threes.

Positives, no one in the league is very good, NT appears to now have a 7 player rotation. NT did show some spark at games end even though USA scored about at will.

USA is one of the weaker teams in the conference, so a very close home win against them is certainly not a big sign of a turnaround, but it at least is much better than another loss.

Thank god S. Ala. can't hit a FT. They shot 57% from the floor and 42% from three (what we wouldn't give for just an average defense). But they only hit 48% from the line.

We made up 11 points from the line.

Hey, a win is a win. Especially after losing 4 in a row. I'm just glad we have clutch FT shooters ourselves.

I think USA's record is deceiving. That to me, is a much better team than their record. (maybe they were young at the start of the year). And their two best players are from Texas....a sophomore from Dallas, and a great freshman from Houston. (#32 and #21 respectively---as I recall). I could easily see USA beating a really good team in the tourney.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I think USA's record is deceiving. That to me, is a much better team than their record. (maybe they were young at the start of the year). And their two best players are from Texas....a sophomore from Dallas, and a great freshman from Houston. (#32 and #21 respectively---as I recall). I could easily see USA beating a really good team in the tourney.

Just my opinion.

Unfortunately we're in line to play them first round.

Just my opinion.

The S. Bama players were gassed at the end of the game. Their lack of a decent bench also hurt them really bad when they started getting into major foul trouble.

This team still isn't playing defense.

Not good.

not sure if you were at the game but actually to be honest the d was actually improved a little.. not much but rebounding, and some of those "hustle" stats were improved... thats what i liked most tonight.. our guys fought and actually showed they cared for the first time in weeks.. people on floor, people extending d causing steals etc..

ps - very shocked no one has commented yet on the zone defense and press.. did yal like it?

This team still isn't playing defense.

Not good.

Our second half defense was the best I can recall in a long time.. they seriously got after it... and on offense, Triston gave up his body once again on most plays... he took a a serious beating trying to get to basket... this team seemed to really care about a win in the 2nd half. Hopefully, shades of our former glorious selves from earlier in the season.

Tristan led the team in scoring...AND tied for the team lead in assists.

Team MVP

I'm happy about his 6 boards, since the little guys aren't going to get too many and they have to come from someone besides the Bigs. Not too happy though that the Jags shot 57.1%. Improved effort, but teams are still finding it way too easy to score on us. Especially in transition.

The S. Bama players were gassed at the end of the game. Their lack of a decent bench also hurt them really bad when they started getting into major foul trouble.

They were gassed in the first half too. #2 was huffing and puffing throughout the first half and it only got worse for him as Tristan seemed to start running a lot more on the offensive and Reedus just couldn't keep up with him.

BTW, shout out to TTG-wonderful ref heckle last night. "keep looking, there still isn't a foul there". :thumbsu:

I'll go with the theory that any win right now is a good win. I was a bit surprised at the defensive effort and have to say it's the best defensive effort I have seen in awhile...not that good, but the effort was there. UNT couldn't keep their big guys from scoring down low and it seems every prayer shot they sent up went in for the Jags. But, the Mean green stayed with it, worked hard on defense, still threw up some really ugly and untimely shots on offense, but hit the shots when they needed to to get the win. GREAT JOB guys...I hope this helps get it going for you for the tournament. I guess we'll see the effects of the win Saturday at the Super Pit. Can't wait. I think good things are starting to return for the Mean Green! :rolleyes: Interesting that George was taking those shots near the free throw line and taking himself out of position for rebounding missed shots. he has a decent jumper...some went in some didn't but it was interesting to watch. A double double for George is a return to form after the Western Kentucky game last Saturday.

GREAT to get the win and it wasn't an easy one. Thanks to all who turned out to support the Mean green. I hope for a bigger crowd Saturday. Just have to show these guys that the Mean green faithful have no given up on them. BE THERE!

Defense did seem to pick up last night. Tristan and Kendrick were getting after it the first half.

Jacob Holmen: Really impressed with his shot selection last night. I thought he made real good decisions offensively. I don't remember who Holmen was guarding, but I do remember he was constantly defending from behind and the side.

This also has to go down as one of the most poorly officiated games in recent memory.

This also has to go down as one of the most poorly officiated games in recent memory.

actually the officiating was an improvement over recent ones... they actually let them play a bit... previous games have basically been ticky tack, hand check, and minimal body contact fouls combined with outright poor foul calls ... basically the flow of the game is: a team gains possession of ball, foul call, free throws, and then repeat sequence. They officiate as if bball is suppose to be a fully non-contact sport.

I wonder if there is actual data to support our observations that Sunbelt officials are excessive with their whistles?

actually the officiating was an improvement over recent ones... they actually let them play a bit... previous games have basically been ticky tack, hand check, and minimal body contact fouls combined with outright poor foul calls ... basically the flow of the game is: a team gains possession of ball, foul call, free throws, and then repeat sequence. They officiate as if bball is suppose to be a fully non-contact sport.

I wonder if there is actual data to support our observations that Sunbelt officials are excessive with their whistles?

There is no way to prove that since other conferences could just say that our players potentially play a more sloppy game of ball than theirs...(I don't agree at all) but just saying.