DRC article on BB signings,

OldTimer

UNT programs sign four athletes

Men’s basketball team gets Mitchell

04/17/2003

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

North Texas signed three basketball players to national letters of intent Thursday.

The Mean Green signed State Fair (Mo.) Community College guard Marqus Mitchell, while the Lady Eagles added Fort Bend Hightower post Talicia Sanders and Arkansas-Fort Smith shooting guard Jill Medlock.

The 6-0, 185-pound Mitchell, a two-time All-Region XIV selection, can play either guard position. He averaged 13.5 points on 55-percent shooting (40 percent from 3-point range) as a sophomore.

"Marqus will bring an added ingredient to our team that we didn’t possess last year with his ability as a true combo guard," UNT coach Johnny Jones said. "We think he will fill a huge void that was left by our graduating seniors."

Mitchell is the third member of the Mean Green’s current recruiting class. Houston Madison guard Calvin Watson and McLennan Community College forward Mike Jones signed in October. UNT has one remaining available scholarship.

The 5-7 Medlock is expected to replace Heather Trout, who will not play her senior season because of a degenerative condition in her foot. Medlock scored a team-high 14.6 points per game on 49-percent shooting for a 26-2 squad last season. She also averaged 3.9 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.6 steals per game.

"We were extremely fortunate to get Jill at this point in the process," Lady Eagles coach Tina Slinker said. "She is a very good shooter that should be able to help us right away, but the most important thing she will bring is leadership. She will be able to help us in a lot of ways."

The 6-2 Sanders averaged 15 points, seven rebounds, three steals and two blocks per game as a senior, helping Hightower advance to the Class 5A state semifinals.

"We are very excited about Talicia’s ability to run the court," Slinker said. "She is a big post player with great mobility and can play both the four and the five position. She played on a very successful high school team and knows what it takes win."

The additions of Medlock and Sanders gives the Lady Eagles four newcomers. UNT signed The Woodlands post Mia Ajekwu and Mansfield Summit forward Kelsie Hawkins in October.

Volleyball teams signs outside hitter

The Mean Green volleyball team signed Tara Hooser, a 6-0 outside hitter from Montgomery, Texas, to a national letter of intent on Wednesday.

Hooser was a four-year starter for Montgomery High School, where she led the team to the regional quarterfinals of the playoffs the last three seasons. She ranked 11th in the greater Houston area in kills as a senior with 2.9 per game. She was named first-team all-district, her high school co-MVP and All-County Player of the Year as a senior.

"Tara is a very good athlete that is going to bring a different look to our offense as a left-handed hitter," said UNT coach Cassie Headrick. "She hasn’t tapped her potential in terms of what she can do as a volleyball player, and we are very excited about the versatility that she is going to bring to this team in the future."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-566-6870.

We especially need two things this year...a presence in the middle and everyone to stay healthy.

JJ said that Barnett is learning well but he's not healthy enough to do it all. He needs another big body to relieve him. I'm guessing that Byrd must finish JC before he can transger??? Will Smith has his moments but he's just not that big and he couldn't stay healthy.

As good as Chris Davis was, the team pretty well tanked when Leonard Hopkins went out with an injury. Roniger also went out.

My main hope is that all remain healthy.

Granted I have not seen this kid play but how can we be impressed with him on paper. His bio is very similar to Jerome Rodgers. I believe Jerome will be a Jr as well. At least he has been in the system 2 years.

Why do we need a scoring 6-0 combo guard? At this height, I prefer a true point guard with T J Ford quickness.

I don't see how we have upgraded the point position. I noticed on another board that we lost out to Prairie View on another kid. (also considered SWTS & Sam Houston)

Where's Vic Trilli when we need him during this time of the season? Oh well, I hope like hell I'm wrong.

I hope I'm wrong too, but for a coach with a reputation as a great recruiter it beginning to look very suspect. With a last place team losing 3 starters the future doesn't look too bright. Recruiting seems to hinge on taking lightly recruited players and hoping someone develops or taking chances like the LSU transfer or JC transfer that had to set out a year.

Cooley- In response to your comments--Prairie View has never beaten the Mean Green on a player. Never will. You have posted something false. Jerome Rogers will be a senior next year. Jerome's bio isn't anything like Marqus Mitchell's bio. Of course we would all like to have a point with T J Ford quickness. He only won the Wooden and Naismith awards for the top player in the country this year. In response to GrandGreen's comments on our one year transfer from LSU--The number of one year transfers in college hoops this year is too large to put on this board.(R Jackson from Miss State to Marquette to Final 4- Nigel Dixon from Fla St. to WKU etc.....)

Lighten up Downtown!

Posting what I read on another board (that some 6-4 kid chose PV over UNT) is not false information. PV and other SWAC schools were actually better than our 02-03 squad. Frankly, I was being nice by comparing this Mitchell kid to Jerome Rogers. (On paper) Jerome's numbers were much better coming out of high school and the D1 level if JJ would keep him on the floor.

Jerome is a shooting guard playing the point. (combo) It sounds like Mitchell is also. Both are in the 5-10 - 6-0 range. Jerome can also explode with points in bunches. Rogers is also the quickest guard we have and would also average 2-3 steals a game.

Moreover, Jerome played against some of the top competition in the state (Dallas Lincoln, Dallas SOC, Dallas Kimball & Ft Worth Dunbar to name a few) State Fair Mo Community College didn't really play a final four type schedule; going up against the likes of Moberly, Three Rivers, SW Mo. St (West Plains) and Mineral Area.

Like I said previously, I hope I am wrong about this kid, however, I can only base my opinion on what we have done prior to now on the recruiting front (Ty Thomas, Lee Green, Ron Harris and Scott Roniger) Degrate actually committed to Trilli out of high school. Does the signing of Mitchell upgrade our talent? At the least put us on par with other Sun Belt schools?

I invite you to any southern Dallas area Rec Center to find other Mitchell types who are as quick as TJ Ford (Thurgood Marshall, Beckley/Saner, MLK Center or Singing Hills) We have to do a better job recruiting.

Mind you, we passed on Spud Webb. (not the current regime) SMU passed on Larry Johnson. TCU passed on Kenneth Lyons, UT passed on Keith Langford. Professionally, the Mavs passed on Karl Malone. Hell, Portland passed on Michael Jordon

There's an abundance of proven talent in the area for us not to have to reach for kids.

.Cooley- In response to your comments. Marqus Mitchell can't have Jerome's D1 stats because he hasn't played D1. But to compare SOC, Kimball, Lincoln to 3 Rivers, Moberly, and West Plains is absurd! Moberly finished #5 in the NJCAA in 02. 3 Rivers went to the national tourney this year and battled defending champ Dixie to the wire. These JC teams would SOUNDLY beat 99% of all high school teams in the country. (Mitchell had 25+ vs. both of these teams) Jerome avg. 1.1 steals this year by the way. Mitchell lead his region in steals. Jerome is 5'9" and plays the point. He may be comfortable at the off guard spot but most 2's are 6'0" or better. Jerome has good quicks but is not the explosive athlete that Mitchell is. Name one H.S. guard from the "rec centers" you frequent that are better than Jerome besides- Tac Minor-LSU, Acie Law-Tex AM, that are seniors and have the quickness of TJ Ford. The next best SR guards in the state are Drew Coffman-Midland Lee-Texas Tech, and Ryan Wall-Coppell-New Mexico. Marqus Mitchell is better than both of these guys. I would compare Mitchell to Kenneth Kelley of Carter HS-Tulsa Univ. But right now Mitchell is better because of age and experience. If the Mean Green has passed on an NBA caliber talent from DFW or your "rec centers" say who they are. Larry Johnson and Spud are from the 80's- and in the 80's guys like Mitch Richmond were at Moberly-K-State-NBA and Latrell Sprewell played at 3 Rivers-Alabama-NBA to Coach choking. I'm ramblin' now. Get your info correct. PV has NEVER beaten the Mean Green on a player!!!

I'm impressed. Both you guys seem to know your hoops and players. So, here's the real questions for you:

Will UNT be better next season? How much can Hopkins and Will Smith, if both are recovered from their injuries, plus Mitchell, the LSU transfer, and the other returnees improve our record?

NT80- I believe the Mean Green will be better next year. We must remember that this team was injury plagued this past year. Hopkins and Roniger missed most of the year. Will missed about two months. J Green missed several games as did Davis. Barnett missed several games as well. I really believe the Hopkins injury was the one that hurt the team the most. With the addition of the LSU trans. and Mitchell, Mike Jones(One of only 3 All-Americans in the history of MCC including Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson) and Calvin Watson-MVP of his 5A Dist. in Houston the Mean Green should be improved. They need to stay healthy.

Cooley- Moberly's team from 02 had a great team. Their point signed with Fla. State and had a good year this year for the Noles'. Their small forward signed with E Carolina(Conf USA) and their post signed with St. Johns this fall. They had several other guys go D1 as well. If Lincoln's national championship H.S. team played Moberly of 02 I would take Moberly over B Hopkins and Bosh because of depth and experience. Moberly would for sure beat the STEW out of SOC,Kimball,and any other HS team in the USA. Marqus Mitchell hit seven three's on Moberly that year. In the second half.

NT80- Don't believe the Prairie View nonsense.

Cooley- Mitchell canceled visits to SW Missouri, Montana, La. Tech. Was recruited by Baylor and several other quality D1 programs. Tell us who the other Mitchell types at the "rec" are. Are they HS SRS? Are they available? Are they as quick as Ford? Ford is the quickest hoops man on the planet. I'll take someone who is almost as quick as Ford. Where is he? Are they just quick or can they play too?

Move over Little Joe Hamilton; step aside Weasel Johnson. Marquis Mitchell is coming to town. Happy days are here again!

We should all be happy that PV didn't beat UNT out for this prize recruit. Our program is really on the rise. Marquis actually cancelled trips to SW Mo. St, Manhattan and Montana.

The Greater Baton Rouge area is now the mecca of high school basketball.

Now that we all have been educated about the top Juco programs in the country, our coaches should camp out annually in places like Sedalia Mo. and Mineral Area.

Despite half of UNT's roster developing their skills at southern Dallas Rec Centers, we shouldn't think that these center are a great place to see talent. I wonder if our top recruit Mike Jones (MCC) has spent most of his summers playing in these sames centers. (just a few blocks away from Lancaster, Tx)

Does anyone really believe that any of these Juco schools could compete with the National Champion Dallas Lincoln squad? Speaking of going way back, didn't Latwell Sprewell play at Moberly like 10-15 years ago? Can we talk about some modern day talent at Mineral Area?

If you haven't noticed, most great high school players are electing to straight to the NBA. (Not Juco) Chris Bosh is projected to be a lottery pick if he comes out this year. Quinton Ross of Dallas Kimball was the player of the year in the WAC. Jeryl Sasser (Dallas Kimball) was an NBA first rounder. UNT's Chris Davis (Dallas Kimball) was 1st team Sunbelt. The Duncanville girls team defeated one of the top Juco women's team this year.

Please don't compare the talent of Dallas/Ft Worth area to places like Mineral Area & State Fair Mo.

Downtown, I like you! The basketball side is too quiet.

Great, passion on the bb board. I hope you are right about Mitchell. However a point guard that averaged 12.2 points for a last place jc team and does not show in the top 10 in the conference in assists does not usually excite many fans.

Downtown, I do enjoy your optimistic view; what is your take on Mike Jones?

Below is the story Cooley read. The Mean green are in good company. Hawthorne also turned down WAC regular season Champ Fresno State, a 20-game winner last season.

PRAIRIE VIEW, TEX - The Prairie View A&M University Panther basketball program has signed three high school prepsters to NCAA National Letters of Intent on the first day of the spring signing period. The list of new Panthers include Phillip Hawthorne, Clyde Pride and Lonnie Wyche.

Hawthorne, a 6-4, 190-pound small forward from Alief Hastings High School in Houston, earned second team Class 5A All-State honors and was selected to the Region III-5A first team by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches (TABC). He also earned a spot on the District 19-5A first team, averaging 13 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.6 steals per game.

Hawthorne selected Prairie View over Fresno State, North Texas, Southwest Texas State and Stephen F. Austin.

Fellas- Let me help you out. Cooley is our new Iraqi minister of misinformation. First, NT signed SMALL FORWARD M Jones(6'7") and OFF GUARD-SMALL FORWARD Calvin Watson in the early signing period. They weren't recruiting Hawthorne of PV. Neither was Fresno. NT doesn't need a small forward.

The JC girls team that D-ville beat was Hill JC, one of the WORST not best JC girls teams in the country.(Hardly comparable to Moberly and 3 Rivers)

Of the 24 Big Mac's last year only 3 or 4 declared for the draft. Hardly a majority of the great HS players. There are too many former JC players in the League to post on this board(STeve Francis,Van Excel,Avery Johnson,Eddie Robinson,Robert Pack off the top of my head) Most top 20 JC programs will have 5 to 8 or 9 guys sign D1. Moberly 02 would beat Lincoln and Bosh.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I know of a guy that plays in the rec league that Coach Jones has personally kept in contact with. He would probably just be a practice teamer at first, and his position has some players up there already so it would be hard for him to get PT in a real game.

The PEB should not be considered a source of talent, but it should not be completely ignored either.