Immediate Impact Players

Powers is a starting tight end from day one. I gotta think that the Juco QB Osborn may be the guy to beat at QB. Of the remaining guys I would think Kerry Swarn at safety, Michael Stojkovic on special teams, Terell Brooks at defensive tackle, Freddie Warner at corner and special teams. Laramie Lee will help us somewhere likely special teams and Chad Polk is good enough to help us at linebacker now. I really like Polk and Lee, they just have a physical nose for the ball that we need.

Powers - Does a woodchuck chuck wood?

Osborn - I get the feeling that he's the starting quarterback.

Brooks - Will work into the rotation

Thompson - He and Brooks are the DTs of the future

Warner - At least on special teams

Akunne - Could easily be Orr's backup

Stojkovic - Could be on both special teams and some OLB

Swarn - He's good enough but how much will he be needed?

Whitfield - He needs some PT since he looks like the man for 12.

These look like the ones that are/will be ready by fall but it wouldn't surprise me that much to see others. Coach Mac has said that he will play a lot of people and I believe him. It's good for team morale and doesn't leave you totally without experience when your senior starters graduate (think defensive tackles).

• Upvote 4

These look like the ones that are/will be ready by fall but it wouldn't surprise me that much to see others. Coach Mac has said that he will play a lot of people and I believe him. It's good for team morale and doesn't leave you totally without experience when your senior starters graduate (think defensive tackles).

It was awesome that Coach Mac said that (I'm paraphrasing) the team doesn't look like a D1 postseason caliber team from a physical standpoint, but that they would by the time September rolls around. With that mentality and brutal honesty, we may see some real development over the summer.

I like that we're sending every commit a workout DVD and plan. Kids need structure and a plan. 18 yr olds very rarely have the knowledge and discipline to prepare their body for the collegiate game.

I'd say GreyEagle pretty much nailed it.

More players getting more playing time, means less fatigue for each player, which should equate to sharper execution and higher effort on every snap. Not to mention the added development across the board and the drawing in of players. If you know a lot of guys are going to play, you're going to go harder every day in practice and workouts, knowing you'll get your shot. Also breeds insane competition, which drives players to be better.

"We're not gonna have guys running around with their tongue's draggin on our brand new turf."

Edited by FloMoGrad

I was thinking about that recently; somewhere it was noted that the starting DT's were basically used almost every defensive play last year. I thought it looked like Cantly, Abbe, and White were being worked in more after Chico took over as interim. I wonder if that was just part of what the previous staff thought would win them enough games to stay on, and not really thinking past 2010. And I have heard the defensive coaches at Euless Trinity mention that playing a lot of guys on the line not only keeps them fresh, but also helps morale.

I was thinking about that recently; somewhere it was noted that the starting DT's were basically used almost every defensive play last year. I thought it looked like Cantly, Abbe, and White were being worked in more after Chico took over as interim. I wonder if that was just part of what the previous staff thought would win them enough games to stay on, and not really thinking past 2010. And I have heard the defensive coaches at Euless Trinity mention that playing a lot of guys on the line not only keeps them fresh, but also helps morale.

The more guys that play, the more guys you have "in" the game mentally, ready to step in and contribute, dialed in, learning while playing. Guys standing on the sideline knowing their not going in save for injury or blowout typically zone out during the game.

Also makes practices more intense as you know you're going to get a shot come Saturday, so better learn the plan and be prepared for that, and compete everyday, to earn more time. Even Alabama rotates their D-Lines constantly. Those Big Boys need a couple 3 plays off some times to catch a breath and recharge. Keeps everyone fresher and more intense throughout the course of a game and season. Also reduces the risk of injuries, as most injuries occur once fatigue starts to set in, along with mental mistakes and a whole slew of bad things.

If we're not big enough, per coach Mac, then we damn sure better outwork every opponent. Playing more guys can help us do that.

Loved Coach Mac's comment about championships being won with defense. Just look at our teams from the early 00's when we were winning the Belt, or our success in the 60's and 70's. All were led by strong defenses. It was one thing I felt I could always count on as a Mean Green fan and I really missed the emphasis on defense during recent years.

Obviously, the two jucos will be the most likely to be factors next year, both could be starters. A lot of the recruits are at fairly loaded positions like db and rb. It is highly unusual for offensive line men to play much their first year. The defensive line is a need area but unlike many I don't see any new players pushing for starter minutes. Even though NT doesn't have any real standouts coming back in the defensive line, I see McCoy, Obi, Gaines and Akpunku the de rotation. At dt, Cantly, Abbe, and White should be ahead of the newcomers. Jones could challenge for QB but would be behind both Thompson and Osborn. I think all three linebackers could be in the rotation with Phillips and Orr the only sure things. DB is senior laden with McCord, Hill, Downing, Cook and Shorter and hopefully recovered junior Ford joining the mix. The best NT recruits are dbs and the freshmen may be good enough to get a lot of play time but it is not sure thing.

My pick for freshman to click, Stojkovic with Swarm and Warner next.

• Upvote 1