Torrance Carr, Athlete

SUMG

Brett says they recruited him as a safety. That makes 3 in this class, probably 4 if McNulty moves to the defensive side of the ball. I'd say we're good there.

Glad to have Torrance aboard.

Great athletes, who play QB in high school.....are so versatile. I love when we sign guys like this. I know of three former high school QBs on our team....who are playing different positions at NT. (James Hamilton--running back; Darius Carey---wide receiver; Jeremy Phillips---linebacker). There are probably more....those three just come to mind.

Welcome aboard Torrance.

He projects as one heck of a WR as well, and mentioned coaching staff spoke to him about playing on either side of the ball. Might be our 2nd WR recruit and not out 3rd/4th safety.

Or he could very well RS and add 15-20 lbs and play OLB, move speed closer to the line of scrimmage philosophy,

Either way, heck of an athlete, love who we out competed to recruit him, and welcome aboard Torrance, glad to have you!

This is a great recruiting class, but I'm just saying, comparitably speaking, that this is on par with what we've done the last 3 years. 97and03 hit the nail on the head, plus add the fact that Rivals.com is giving out 3*s like candy nowadays and we have a good recruiting class to go with our previous three.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a great recruiting class, but I'm just saying, comparitably speaking, that this is on par with what we've done the last 3 years. 97and03 hit the nail on the head, plus add the fact that Rivals.com is giving out 3*s like candy nowadays and we have a good recruiting class to go with our previous three.

So you're saying Dodge just couldnt coach them? Completely agree.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I could care less about what the recruiting sites say and how they rate players. Their rating system is a failed system through and through.

What I care about is what the guys who have actually played and coached the game, who watch the films of the players, who go see them play and visit with them in person, and most importantly, MUST make an evaluation of them because their professional employment is at stake, have to say. And those would be the university recruiters whose jobs depend on them getting the evaluations right the first time or they are usually out the door tomorrow if they get it wrong. And maybe I'm wrong, but outside of Riley decommitting from Texas, which doesn't really count at all in this regard, I don't recall any other Dodge player decommitting from a AQ BCS program and commit to NT? This class has two by my count, so far? Nor do I recall any of Dodge's, or even Dickey's classes for that matter, having as many players accepting offers from NT over offers from AQ BCS programs as this class has, although I do acknowledge that McCarney has more to offer recruits today than any other coach at NT has had, and probably a much larger recruiting budget to work with as well.

Regardless of why they are here, if by going by the opinions of those whose jobs rely the most on their evaluations being correct, then this class has been the best haul so far over any other class that I recall.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

I could care less about what the recruiting sites say and how they rate players. Their rating system is a failed system through and through.

What I care about is what the guys who have actually played and coached the game, who watch the films of the players, who go see them play and visit with them in person, and most importantly, MUST make an evaluation of them because their professional employment is at stake, have to say. And those would be the university recruiters whose jobs depend on them getting the evaluations right the first time or they are usually out the door tomorrow if they get it wrong. And maybe I'm wrong, but outside of Riley decommitting from Texas, which doesn't really count at all in this regard, I don't recall any other Dodge player decommitting from a AQ BCS program and commit to NT? This class has two by my count, so far? Nor do I recall any of Dodge's, or even Dickey's classes for that matter, having as many players accepting offers from NT over offers from AQ BCS programs as this class has, although I do acknowledge that McCarney has more to offer recruits today than any other coach at NT has had, and probably a much larger recruiting budget to work with as well.

Regardless of why they are here, if by going by the opinions of those whose jobs rely the most on their evaluations being correct, then this class has been the best haul so far over any other class that I recall.

Rick

Yes, I have been noticing this over the last few (very few) days, and it has been a joy to see. It kind of validates the way so many of us feel about UNT, that it's a great place to go to college.

I agree with you. The difference is the attention being paid to the defensive side of the ball.

Plus the fact that we have not signed 15 wide receivers this year.

• Upvote 3

Rick

So true. Previously, we were picking up 3* guys who didn't have much interest from the people who really knew what was going on. The difference in this regard has been night and day.

I am extremely excited about this class, but as 97and03 mentioned, we have had recent classes as highly rated as this one.

For instance:

2010: 8 - 3 star recruits out of 22 committments. These eight also held published offers from the likes of SMU, UTEP, New Mexico and San Diego State (Bellazin), East Carolina and Kansas State (Steven Ford), La. Tech, San Diego State, Tulsa and UTEP (Zach Orr), Louisville, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and South Florida (D'Andre Wood)

2008: 8 - 3 star recruits out of 26 committemnts. These eight held offers from TCU, Utah, and West Virginia (DaWaylon Cook), Missouri, Rice, SMU, Texas and Tulsa (Riley Dodge), Ole Miss and NMSU (Justin Edwards), Colorado State and Tulsa (Troy Franklin), Kentucky, Ula-La, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP and Washington State (James Hamilton) and Kansas State and Southern Miss (Alonzo Horton).

Then again, some of these like Horton and Edwards were academic risks, but those offering showed many thought highly of their talent.

The best judge of any recruiting class is to revisit it 4 or 5 years down the road to see how they produced.

The best judge of any recruiting class is to revisit it 4 or 5 years down the road to see how they produced.

Bingo. Right now it's all speculation. But I like the speculation we've seen so far, and I still feel that overall, considering all the positions we've filled, this is one of our most solid classes. Remember, we've still got 5 or 6 days for those last few 3-4 star recruits to crawl out the proverbial woodwork.

Don't count Coach Gaines out yet, I don't think he's done with his Green Magic.

But the 3 commits from yesterday look so solid.

Skill position players are a dime a dozen. The beef is the most difficult to get, and may be what is the most impressive thing with this class, something we also haven't seen in the past with multiple linemen who have decommitted from AQ BCS programs to sign with NT(2 so far), or simply accept offers at NT over offers from AQ BCS programs. Overall 4 linemen have chosen NT over other offers from AQ BCS in McCarny's first class so far.

It's obvious this group of recruiters know what they are doing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

We have picked up a lot of large DE's and S's and are worried about our DT's.

I know this isn't Coach Mac's preferred scheme, but maybe we run out a 3-4? Maybe even go crazy and have a 3-3-5?

Looking at the roster we are going to have something like 150 DE's and S's next year.

If we run a scheme that cuts down on the amount of down linemen, we can move some of those DE's and S's to LB and hybrid LB/S positions.

I think that is what TCU did when they first started their rise to get around not being able to recruit top level interior linemen.

DeMarcus Ware played with his hand on the ground at Troy, but he turned out to be a hell of a linebacker.