Womens BB, DMN, 1 player to transfer, 1 dismissed,

OldTimer

Guard won't play senior season

DENTON – UNT shooting guard Heather Trout will not play her senior season because of a degenerative condition in her left navicular joint, which controls lateral movement in the ankle. Trout averaged 7.7 points and 4.0 rebounds per game in 2002-03.

Also, coach Tina Slinker said freshman point guard Nahogany Brown decided to transfer because of a lack of playing time, and freshman forward Jasmine Williams was dismissed from the team for repeated violations of team rules.

Tim MacMahon

Here's the full Denton Record Chronicle story:

Basketball: UNT’s Trout quits due to injury

Guard has degenerative condition in ankle joint

04/11/2003

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

North Texas shooting guard Heather Trout’s has heeded her doctor’s demand that she quit playing basketball.

Heather Trout

Trout was diagnosed nearly two years ago with a degenerative condition in her left navicular joint, which is located in the middle of the ankle and controls lateral movement.

She played through the pain the last two seasons — often riding the exercise bike during practice to limit the wear and tear on the injury — and averaged 7.7 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior in 2002-03.

According to her doctor, Trout will have to undergo fusion surgery on the joint at some point. Such an operation routinely leads to several other operations. If she continued playing, it would have significantly sped up the timeframe in which surgery was necessary.

"Obviously, I’m not happy about it," Trout said. "But I know in the long term it’s going to be a lot better for my health. I want to be able to do everyday activity when I’m 40 without using a cane."

Added coach Tina Slinker: "Her doctor couldn’t even believe she’d been playing because of the pain. But you know how tough Heather is."

Despite having limited lateral movement, Trout was one of the Lady Eagles’ best perimeter defenders. She also had the best perimeter shooting touch of UNT’s guards.

Trout’s toughness, however, was the most impressive attribute in her game. In addition to playing on a chronically sore leg, Trout missed only one game after breaking her nose last season.

"She has such passion for the game and loyalty to the program," Slinker said. "Her leadership is going to be something that’s very hard to replace. Her work ethic is one of the best that I’ve ever coached."

Slinker said she is searching the junior-college ranks to find a player who can immediately replace Trout’s ability to shoot the ball, something that is in short supply on the Lady Eagles’ roster.

Trout, who intends to enter the coaching profession after graduating, will remain involved in the program. Slinker said she wants to treat Trout as much like a player as possible, while Trout said she hopes to gain experience that will be helpful in her career.

"It’s going to be difficult watching," Trout said. "But if I think in my mind that I’m doing something that’s going to be in my future, it would be easier than if I’m just there. I’d like to get a jump start on what I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life."

Two freshman will not return

A pair of freshmen — point guard Nahogany Brown and forward Jasmine Williams — have left the UNT women’s basketball program.

Brown told coaches she plans to transfer because she was not satisfied with backing up classmate Erika Bobo.

"We tried to get her to stay because she’s a great kid," Slinker said. "She said that she was happy with the program, the coaches and her team, but she wanted to be the main point guard."

Slinker said Williams was dismissed because of repeated violations of team rules.

I know Heather has been battling injuries since she got here, and has been playing through the inury a lot of the time. My history teacher even called her a "stud" a few years ago. She would limp into class with a brace on her leg and then play in the basketball game that night. She is a gamer and will be a big loss for the Lady Eagles.

Hate to hear that Trout will not be able to play her senior year, she was one tough player. Disagree that losing the two freshmen will hurt the program. Three point guards in one class did not seem to make sense. Wish Ms. Brown the best and hope she finds a good school to transfer to.

Two more ships available should greater help the team.

Nahognay Brown had too much of a shoot philsophy...she would throw up a long 3 the minute she got in a game.

I don't think losing the two freshmen will hurt us, neither played very much this year. Where I see help is that we recruited 8 players last year..this will allow two more players to be added this year plus hopefully an outside shooter stud to replace Heather.... and spread out our replacements instead of having 8 ships lost in one year.