TT BB players leave, released from ship

OldTimer

Knight releases two from scholarships

Basketball players Doudney, Michalec looking to transfer

04/10/2003

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

LUBBOCK – Texas Tech sophomores Nathan Doudney and Mickey Michalec said Thursday that coach Bob Knight has released them from their scholarships and plan to transfer.

Neither Doudney nor Michalec had negative things to say about the Red Raiders or Knight. But both players gave cryptic answers as to how they arrived at their decisions, and both said they did not want to say anything that offended anyone.

"It was just the best decision for myself, the university and for the rest of the team and the staff that I put myself in a different situation," said Doudney, who informed Knight on Tuesday morning.

When asked if Knight persuaded him to stay, Doudney said, "I don't want to answer that."

Knight was out of town Thursday and could not be reached for comment.

Doudney, a former Rockwall standout, jumped through considerable hoops just to enroll at Tech. He first signed with Tulsa but changed his mind when then-coach Buzz Peterson left for Tennessee. Doudney and his mother, Nancy, struck a deal with Tulsa officials that he would be denied acceptance into the university, which would void the original letter of intent without losing any eligibility.

Officially, Doudney was a walk-on as a freshman. But the 6-4 guard quickly proved he had a long-range touch, making 38.5 percent of his 3-pointers and averaging 4.9 points per game.

Knight, however, wanted Doudney to develop into a well-rounded guard by penetrating and playing better defense. Doudney was frustrated at times and unsure whether to shoot or drive.

Doudney had a spectacular performance against Texas in the Big 12 tournament, sinking 7-of-9 3-pointers and scoring a career-high 25 points. But afterward, Knight said: "Doudney has been real disappointing over the course of the year."

Doudney finished the season shooting 37 percent from 3-point range and averaging 4.1 points per game. He has been contacted by other schools but declined to say whom.

Michalec, a 6-10 center from Skiatook, Okla., was labeled a project when he signed and never made considerable gains in two seasons. He played in 14 games this season and averaged 5.1 minutes per game.

"Coach gave me a great opportunity, and I just wasn't happy here," Michalec said. "It didn't have anything to do with the staff or anything like that. I didn't have any confrontations with anybody."

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com