Augusta-Masters Fiasco

res1dg16

I have worked in the private club industry for 12 years, but never for one that didn't allow women or minorities in. In any event, I do understand a private clubs right to choose who to accept and who to turn away. This is what makes these clubs private. Is this right or wrong? I don't really know the right answer on this one, but because these clubs, such as Augusta National are private, they have the right to choose.

I have a question for Ms. Burk though. She is the president for the National Organizations for Women, or something to that effect. Do these Women's Organizations allow men in?

There are alot of organizations in our nation that cater to specific races, genders, ages, etc... that are not deemed racist or sexist. But, alot of the members of these organizations denounce organizations that may exclude them. I just don't understand the logic sometimes. If the meaning or mission of these organizations is honorable, for lack of a better word, and doesn't "hurt" other groups, then they should be okay.

Besides, I really would have rather been in a sorority in college, for selfish reasons, but my gender determined I should be in a fraternity. I didn't denounce sororities for their exclusionary admissions. cool.gif

Great discussion idea,

I can't help but think that a little bit of tact would have gone a long way with this fight. Rather than "demanding" that Augusta adhere to her will before the Masters rolled around, perhaps Burk could have set up a commission to study the issue jointly with the club.. and actually show the a group of or at least ONE lady that had applied and been turned down by the club. Fact is, there isn't one. Whewre is the prejudice if nobody is being hurt other than her ego?

I think that the fact that less than 40 people showed up for her little protest this weekend pretty much summed it up (and that is the 4 day total by the way.. one day had 7 people). Gotta hand it to the media's facination with the KKK, all I have heard for the last month is that the KKK was going to be there. The fact is that the KKK refused to come but rather a "splniter" group of the KKK came. This is actually ONE person. That's right ONE person that was told by the KK that he had the right to protest if he wanted and that was his perogative, but the protest was not an official KKK cause and they would not back him on it. So in all we have this count for protestors this weekend:

40 total (over a 4 day period) FOR Martha's cause.

1 SPLINTER member that happens to also beling to the KKK.

127 Media members covering the event to their displeasure.

Sounds like the Media both won and lost. They won because they outnumbered the protestors by over 3 times as many people. They lost because it was a total smooze fest where on all three days (first day of the 4 was cancelled due to rain) they were done filming by 11 a.m.

Laughable, good for Hootie for not being "handled" by this individual.