George And Hank - Mgrn

ipEAGLE

I was listening earlier to the SMU radio broadcast and it was almost embarrassing. One broadcaster is decent (guy from the Ticket), while the other guy sounds like he should be broadcasting High School football.

I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have George and Hank, I would put them up against anyone. The football broadcasts are top notch.

Thanks George and Hank, we appreciate all you do!!

There are several people from the Ticket (Rich Phillips) that are part of the broadcasting crew, including Sean Bass of North Texas fame. I don't have a huge problem with the color guy (John Hampton).

• Upvote 1

I'm a big fan of black jerseys and think our Kelly Green looks great with them, but SMU's new bowl uniform is hideous. Not to mention the helmets clash with the entire thing. Fugly.

Can't believe Army is dominating this game. Can't believe I put money on the over....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like Rich, but he is annoying and an over the top smuT homer. He is on par with Craig Way in Austin, and I just love the fact that he graduated from NT, yet walks around in pony crap. The color guy they had one or two years ago was the worst ever, both at his job AND at cheerleading. The ONLY reason I'd ever listen to the radio broadcast is either Im on the road and there is no game on any other station, and to hear them call a defeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Except that inside of 30 seconds he referred to SMU as TCU, and Army as Navy. Who the heck is playing again????

I guess that is what I get for not really paying attention in the first place. If it had been an NT broadcast I would have noticed.

I like Rich, but he is annoying and an over the top smuT homer. He is on par with Craig Way in Austin, and I just love the fact that he graduated from NT, yet walks around in pony crap. The color guy they had one or two years ago was the worst ever, both at his job AND at cheerleading. The ONLY reason I'd ever listen to the radio broadcast is either Im on the road and there is no game on any other station, and to hear them call a defeat.

Craig Way graduated from North Texas also.

• Upvote 1

Good greif seriously? Yes they graduated from NT but they work for SMU and UT respectively. Rich Phillips has been the play by play for SMU for a really long time....so yes he will be a fan of theirs. He doesn't put NT down. As for Craig Way I can't say I know a ton about him but he's the play by play for UT...so automatically he will have some sort of rooting interest for UT which is understandable and common sense.

Your dogging of Rich Phillips and Craig way is a complete joke.

Ditto. I hear Craig Way on his daily talk show on 1300AM in Austin. He never shys away from claiming his alma mater, and is very complimentary of North Texas. But UT is the one that writes his checks, it's his job to 'root' for the Horns.

• Upvote 2

I was listening earlier to the SMU radio broadcast and it was almost embarrassing. One broadcaster is decent (guy from the Ticket), while the other guy sounds like he should be broadcasting High School football.

I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have George and Hank, I would put them up against anyone. The football broadcasts are top notch.

Thanks George and Hank, we appreciate all you do!!

AMEN...agree 100%! Many thanks.

• Downvote 1

The A$M broadcasts are bad. You don't really now what's going on in the game.

Craig Way is a very good sportscaster and proud to be from NT.

I'm just amazed that George and Hank never completely lost their sanity through the Dodge disaster. They do a good presentation.

Edited by gruu
  • Upvote 1

If you REALLY want to appreciate them, listen to an A&M broadcast. If I was into making lists, Dave South would easily be in my top 5 worst things to ever happen to college sports.

Do tell why you would be listening to an A&M broadcast in the first place???? Unless A&M was playing UNT I would have absolutely ZERO reason to listen to an A&M broadcast. Are you a closet Aggie? That might just explain more than anything else. :startle:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Good greif seriously? Yes they graduated from NT but they work for SMU and UT respectively. Rich Phillips has been the play by play for SMU for a really long time....so yes he will be a fan of theirs. He doesn't put NT down. As for Craig Way I can't say I know a ton about him but he's the play by play for UT...so automatically he will have some sort of rooting interest for UT which is understandable and common sense.

Yep. They're broadcasters who took an opportunity to call college football games. As the voice of those schools, they're going to have some affiliation with them regardless of where they went to school.

Do UNT alums expect all of our great radio/TV graduates to only work for UNT? Seems like a tough way to make a living waiting for George to get tired of calling our games.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3

I don't think any school has a better play-by-play announcer than George Dunham. But there is one beef I have with him -- he is too reluctant to ever offer constructive criticism of the current coach, either in broadcasts or on The Ticket. At some point you'd like to hear what he truly thinks when the wheels are off.