This Is Pretty Cool

DeepGreen

This video has been making the rounds for several weeks but I resisted posting it as I did not want to sound like a broken record.

In the old days, this was how all marching bands performed, and no one did it better than North Texas. At any given halftime, you could see an eagle flying across the field, a typewriter complete with a movable carriage with keys going up and down, a tiger in a cage, a steam boat sailing across the 50 yard line, etc, etc. And the crowd ate it up! And as I have said, we presented a new show every game.

Kudos to Hawaii for having the vision to realize that this corps style of marching that permeates almost every marching band, including our own, is about as exciting as watching a house plant grow.

• Upvote 5

In 1981, we did the Apollo command module "flying" down the field during our show at UT. Bob Winslow got whoever did the FB team game film to also film our show for us, and we got to see it the next week - it looked pretty cool.

The Halloween show a couple of years ago, where the whole band did the dance from "Thriller", was fun.

To have such a fantastic music school, the Mean Green marching band has certainly become "average" at best and seems to be no longer a "marching band" but rather a "stand still" and play "who knows what" music at half-time band.

The marching band really does need to "step it up" and get back to its exciting and entertaining halftime routines. Heck, there was a time when people actually stayed in their seats at half-time to watch and some people actually came to games just to see the half-time show. Sadly, those days are very very long gone, but they are not forgotten. The talent is there to be the best marching band in the nation and have highlights shown on national TV shows. The only thing that seems to be missing to me is the "want too". Complacency seems to be the order of the day.

I am VERY proud of the marching band and think it has a long and outstanding history of excellence. It just bothers me to see the pride of UNT be so willing to be so average these days. I do wish it were no so, but, alas, it is so.

I hope with the new stadium and a new attitude from the football team and coaching staff that we will see a like-wise change in attitude from the UNT marching band and its leadership in 2011. Can happen...hope it does.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

That's the first time I've even seen or even conceived of something like that. Look, I know the Green Brigade is supposed to be something special, and I don't mean to denigrate the kids who participate in it, but I've got to agree that watching them stand still and play the same repertoire of three songs every game is about as exciting as Olympic mixed doubles curling.

• Upvote 1

That's the first time I've even seen or even conceived of something like that. Look, I know the Green Brigade is supposed to be something special, and I don't mean to denigrate the kids who participate in it, but I've got to agree that watching them stand still and play the same repertoire of three songs every game is about as exciting as Olympic mixed doubles curling.

I could watch that stuff all day long.

• Downvote 1

This video has been making the rounds for several weeks but I resisted posting it as I did not want to sound like a broken record.

In the old days, this was how all marching bands performed, and no one did it better than North Texas. At any given halftime, you could see an eagle flying across the field, a typewriter complete with a movable carriage with keys going up and down, a tiger in a cage, a steam boat sailing across the 50 yard line, etc, etc. And the crowd ate it up! And as I have said, we presented a new show every game.

Kudos to Hawaii for having the vision to realize that this corps style of marching that permeates almost every marching band, including our own, is about as exciting as watching a house plant grow.

This video was beyond "pretty cool" IMHO--it was simply amazing.

But I find it shocking to hear that North Texas ever did anything comparable to this. Our band's marching routines have always been among the most lackadaisical I have seen.

But mixed curling is fun

To have such a fantastic music school, the Mean Green marching band has certainly become "average" at best and seems to be no longer a "marching band" but rather a "stand still" and play "who knows what" music at half-time band.

The marching band really does need to "step it up" and get back to its exciting and entertaining halftime routines. Heck, there was a time when people actually stayed in their seats at half-time to watch and some people actually came to games just to see the half-time show. Sadly, those days are very very long gone, but they are not forgotten. The talent is there to be the best marching band in the nation and have highlights shown on national TV shows. The only thing that seems to be missing to me is the "want too". Complacency seems to be the order of the day.

I am VERY proud of the marching band and think it has a long and outstanding history of excellence. It just bothers me to see the pride of UNT be so willing to be so average these days. I do wish it were no so, but, alas, it is so.

I hope with the new stadium and a new attitude from the football team and coaching staff that we will see a like-wise change in attitude from the UNT marching band and its leadership in 2011. Can happen...hope it does.

GO MEAN GREEN!

The speed of the captain, the speed of the crew. It's the bands leadership that needs to "jack up" the green brigades performances.