Juco Dt Josh Thompson Spurns Scholarships

SUMG

According to Scout....this guy has turned down multiple scholarship offers for a chance to walk-on at Oklahoma State:

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=8&c=1&nid=4921224

I think we'll be fine with Coach Mc as a recruiter (in future classes). But I'm very worried about this particular class....we seem to lose out on every D lineman that we're after. Just today, DE Sean Brown commits to NMSU and now this guy is going to walk-on at Okla. State.

I'd be more concerned about this if the guy hadn't had 7 other offers that he turned down. I'm confident that Coach McCarney will work his contacts and hopefully come up with some d-linemen. In the meantime, players like Mr. Cantley (and others) need to decide if he/they are serious about doing more than having "great potential".

• Upvote 1

I'd be more concerned about this if the guy hadn't had 7 other offers that he turned down. I'm confident that Coach McCarney will work his contacts and hopefully come up with some d-linemen. In the meantime, players like Mr. Cantley (and others) need to decide if he/they are serious about doing more than having "great potential".

Looks more and more like we're gonna have to do the best with what we got here. I'm all for grabbing a stud to plug this hole, but the more and more we read and hear, sounds like we're coming up empty on all of our fishing expeditions.

Year after year this same discusion.

All programs ONLY have so many scholarships and not everyone who wants to be selected will be selected for a scholarship.

NT, like all other similar programs, are a product of "trickle down economics." IMHO, there is nothing wrong with showing intresest in these JUCO's becuase, who knows, where they want to go and where they end up are two different stories. Some of these kids usually end up saying the phrase..."I sure am glad that coach (name one) kept after me." Translated: I got turned down by all the BCS programs and it was between two Non AQ schools, SHSU and Sul Ross.

• Upvote 2

According to Scout....this guy has turned down multiple scholarship offers for a chance to walk-on at Oklahoma State:

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=8&c=1&nid=4921224

I think we'll be fine with Coach Mc as a recruiter (in future classes). But I'm very worried about this particular class....we seem to lose out on every D lineman that we're after. Just today, DE Sean Brown commits to NMSU and now this guy is going to walk-on at Okla. State.

Would be curious with the entire recruiting circumstance surrounding DE Sean Brown and how he'd choose any school in the fast fading WAC over North Texas. Hell, did he even visit us to see that new stadium and the Mean Green Village? He must have a girl friend enrolled at Las Cruces! :D

I know we won't get them all, but now who we recruit against for these kids should even start showing "school name" dramatic differences across the board.

It's always been difficult for non AQ conference schools to get the better linemen and is why a coaching staff's ability to evalute talent that will be able to develop once on campus is so important.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A couple of thought, in terms of mid term juco's, we are in a bad spot mainly because a lot of the good ones were gone before McCarney set foot in here. Secondly - If you look into the background of not just McCarney but also his assistants they have a proven track record of landing good sometime great talent of the three four star variety. This is a dramatically different coaching group than what we have had in the past. If you want to assign blame, remember Dodge basically sold out to the juco route to save his job the last couple of years... this has not put the program in a good position, ie we lose our two starting defensive tackles in the same year. I would personally prefer taking it on the chin this year record wise if it means we can start rebuilding this program with quality high school recruits. GMG!

Looks more and more like we're gonna have to do the best with what we got here. I'm all for grabbing a stud to plug this hole, but the more and more we read and hear, sounds like we're coming up empty on all of our fishing expeditions.

Not sure what you expect of a staff that is still being assembled. Historically , NT commits the great majority of its recruits late in December and January. I am sure NT is not going to have a banner class due to the coaching change, but I can't imagine that it won't be a lot better than if the staff changes had not happened. Even with a couple of coaches carried over, it is going to take a lot of evaluation to specify and prioritize NT needs. Even though the old coaching staff tried to keep in contact with recruits, I doubt they really were effective. Just guessing, but NT was recruiting with a very bad hand prior to the McCarney hiring and a lot of those old recruits might not be acceptable to the new staff. All recruiting data is suspect and until a player is committed or signed, I would not fret too much on losing x player to x university. Despite what is posted on a bio, you have no way to know if an offer was actually made or if it was, if it is still available. College's personnel can not comment on individual recruiting and there is nothing to keep a player from exaggerating a little or a lot. A form letter or a casual text becomes a firm offer.

• Upvote 4

Not sure what you expect of a staff that is still being assembled. Historically , NT commits the great majority of its recruits late in December and January. I am sure NT is not going to have a banner class due to the coaching change, but I can't imagine that it won't be a lot better than if the staff changes had not happened. Even with a couple of coaches carried over, it is going to take a lot of evaluation to specify and prioritize NT needs. Even though the old coaching staff tried to keep in contact with recruits, I doubt they really were effective. Just guessing, but NT was recruiting with a very bad hand prior to the McCarney hiring and a lot of those old recruits might not be acceptable to the new staff. All recruiting data is suspect and until a player is committed or signed, I would not fret too much on losing x player to x university. Despite what is posted on a bio, you have no way to know if an offer was actually made or if it was, if it is still available. College's personnel can not comment on individual recruiting and there is nothing to keep a player from exaggerating a little or a lot. A form letter or a casual text becomes a firm offer.

Astute observation my friend. Panic button covered back up for another month or so...

This. A lot of time left until Feb 4 (or is it the 6th?). The time to get worried is late January if there are still no D-linemen on board.