Bowen Staying

MeanGreen61

Apparently WKU wanted to keep him. Exerpt from a post on the Belt board.

Bjork said that Bowen was paid $104,000 by WKU last season – and that he had been in talks with the now former defensive coordinator to stay on for next season at a salary of roughly $120,000. Bjork said that number would have made Bowen the second-highest paid defensive coordinator in the Sun Belt Conference.

Quite frankly, I'll say it because no one else seems to want to but........I smell something a bit fishy with this whole episode.

I don't think Coach Mac would think kindly of any coach he might hire playing the "positioning for a better salary" game. I hope this is not what this is all about, but if I were a betting man......... :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 8

Quite frankly, I'll say it because no one else seems to want to but........I smell something a bit fishy with this whole episode.

I don't think Coach Mac would think kindly of any coach he might hire playing the "positioning for a better salary" game. I hope this is not what this is all about, but if I were a betting man......... :rolleyes:

GMG!

have you ever had to pick a job over another because of money??? Get over yourself, he wants to look out for the best interest for him and his family. The guy made 250k in 09 and made 90k in 10, that a 36% decrease in pay for one year.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

have you ever had to pick a job over another because of money??? Get over yourself, he wants to look out for the best interest for him and his family. The guy made 250k in 09 and made 90k in 10, that a 36% decrease in pay for one year.

Beware of math in public, that would be a ~64% decrease...same point though

• Upvote 1

Get over myself? You don't know me to tell me to get over anything, least of all myself. Sounds to me as a newbie you need to get off your little hoppy horse just a tad?

But to respond to the others who do mind that UNT may have been used as a pawn in all this, I would say that that is not a good feeling for our school to have to encounter; that is, being used for possible barter bait? Hell, the guy is not the 2'nd Coming of Knute Rockne just yet, now is he? And FWIW.........I think I said I smelled a fish, not neccessarily did I say I saw a fish?

Yet............If you've already signed a UNT coaches contract, then you stick with your decision and tell the rest of the NCAA they will just have to wait a while for your services. There are no prima donnas that inhabit any athletic dept. IMHO and certainly not the one I've seen in Denton of late---like the last almost 4 decades now?

I am sure most of the NCAA D1 employees are not going to join our nations almost 10% unemployment ranks any time soon. Their network is far too strong for even the average, mediocre staff types to stay unemployed for too long.

OK, all ye of such sensitive feelings that you cannot seem to handle opinions different from your own, lets see your red numbers on this post right now to prove that very point.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Troy Phillips is reporting that Jason Stamm of InsideHilltopperSports.com has confirmed that Bowen interviewed in Bloomington on Thursday. It was speculated that it was for a position coach that paid more than we could pay a coordinator. Eric Capper had told the WKU student newspaper that we did not have a signed contract with Bowen. Of course, no hirings are official until announced.

Troy Phillips is reporting that Jason Stamm of InsideHilltopperSports.com has confirmed that Bowen interviewed in Bloomington on Thursday. It was speculated that it was for a position coach that paid more than we could pay a coordinator. Eric Capper had told the WKU student newspaper that we did not have a signed contract with Bowen. Of course, no hirings are official until announced.

If that's true, either we are not raising assistants' salaries nearly as much as advertised, or Indiana is significantly bumping theirs up.

Here's the link to the Troy Phillips post.

If that's true, either we are not raising assistants' salaries nearly as much as advertised, or Indiana is significantly bumping theirs up.

Here's the link to the Troy Phillips post.

Someone posted Indiana's new head coach had an assistant's salary pool of $2 mil to work with. I believe ours was to be around $1 mil? Better conference = more fans = more revenue = more coaching $$. We just need to start climbing the ladder.

Someone posted Indiana's new head coach had an assistant's salary pool of $2 mil to work with. I believe ours was to be around $1 mil? Better conference = more fans = more revenue = more coaching $$. We just need to start climbing the ladder.

According to USA Today, no assistant at Indiana (including coordinators) made more than 155,250 in 2009. If $2 million has been allotted for assistants, that's a reasonably sized bump up.