let's talk music

by far the largest reason i listen to the music i do is because it was discussed on the internet at one time, so....discuss?

some of my favs include Rival Schools, Queens of the Stone Age, Hot Water Music, Hot Rod Circuit, Lagwagon, at the drive in, the living end, and some more.

recently ive discovered good stuff like refused, glassjaw, cursive, supergrass, The D4, Dillinger 4.

so yeah. cool...

cool.gif

For the most part, I shy away from writing about music in this space, only because musical tastes are so subjective (much like politics). With sports, we could argue about "Kobe versus T-Mac" for an hour and come to a definitive conclusion. With music, you might like Linkin Park, I might like Coldplay, and it doesn't make either of us right or wrong. - Sports Guy

I think this is what happend when I was dumb enough to post a message that wasn't completely flattering of Norah Jones after the Grammys.

With that being said, my main CD's are:

Ben Folds (Five)

Smokey Robinson

Third Eye Blind

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Hootie

Pat Green

Wu-Tang Clan

Today is my day off and I have been spinning records all day.

These albums have been on the turntable (Yes, they still exist. Yes, I like them better than CeeDees)

In Order of Appearance:

Stan Getz Getz/Gilberto (Girl from Ipanema) What a way to start the day!

Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues II

The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed (original Decca UK pressing)

Duke Ellington "Ellington '65"

Lunch Break (Noon News on NPR)

The Beatles Hey Jude

Dixie Chicks Home

Norah Jones on Classic audiophile pressing

Stevie Ray Vaughn Tin Pan Alley is always the nightcap.

That doesn't come close to the full scope of my interests, but its a good start.

CMJ, I am trying to break into buying classical music. I always listen, but don't always know what to buy. Any suggestions for fast paced big dynamics and a pipe organ thrown in for good measure? Looking to push the limits of the TT and system.

Remember kids, it doesn't have to be new music to be "new" to you!

Seeya,

Shane

My favorite music is:

Cummings series 660 diesel's screamin',

Whale,

Chirp,

Siren,

Engine #? on, smoke showing!,

and of course who can resist to move the hell out of the way to: THE AIR HORNS!. laugh.gif

Hell, this music is so popular even the goofy suckers listening to their personal auto racket too loud with their windows rolled up can't resist even the slightest move to the right biggrin.gif

Rick

• Upvote 3

In no particular order...

Hoobastank

Puddle of Mudd

Fuel

Staind

Linkin Park

3rd Eye Blind

Lifehouse

Incubus

Green Day

Our Lady Peace

Right now I've been ODing on the Daredevil sound track.

And if you want a list of hotty singers ... Vanessa Carolton and Michelle Branch wub.gif

In no particular order...

Hoobastank

Puddle of Mudd

Fuel

Staind

Linkin Park

3rd Eye Blind

Lifehouse

Incubus

Green Day

Our Lady Peace

Right now I've been ODing on the Daredevil sound track.

And if you want a list of hotty singers ... Vanessa Carolton and Michelle Branch wub.gif

ugh... huh.gif

may i highly recommend the alternative rock scene....

check out a band called Small Brown Bike.

It's funny, I had not heard of some of the groups ya'll listed, or rather, most of those under ground bands. But it's funny to go to a site like ColumbiaHouse.com and pull up one of these newer bands such as Fuel or Incubus and over to the right it will have a sidebar that say's, "If you like Fuel, you may like:" and then there will be listings of other groups with similar sounds. Such as if you put in Incubus then you will get Red Hot Chili Peppers or one of their sound a like groups from the past. If you keep going you eventually get to what ever generation of music you may have grown up with say back to the 80's or 70's. Just keep clicking on a band and you will eventually end up with say Ratt, Motely Crux, ACDC and even Black Sabbath, which started in 1970. You think Small Brown Bike will still be recording and selling in 2036?laugh.gif

But I guess my main question is, are we then to believe that groups from Sabbaths era led to what we have today? If I am to assume this trend will continue in teh direction it's headed then I'm going to get my big horse shoeing file and an old brake drum out of the shed and hit the nearest studio because there's some money to be made out there. blink.gif

On a more serious note, are the days of the great rock guitarists gone? You just don't hear much llead quitar music anymore. What happen to the sounds and styles of Hendrix, Schone of Journey(1971 at the age of 14 performed in a studio in front of Santana and Eric Clapton and both attempted to hire the young man on the spot),Van Halen, Rhodes, Tipton/Downing, Carlisi, Hagar, Santana, Mars, Clapton, Bettencourt, Satriani, Ray Vaughn, all with their own types of lead style licks and riffs in Rock? I don't hear anyone talking about it on the radio who's the best, or DJ's playing licks in certain songs over and over just for fun like they used to. From the 60's through the early 90's there were different styles of lead Rock guitar. Each new generation adding to what the past had taught them but it seems to have died sometime after Stevie Ray left us. Now the guitar seems to be only used for rhythm. Any thoughts?

Rick

• Upvote 1

On a more serious note, are the days of the great rock guitarists gone?  You just don't hear much llead quitar music anymore.  What happen to the sounds and  styles of Hendrix, Schone of Journey(1971 at the age of 14 performed in a studio in front of Santana and Eric Clapton and both attempted to hire the young man on the spot),Van Halen, Rhodes, Tipton/Downing, Carlisi, Hagar, Santana, Mars, Clapton, Bettencourt, Satriani, Ray Vaughn, all with their own types of lead style licks and riffs in Rock?  I don't hear anyone talking about it on the radio who's the best, or DJ's playing licks in certain songs over and over just for fun like they used to.  From the 60's through the early 90's there were different styles of lead Rock guitar.  Each new generation adding to what the past had taught them but it seems to have died sometime after Stevie Ray left us. Now the guitar seems to be only used for rhythm.  Any thoughts?

Rick

the living end, oasis, hot rod circuit, bad religion, rival schools...just a few bands i can think of whose lead guitarists stand out to me.