A Couple Of Thoughts On Junior Colleges

Harry

First, the landscape of junior college talent has changed. NEO (North Eastern Oklahoma State) is not the talent powerhouse that it was in prior years. There are a few players there but not as many as in the past. NEO used to be the best local juco for us to get immediate starters. Navarro Junior college in Corsicana Texas actually has a lot of talent. The Kansas Juco's in the Jayhawk league still resign supreme but the Mississippi jucos are starting to fend for the title.

The juco problem for North Texas is one of timing. Most of the best juco players that are available at the mid term - meaning that they could participate in spring training with Coach Mac and staff are taken at this late time. There are exceptions to the rule however Mac&Company will have to unseat the incumbants so to speak in many cases. Now, in terms of guys who haven't qualified academically and will need to graduate in May, there are some big time studs. The problem with those guys is you don't get them for the spring and they are a much bigger risk academically. Alonzo Horton is the best recent example of this. Horton was a big time defensive end who committed to Dodge in the spring but then did not get it done academically and was ineligible and went to a D-II school. I don't yet have a clear mark on Coach Mac's philospohy on this type of player but in the past this was a risk that Dodge would take due the fact that he could not close on the mid term jucos and high school difference makers. These risks are also ususally driven by position, for instance if you can get a beast of a defensive end that one player can potentially tranform your entire defense and you are willing to risk a spot even if he is academically on the bubble to get him. The BCS programs typically will not take these types of risks unless they are desperate.

SO, as we look into the crystal ball of who our assistant coaches will be, I would guess that their ability to recruit specific areas will play a part. Sheldon Gandy has proven that he can recruit Louisiana (Carey) and the Mississippi Juco's pretty well. I would like to see us land a coach who has strong ties in Oklahoma (ie Kenny Evans). We have to recruit Houston and need a guy like Bruce Bell or someone from that region who is respected and can close business. In fact I would say that if Mac could just improve our lot in Houston alone this program could leap frog across the other programs in the belt. Then of course you need a guy who can do damage in the Kansas Juco's every single year. The big priority will be DFW. The Arizona and Cali juco leagues can also provide some players but we have seen fewer of these make it to UNT in the past years.

I don't see us taking very many JUCOs because:

1. The real studs aren't available.

2. Signing date is only 11 days away and have three coaches aboard.

3. Coach Mac's philosophy.

I would hope that we can get the Blinn LB Jackson. We need high-caliber immediate help

and he is a good fit. There are a couple of unsigned DLs who would immediately help but I don't think any are available for spring. Still, they are the quality that we need and I hope are fast learners. There also are a couple of offensive linemen but we are not currently on their radar.

In my opinion that's about it. I don't see but one quarterback who is highly rated and he would be doubtful for us. I hope that we sign a couple of high school prospects who could possibly develop into stars rather than a 'servicable' QB prospect for next year, none of which is better than Dodge or Thompson.

I don't expect Evans or Bell to be on the coaching staff at UNT but I do expect recruiters of their quality.

Looking at players coming back, best guess:

QB: Dodge, Thompson - Need two more QBS, I juco and 1 hs

RB: Dunbar and Hamilton are both srs. Bird only underclassman: need 2 hs

HB, TE Back Brown and Olawale who played with Hawkins and Fitzpatrick . Pior should go back to LB. Walk on Drew Miller looked good at times Look for 1 juco and 1 hs

WR Stradford, Carey, Bynes, Chancellor, Lewis provide good nucleus but need numbers, at least 2 and probably 3 hs

OL Freeley, Tomlinson, Fortenberry, Leppio, Johnson, Bean and Adidipe with unused Franklin, Noble, Y'Barbo, and Johnson returning: Look for 3 recruits including 1 juco

DE Most back but no really outstanding players, Gaines, McCoy, Obi, Akpunku, Bellizan, look for 1 juco and 2hs

DT Cantly back with White, Abbe, Boutwell, Anyiam. Don't thank Anyiam, Boutwell or White played much if at all White was a mystery last year, and I am not sure Anyiam is still on the team Don't remember him suited up Need imediate help 2 jc and 1 hs

LB Another position that needs numbers Phillips, Orr, Johnson, Herron, and Prior Little beyond those although Graham could end up back at lb. At least 2 hs recruits

CB Actually should be in good shape with HIll, McCord, Ford and Jackson Need some numbers 2 hs recruits

S Shorter, Downing, Wright, Cook and maybe Graham making this a strong position 2 hs recruits

k/P Atterberry, Olin and Deans all return, no ships

Total projected: 6 jucos, 18 hs which might be more than the 22 ships estimated to be available. Of course this is all speculation not knowing all the factors, but I do look for NT to hit the jucos hard. Not anything like the last two years, but would not be surprised to see 6 to 8.

Do not underestimate the talent level of the SWJCFC. Blinn, Navarro, Tyler, Kilgore, Ranger and Cisco JC's. Kilgore put 5 players off their 2001 National Championship team in the NFL, with players going to schools like: Miami, Nebraska, New Mexico, Utah, Marshall and Tennessee.

There is a tremendous amount of talent in Texas Juco's, ask Auburn how their Juco QB worked out for them ;)

About half the football playing jucos in the nation are in California. No other area comes close, Mississippi has the second highest number of schools but is minuscule in comparison. NT has got some great players from Oklahoma but overall they don't have a lot of players. Hint, all three Oklahoma schools rely heavily on Texas. Louisiana to me is a better hunting ground, more players and only one major school LSU to contend with. On the juco front, numbers at California and Mississippi. Quality in Texas and Kansas but intense competition.

About half the football playing jucos in the nation are in California. No other area comes close, Mississippi has the second highest number of schools but is minuscule in comparison. NT has got some great players from Oklahoma but overall they don't have a lot of players. Hint, all three Oklahoma schools rely heavily on Texas. Louisiana to me is a better hunting ground, more players and only one major school LSU to contend with. On the juco front, numbers at California and Mississippi. Quality in Texas and Kansas but intense competition.

And NT just lost their recruiter for La and Mississippi Understand Gandy is gone.

Don't forget Derrick Teegarden, he was reqruited as an athlete, and worked at both WR and QB.

He was the 2009 2-5A Offensive Player of the Year … Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD’s and four interceptions in 2009 … Also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD’s … In 2008 was named first-team all-district and all-state honorable mention after completing 151-of-233 passes for 2,224 yards, 24 TD’s and 10 interceptions … Also rushed for 743 yards on 114 carries and 10 TD’s his junior season … Selected second-team all-district his sophomore season while throwing nine touchdowns and running for four more.

Also NT has John Dodson at QB a walk-on from Bishop Lynch, 6-0, 195

Don't forget Derrick Teegarden, he was reqruited as an athlete, and worked at both WR and QB.

He was the 2009 2-5A Offensive Player of the Year … Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD’s and four interceptions in 2009 … Also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD’s … In 2008 was named first-team all-district and all-state honorable mention after completing 151-of-233 passes for 2,224 yards, 24 TD’s and 10 interceptions … Also rushed for 743 yards on 114 carries and 10 TD’s his junior season … Selected second-team all-district his sophomore season while throwing nine touchdowns and running for four more.

Also NT has John Dodson at QB a walk-on from Bishop Lynch, 6-0, 195

It depends on where we want to be. If we want to be where Baylor (as an example) is now, then we shouldn't be going a walk on QB pans out.

The bar should be higher for recruiting talent, and the bar should be higher for developing that talent.