Attendance Tonight Was Pathetic

SUMG

If we don't ever move up the conference food chain....crappy basketball attendance may be why. The team has been to two NCAA tournies in the last four years. We were 4-1 going in to the game....and we draw 2652.

I'd love to know how many fans attended the reception and didn't stay for the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think a lot of people left at halftime due to the score. A lot of students I think are also getting ready for finals(a friend in my party had to leave for that reason) and once the game was "in hand" they took off. Once conference play rolls around we should be doing much better.

I'm with him, once exam season starts basketball isn't a priority... but once conference start I am not missing a game

Gee.....I find it really hard to believe that someone can't take a two hour break...when it's November 30. Or December 2. (well before exams)

Like I said....if we don't get an invite from a better league....you can look at a crappy basketball attendance average as one of the main reasons.

Please note though....my main frustration is with townspeople and alums. The student crowd tonight was great. You guys did your part.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2

Everytime I've been to a game, the Pit Crew and students have been great. As a freshman, I feel what someone said earlier is very apt. If you can get people in the building, then you'll have fans. I already have plans to go to Thursday's game, and if I'm not studying or anything I want to make all the games. It's one of those things, just put it in front of them and once you get them there they will dig it. Though in all fairness, the person I was with is an early graduation senior and he didn't want to take any chances. I'd love to see a lot more publicity around campus, if we can do it for football then we can do it for basketball.

Everytime I've been to a game, the Pit Crew and students have been great. As a freshman, I feel what someone said earlier is very apt. If you can get people in the building, then you'll have fans. I already have plans to go to Thursday's game, and if I'm not studying or anything I want to make all the games. It's one of those things, just put it in front of them and once you get them there they will dig it. Though in all fairness, the person I was with is an early graduation senior and he didn't want to take any chances. I'd love to see a lot more publicity around campus, if we can do it for football then we can do it for basketball.

Hey buddy....I edited my last post to let you know that the students tonight were great. The alums and townspeople....not so much. The Pit Crew has been great all year. Thanks for the spirit that you students add to the place. My problem is with my fellow old farts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hey buddy....I edited my last post to let you know that the students tonight were great. The alums and townspeople....not so much. The Pit Crew has been great all year. Thanks for the spirit that you students add to the place. My problem is with my fellow old farts.

This is one of the key problems... i don't really see the alumni and denton citizens coming out to these games. we need to push it around the city.

Can someone tell me this: Are student IDs scanned? I know my ticket is always scanned. If the IDs are scanned....how would our attendance be undershot? Are you saying that our crowds are just guesstimates?

If so....and we are underestimating our crowds....then that needs to stop.

Can someone tell me this: Are student IDs scanned? I know my ticket is always scanned. If the IDs are scanned....how would our attendance be undershot? Are you saying that our crowds are just guesstimates?

I walked in with about 5 minutes left to go in the 1st half. 2 students were in front of me and just showed their IDs and walked on in. Neither was scanned , so maybe that's part of the problem. I really believe there were over 3,000 there.

The old farts refused to do the North Texas alternating chant tonight for some reason. Probably wanted to see how fast McCarney could take down that popcorn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I walked in with about 5 minutes left to go in the 1st half. 2 students were in front of me and just showed their IDs and walked on in. Neither was scanned , so maybe that's part of the problem. I really believe there were over 3,000 there.

SUMG, I've been to +10 of the home games for the past 5 years... can't think of one time I was scanned.

We've reached a point in our basketball program where we need to be flirting with our arena half full for every home game. Seriously there should be no excuses. Great team, two tourney appearances, indoors so you don't have to bitch about the weather etc. I think right now it will seriously take a serious push to get the Denton residents and surrounding areas supporting the basketball team.

Attendance is a very boring subject. I was actually happy in the past couple of years when NT really padded their attendance numbers. This year they don't appear to be doing that, why not? Honesty is not always the best policy, bogus or accurate; the attendance numbers are quoted as gospel. You see a lot of games both football and basketball that attendance is vastly over-reported to laughable numbers. Yet, at the end of the year, those are the numbers that are continuously quoted and to a large extent the heath of the program is measured by.

For the Rice game, I showed up at the second half and I pretty much just walked in with my two friends. Nobody was there to scan or sell anything. Now tonight I showed up at tip time and my ID was scanned. So yes I think this is an issue.

The old farts refused to do the North Texas alternating chant tonight for some reason. Probably wanted to see how fast McCarney could take down that popcorn.

I can't remember if my ID was ever scanned when I used to come in as a student. During the Rice game, I overheard a guy with a clipboard telling some kid to go count a section. Anyone know what that is about? He was pointing toward the Pit Crew.

For the record, I think it was RV who was munching that popcorn.