Poor Reception At The Reception

UNT 90 Grad

Sorry if someone else already hit on this, but I was embarrased at the Mean Green Club reception for Coach Mac tonight. While trying to do a Q&A session with us, people would not shut up in the back of the room. All the inconsiderate chatter was obviously distracting to Coach Mac as well as to those of us actually trying to listen. He stopped speaking multiple times expecting everyone to be quiet so he could finish answering, but people kept on chattering. He even made comments over the PA, telling the folks in the back that they were welcome to come use the mic if they didn't want to be quiet (paraphrasing), but that didn't slow them down.

It was a little tense and RV seemed to be getting frustrated as well. Were these just folks there for the basketball game and clueless about who the guy was talking in the microphone? I don't get it. I felt like we made a bad first impression on him.

Go Coach Mac! Go Mean Green!

(By the way, good turn out for this event I thought. I'm guessing the number of people exceeded expectations. We definitely exceeded the number of chairs.)

Anyone know why we didn't introduce him to the crowd at halftime?

He was there, and he and Rick walked out the tunnel with less than 2 minutes to halftime. I was sure we were about to get a big public welcome... And then, nothing.

He was being interviewed by Jub Jub on the radio at half time. Still seems like they could have done a quick introduction though.

Anyone know why we didn't introduce him to the crowd at halftime?

He was there, and he and Rick walked out the tunnel with less than 2 minutes to halftime. I was sure we were about to get a big public welcome... And then, nothing.

They introduced him to me at halftime. Thats really all that matters.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sorry if someone else already hit on this, but I was embarrased at the Mean Green Club reception for Coach Mac tonight. While trying to do a Q&A session with us, people would not shut up in the back of the room. All the inconsiderate chatter was obviously distracting to Coach Mac as well as to those of us actually trying to listen. He stopped speaking multiple times expecting everyone to be quiet so he could finish answering, but people kept on chattering. He even made comments over the PA, telling the folks in the back that they were welcome to come use the mic if they didn't want to be quiet (paraphrasing), but that didn't slow them down.

It was a little tense and RV seemed to be getting frustrated as well. Were these just folks there for the basketball game and clueless about who the guy was talking in the microphone? I don't get it. I felt like we made a bad first impression on him.

That's disappointing to hear.

What was discussed at the reception? Question and answer summary?

I was very happy to see him at the game, and he and RV were also pumping the crowd up near the end of the game. He also exchanged a greeting with JJ as the team left the court. It is very disappointing to hear about this however. I wasn't a big fan of the hire(I'm still on the fence, bringing Chico back helped) but it's like the President to me: respect the position. The guy is here and isn't going anywhere, so let's show him that UNT is quality. No reason to get off on a sour note with the guy.

• Upvote 1

Just got off the phone with someone who was there. I nearly dropped the phone when I was told Coach Mac, in what appeared to be frustration, had to ask if the folks in the back would like to have the mic?

This brings me to two questions.

1. Why in hell was he even asked to speak..................AGAIN? This was to be a meet and greet. He gave his press conference already today. Tonight should have been simply a chance for the fans to welcome him. Sounded like a very poorly planned event?

2. Why didn't someone with the AD dept or any of the rest of you who were there who were frustrated with this, not get up, go over to the loudest group and ask that they take their rude ass loud conversations outside?

Damn! Most embarrassing thing I have ever heard. What he must think of NT already?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just got off the phone with someone who was there. I nearly dropped the phone when I was told Coach Mac, in what appeared to be frustration, had to ask if the folks in the back would like to have the mic?

1. Why in hell was he even asked to speak..................AGAIN? This was to be a meet and greet. He gave his press conference already today. Tonight should have been simply a chance for the fans to welcome him. Sounded like a very poorly planned event?

2. Why didn't someone with the AD dept or any of the rest of you who were there who were frustrated with this, not get up, go over to the loudest group and ask that they take their rude ass loud conversations outside?

Damn! Most embarrassing thing I have ever heard. What he must think of NT already?

Rick

Then we do what we can to show him that this is not how we roll. Something as simple as an email or making a point to shake his hand when you are in his vicinity would do nicely. I agree that someone should have had taken charge and said something to the degenerates that don't take a hint.

Rick

I'll never understand how we've gotten to this point, where people who are certainly old enough to know better think it's ok to talk through whoever has the podium.

Rick

People from the ad office did go back there to quiet them up. I really have know idea what they thought was going on. Too much of the all you can drink booze I guess. Really embarrasing and classles.

Edited by filmerj

If anything, he went face to face with the culture he will be battling to rid of.

Welcome to Denton, coach Mac. Maybe tomorrow we have a BBQ in Denia

Tomorrow's no good, I've got a nasty cold.

In all seriousness, if he would come pay a visit at the next neighborhood association meeting in January, given how good he was at the presser today, I might stop being so alone over here.

• Upvote 1

I was in the back standing against the wall eating, since there weren't any seats available. To be honest I couldn't even hear what he was saying. The portable PA system wasn't great. Everyone was pretty quiet during his interview with Dale and during his introduction. At first I didn't think he was going to say much as they were really pushing that they were going to keep it short so everyone could get out to the basketball game, but he seemed to keep going. I couldn't hear much of it at all. Actually I had no idea there were any uncomfortable moments or issues until I read this post.

The crowd was a who's who of big donors. I hadn't seen that many together in a while and there were a lot of good ole boy conversations going on. There was also a lot of alcohol being consumed which tends to raise the "emotion" level.

On another note, while I was in the restroom, I heard a few guys discussing club level seats and they were pretty excited about the different packages. Sounds like they had just became interested in them and newly back to the program.

People from the ad office did go back there to quiet them up. I really have know idea what they thought was going on. Too much of the all you can drink booze I guess. Really embarrasing and classles.

I tell you, I'm shocked. I'm shocked to hear that he not only asked if the folks in the back wanted the mic, but then about 10 seconds later, I'm told, he just stopped talking and paused in mid sentence and seemed agitated, yet the distraction in the back continued?

When Coach Stallings spoke in the same location in January of '01, it was packed as well. Same type situation. But when Coach Stallings eventually approached the microphone to speak you could have heard a pin drop, and that should have been the same respect shown to Coach Mac tonight.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I tell you, I'm shocked. I'm shocked to hear that he not only asked if the folks in the back wanted the mic, but then about 10 seconds later, I'm told, he just stopped talking and paused in mid sentence and seemed agitated, yet the distraction in the back continued?

When Coach Stallings spoke in the same location in January of '01, it was packed as well. Same type situation. But when Coach Stallings eventually approached the microphone to speak you could have heard a pin drop, and that should have been the same respect shown to Coach Mac tonight.

Rick

Idiots. Really an embarrassment.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Well...I'm sure all with get over the frustration including RV and coach MacCanrey (sp). The new coach has 500,000.00 reasons to be able to get over it. I'm sure he's seen much worse in the real world and on recruiting visits. At least lets hope so. UNT reputation is in tact and a live and well. I hope the new coach hires coach Deloach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1