Just Got Word

Harry

HHHUUMMM!!!! I bet some of the AD's around the sunbelt are lighting up Coach Canales phone. 3-9 with 14 to 17 starters out!!! Canales was credited by Dodge with WKU win, and made our team competitive once he was given control. SBC maybe lesser conference so first coaching gig for motivated coach could be in lesser conference at lower salary (SBC).

Within 5 weeks Canales flatly stated I'm going to be a HC. Even if his wife was pushing him or in full support you could tell his family was on board. If coach Canales doesn't become a HC then he certainly wouldn't stay at UNT where the lobbied for a job and produced on the field only to be told in the pecking order it was Dan MacCarney, Steve Kragthorpe and Dennis Franchione, and maybe or maybe not coach Canales, 4th in line if that.

Kansas St. 49 UNT 41. I doubt RV or the above 3 finalist for the UNT job could have motivated a UNT team to this close an outcome (UNT could have realistically won the game)!!!

All of UNT's players or most have had to endure 3 to 4 years of losing under TD in comes Canales and motivates players to believe and not give up. The football team gave it their all, but the IHC was 4th at best in the pecking order!!!

If this happened on your job would you stay? I wouldn't from a respect standpoint. I'd rather walk through "cow dung" than be the "oh, your good enough to be OC as we pat you on the head", but not HC forth in line at best...at worst who knows!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

HHHUUMMM!!!! I bet some of the AD's around the sunbelt are lighting up Coach Canales phone. 3-9 with 14 to 17 starters out!!! Canales was credited by Dodge with WKU win, and made our team competitive once he was given control. SBC maybe lesser conference so first coaching gig for motivated coach could be in lesser conference at lower salary (SBC).

Within 5 weeks Canales flatly stated I'm going to be a HC. Even if his wife was pushing him or in full support you could tell his family was on board. If coach Canales doesn't become a HC then he certainly wouldn't stay at UNT where the lobbied for a job and produced on the field only to be told in the pecking order it was Dan MacCarney, Steve Kragthorpe and Dennis Franchione, and maybe or maybe not coach Canales, 4th in line if that.

Kansas St. 49 UNT 41. I doubt RV or the above 3 finalist for the UNT job could have motivated a UNT team to this close an outcome (UNT could have realistically won the game)!!!

All of UNT's players or most have had to endure 3 to 4 years of losing under TD in comes Canales and motivates players to believe and not give up. The football team gave it their all, but the IHC was 4th at best in the pecking order!!!

If this happened on your job would you stay? I wouldn't from a respect standpoint. I'd rather walk through "cow dung" than be the "oh, your good enough to be OC as we pat you on the head", but not HC forth in line at best...at worst who knows!!!

Okay. But...is it okay if Mike Canales doesn't get a head coaching this year? I mean, I wanted him hired here, but there reality was that Rick and Rawlins had probably had discussions prior to the season about the possibility of Dodge failure and firing. So, they likely already had a list of potentials that they contacted when they canned Dodge.

Again, I was for keeping Canales, but my guess is wheels were already in motion when he surprisingly won two of his first three. There would be nothing wrong with him staying here or going somewhere else next year as a coordinator. His credentials won't be any worse for it, and probably will be better if his offenses continue to do well.

Let's also not forget that when Canales became head coach, he gave the play calling to Conroy Hines. Canales did a good job pulling the team together from a motivational stand point. But, we need to give credit all the way around on a surprisingly good finish.

Best of luck always to Coach Canales and Coach Hines, whether they are kept here or go elsewhere. Both did a great job here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

Okay. But...is it okay if Mike Canales doesn't get a head coaching this year? I mean, I wanted him hired here, but there reality was that Rick and Rawlins had probably had discussions prior to the season about the possibility of Dodge failure and firing. So, they likely already had a list of potentials that they contacted when they canned Dodge.

Again, I was for keeping Canales, but my guess is wheels were already in motion when he surprisingly won two of his first three. There would be nothing wrong with him staying here or going somewhere else next year as a coordinator. His credentials won't be any worse for it, and probably will be better if his offenses continue to do well.

Let's also not forget that when Canales became head coach, he gave the play calling to Conroy Hines. Canales did a good job pulling the team together from a motivational stand point. But, we need to give credit all the way around on a surprisingly good finish.

Best of luck always to Coach Canales and Coach Hines, whether they are kept here or go elsewhere. Both did a great job here.

Funny thing is I'm really a Coach Deloach fan, but I've grown to admire coach Canales and will follow his career for years to come, and pull for his teams when he becomes a HC. I hope Dan MacCarney brings UNT much success, because I know coach Canales would have.