Question About Canales

cyrocksmypants

This is an honest question, and I don't mean any offense to it, because I've re-written it about 10 times and it sounds condescending every time (I swear I don't mean it to be).

But, what makes everyone think he'll go out and get a head coaching gig elsewhere? Does he even have any other previous head coaching experience? As an outsider looking in, I see a guy that coached a handful of games and the lost majority of them (did he even win any games he coached in?). I know a lot of you like how he motivated guys and how they responded to him, but if the best thing you can put on your resume is "I lost to Kansas State by only 8 points" I just can't see why someone not associated with the program or him would look at him as leading an FBS program.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I guess you had to be there. Dude was OC for the #2 ranked team in the country a few years back. He has been groomed for a head coaching position for decades now. He is young, inspiring and our team played hard and solid for him in 5 short weeks - not 5 years. If I were a program in need of an inspirational leader who has some skins on the wall and is ready to make the next step and prove his worth - I would look at Canales. Then I would schedule North Texas:)

gmg

This is an honest question, and I don't mean any offense to it, because I've re-written it about 10 times and it sounds condescending every time (I swear I don't mean it to be).

But, what makes everyone think he'll go out and get a head coaching gig elsewhere? Does he even have any other previous head coaching experience? As an outsider looking in, I see a guy that coached a handful of games and the lost majority of them (did he even win any games he coached in?). I know a lot of you like how he motivated guys and how they responded to him, but if the best thing you can put on your resume is "I lost to Kansas State by only 8 points" I just can't see why someone not associated with the program or him would look at him as leading an FBS program.

Well, what head coaching experience did McCarney have before he was hired by Iowa State? I believe the answer is NONE. Personally I saw Coach Canales as an absolute steal as a head coach candidate for North Texas. He was energetic, positive, VERY KNOWLEDGABLE and I can't imagine that he would be anything but a great recruiter. Coach Canales also has pro coaching experience.....how much does McCarney have?

McCarney may have worked for Hayden Fry, but Coach Canales (as far as I'm concerned) WAS the second coming of Hayden Fry. How do I know that you ask? I know because I watched Hayden Fry at his first gathering at North Texas (as well as his total career here) where he wowed an auditorium full of VERY cynical people (professors, staff, and students) back in 1973. Mike Canales is EXACTLY like him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think most of it stems from the eras before Canales took over. We had a number of terrible years where the team wasn't performing and the coaches weren't too involved with the community. So suddenly when someone in the position cared, instilled discipline in the team, and got the players and community on his side - it made a big impression. It probably looks really looney from an outsiders perspective, but for us it was a lot of hope and positive change.

The difference is, when Iowa State hired Mac, they didn't have the luxory of having a former BCS head coach that had been to multiple bowl games as an option to hire over him.

Ive looked at your guy's record at Iowa State year by year from 95 til 06. It looked like this....abysmal, bright spot for 4-5 years, abysmal. Now where have we seen that before around here?

The difference is, when Iowa State hired Mac, they didn't have the luxory of having a former BCS head coach that had been to multiple bowl games as an option to hire over him.

Well UNT also had the opportunity to hire a coach that is +80 games over .500 and not 30 below .500. So DM must have one hell of an interview face.

Guess with all the new DM fandoms coming out the wood work certain members should be going bonkers, but that was only for Canales. Oh well.

Welcome DM and good luck.

Edited by untbowler

I really wasn't trying to even make this about Canales, or really about his tenure at North Texas. I've just seen a lot of posts saying he's going to be a head coach elsewhere, and being someone that wasn't emotionally invested in him, couldn't see why his resume to lead people to believe he was a lock to be an FBS head coach next year, that's all.

I guess you had to be there. Dude was OC for the #2 ranked team in the country a few years back. He has been groomed for a head coaching position for decades now. He is young, inspiring and our team played hard and solid for him in 5 short weeks - not 5 years. If I were a program in need of an inspirational leader who has some skins on the wall and is ready to make the next step and prove his worth - I would look at Canales. Then I would schedule North Texas:)

gmg

You do realize that Canales is only 7 years younger than McCarney?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really wasn't trying to even make this about Canales, or really about his tenure at North Texas. I've just seen a lot of posts saying he's going to be a head coach elsewhere, and being someone that wasn't emotionally invested in him, couldn't see why his resume to lead people to believe he was a lock to be an FBS head coach next year, that's all.

He has just as much potential (if not moreso) to be hired as a HC as your boy did when ya'll hired him. Your boy obviously got himself ensonced in the national good-ol-boy system more than Coach Canales did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, what head coaching experience did McCarney have before he was hired by Iowa State? I believe the answer is NONE. Personally I saw Coach Canales as an absolute steal as a head coach candidate for North Texas. He was energetic, positive, VERY KNOWLEDGABLE and I can't imagine that he would be anything but a great recruiter. Coach Canales also has pro coaching experience.....how much does McCarney have?

McCarney may have worked for Hayden Fry, but Coach Canales (as far as I'm concerned) WAS the second coming of Hayden Fry. How do I know that you ask? I know because I

watched Hayden Fry at his first gathering at North Texas (as well as his total career here) where he wowed an auditorium full of VERY cynical people (professors, staff, and students)

back in 1973. Mike Canales is EXACTLY like him.

Nail hit squarely on the head Silver Eagle!

Canales may be 7 years younger (only) but seems like a world apart in connectivity with the players. With all due respect I have no idea how DM will connect because he is not here yet, but I liked what I saw with Canales and when I trust and believe in someone, I will run through a mountain for them. We had him and now we don't.

DM - you are on clock - let's see if you can bring it like Canales did.

gmg

Meangreendan, I didn't mean that, I meant I didn't mean it about his tenure or time at North Texas.

For the most part, my question was answered, so thank you.

in the meantime, North Texas has now become my third favorite team, below only Iowa State and Hawaii and just above "every team that plays Nebraska".

haha, glad to have you root for UNT!

Meangreendan, I didn't mean that, I meant I didn't mean it about his tenure or time at North Texas.

in the meantime, North Texas has now become my third favorite team, below only Iowa State and Hawaii and just above "every team that plays Nebraska".

Well then welcome aboard!

This was one of the positive things said about Todd Dodge in his first year on the job too. Once he got to campus, several players were positive about the different attitude he brought from Dickey.

cyrocksmypant, never mind us, we are a strange and peculiar people here who just haven't seen much as far as the usual barometers of success most NCAA FBS schools use to judge as far as what they've really got with their athletic program. :) Much of the frustration you read from us is mostly because of that, too.

Because we have the biggest inferiority complex of any college football fanbase in the nation. Some of us see a guy campaigning to get a head coaching job (any head coaching job, by the way. Mike Canales said as much in the K St. postgame interview about Mike Canales, said Mike Canales) and mistakenly believe he loves us soooo much, we must keep him, despite performing at a level that any decent college coach would be expected to perform at any other university in America. Thank god we aren't a 16 year old girl, because we would have already had three kids.

Because some of our fan base believe in moral victories (Wow! We only lost to K St. by 8?? This guy MUST be the next Vince Lombardi).

Because we are a relatively small program and people get sold by a head coach that makes a personal plea to them, even if he does come off as a used car salesman.

Because we retained a coach that lost to Rice, RICE, 77-20 (and they could have scored over 100, RICE!!!) for another year after he went 1-10 that year.

Because we are North Texas, and 2-3 is alright by us.

I hope this answers your question. And, yes, it does leave many of us shaking our heads, also.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

But, what makes everyone think he'll go out and get a head coaching gig elsewhere? Does he even have any other previous head coaching experience?

Canales doesn't have head coaching experience, and because of that I will be surprised if he gets the Louisiana-Lafayette job or another head job this off-season. UNT was his best chance because the tryout opened the door for him.

But other schools are not going to look at his UNT experience as a plus. He went 2-3 and one of those wins was to Western Kentucky.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

• Downvote 2

Canales doesn't have head coaching experience, and because of that I will be surprised if he gets the Louisiana-Lafayette job or another head job this off-season. UNT was his best chance because the tryout opened the door for him.

But other schools are not going to look at his UNT experience as a plus. He went 2-3 and one of those wins was to Western Kentucky.

Actually, he now has HC experience and got a depleted team to play inspired ball to a 2-3 record with a close loss to a KSU team. I don't think recruiting as a HC is that much different than a positional coach or a offensive/defensive coordinator.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

I would assume their are quite a few ISU alumni in the FW/D area.

We will be playing in a new stadium next year. I invite all who have posted, and any with whom they connect locally, to join us as the DM era unfolds.

Thanks for adding us to the list of your favorite teams, cyrocks. Said it elsewhere, but I can think of just one ex-head coach at NT that we would take the time to follow for years after his last coaching gig, then make the effort to praise the guy where he got his next HC gig. Hell, I can only think of one NT head coach that got hired as a head coach anywhere else, period.

And lets lobby for a future NT and ISU home and home!

GMG

Are head coaches born with head coaching experience, or do they start as position coaches, become coordinators, then become head coaches? Just wondering how the magic experience comes up for coaches such as our new HC.