Wow...does Anyone Like The Mccarney Hire?

NCMeanGreen

Looks like there may be riots and marches down North Texas Blvd if McCarney does not give us at least a bowl birth in his first year. I was a Coach Chico supporter as well...but it seems like we may be better served by going ahead and backing him now. He IS the new HC at North Texas!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Looks like there may be riots and marches down North Texas Blvd if McCarney does not give us at least a bowl birth in his first year. I was a Coach Chico supporter as well...but it seems like we may be better served by going ahead and backing him now. He IS the new HC at North Texas!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I'm in. Go McCarney! Go Mean Green!

Now that he is the man, I’m a fan. However I believe the first 30 days it will be important for Coach Mccarney to get off to a fast start as far as opening up to the community and the metroplex.It's not just about the "X's" and "O's" anymore. The HC needs to ba the Ambassador/Salesman of the program.

I sure hope this coach believes in and breathes communication better than this administration does. If he is indeed the Green Jesus and he is loud positive communicative and proud - he might just clash with the people running this show in little D. The fact Canales never had a shot at this gig yet we were told he would, then all Canales did was lay it out without any hope at a real shot - stinks from a leadership point of view.

Again I do not plan on waiting 3 years to be good. Hit the Urgency button, sell to me, sell to my community, go get a staff that will execute and deliver and build my trust and loyalty. You do that DM you've got me. You decide to pusyfoot around and build this thing slowly - you will not keep me interested in this regime.

Another poster said it perfectly. I am a Texan. I have high standards and require drive, passion, energy and urgency. Walk in the door with that my friend. Some people think UNT operates under a moldy rock and requires approval and direction from SMU. I don't. I have seeing other programs snag high profile coaches in much worse places than the rich grounds of the DFW metroplex. UNT is a plum opportunity for the person who wants it. I can't stand Tony Romo at times because I feel he doesn't realize the opportunity he sits in at the qb of the Dallas Cowboys. The coach of UNT has a dream opportunity and it is a great gig - one that must be seized with zeal, energy, appreciation, excitement and urgency. This goes for the AD position, the President position, any position at my fine Alma Mater. UNT does not play second fiddle to anyone and does not have to.

So bring it, yesterday and make it happen. My timer has started - execute, execute, execute.

GMG

gmg

• Upvote 1

He was my third choice behind Canales and Glen Mason. Mason was never in the picture.

Before Dodge was fired, and Canales took over, I'd have had Mason and McCarney as my top two. I've felt all along that we've needed a very experienced coach to pull us to higher ground - not just winning seasons, but a jump to a better conference as well.

When Canales won two of his first three and almost beat Troy, he became my first choice. But, I'm very happy that we hired McCarney. Hiring McCarney is on par with hiring his former mentor, Hayden Fry.

Nice job, Rick Villareal. This is the home run hire.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I think most all this board were for someone else before we even knew Coach Mac was part of the mix; even after we knew we were all kinda' hanging in there with our personal preference of which Coach Fran was mine.

Coach C has too much talent to not be a HFC but sometimes timing is everything and the timing of all this was not on his side this time (speaking of, uh, time); but good things come to those who wait?

Having been a UNT student since 1972 right before the Ice Age hit us, I'm beginning to feel with this Coach Mac hire as I did when North Texas announced Hayden Fry. I just felt Fry would do better in Mean Green Country than he had on the Hilltop and I guess "many" of us (in deed) had the right hunch with Fry.

I would love it if Coach Fry were at the Announcement this Tuesday because after all, this is one of "Fry's Guys." It could make the Irish tenor in me get all watery-eyed.

So upon further review.................

Welcome To Mean Green Country, Coach Mac!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think most all this board were for someone else before we even knew Coach Mac was part of the mix; even after we knew we were all kinda' hanging in there with our personal preference of which Coach Fran was mine.

Coach C has too much talent to not be a HFC but sometimes timing is everything and the timing of all this was not on his side this time (speaking of, uh, time); but good things come to those who wait?

Having been a UNT student since 1972 right before the Ice Age hit us, I'm beginning to feel with this Coach Mac hire as I did when North Texas announced Hayden Fry. I just felt Fry would do better in Mean Green Country than he had on the Hilltop and I guess "many" of us (in deed) had the right hunch with Fry.

I would love it if Coach Fry were at the Announcement this Tuesday because after all, this is one of "Fry's Guys." It could make the Irish tenor in me get all watery-eyed.

So upon further review.................

Welcome To Mean Green Country, Coach Mac!

GMG!

I didn't know they would let you stay enrolled for 38 years straight. :P

Edited by Cr1028

Now that he is the man, I’m a fan. However I believe the first 30 days it will be important for Coach Mccarney to get off to a fast start as far as opening up to the community and the metroplex.It's not just about the "X's" and "O's" anymore. The HC needs to ba the Ambassador/Salesman of the program.

I hope he spends the first 30 days recruiting...if he does that right, and wins, that will in turn take care of a lot of the community part.

I'm in because I said that I would be...at least for the first year.

You really want to know a major concern of mine? He may have had a relatively-speaking low budget at ISU but he has never been subjected to how the other half lives. Iowa, Iowa State, USF and Florida live in the penthouse compared to our outhouse living. I know that money will become more plentiful when the student fees kick in but a lot of that must go to pay off the stadium.

Winning is imperative in our small stadium to keep the attendance up. Can he do that in 2...3 years?

ParksAndRecRick joins my Mean Green family and proudly welcomes Coach Mac to the University of North Texas. I have also been given permission to say the entire City of Grand Prairie welcomes Coach Mac to Denton! Go Green! "It's Time!"

Pretty darn impressive, Rick, on the City of Grand Prairie thing and all! :D

And I do agree with you on...

"It's Time!"

I don't know much about anything. I'd never even heard the man's name before last week. That said, there are some things I'm excited about.

First of all, whoever the coach is, it's gonna' be an upgrade. The home record during my awareness of UNT football has been 1-16 with the lone win coming over Western Kentucky. RV can hire anybody, hell, anything, and it'll be an upgrade. This gives me hope that I may actually see UNT win a game every once in a while.

Next, he's not from here, so he doesn't have a ravenous group of disciples to defend his every misstep. There will be no Teflon Dan. There will be no Florida Gator Jesus. If the guy sucks, he's gonna' get called to the carpet and right quick.

Neinas did the report on UNT athletics overall, right? Surely, somewhere in the part of the report that wasn't released ole' Chuck must have recognized the fickle nature of the UNT fan base and its need to be recognized, talked to, hand held, and smiled at. If McCarney wasn't made explicitly aware of this during the interview process, and he didn't explicitly agree to work the room, so to speak, then a grave error has been made on both sides of the bargaining table.

I do believe that there is a bit of a conflict of interest issue in using Neinas since he always, 100% of the time, recommends coaches that he represents. On the other hand, this gives him a vested interest in recommending someone who will succeed.

He's most certainly in for a culture shock in the ways of lower tier football and its budget limitations. On the other hand, he has no illusions about how seriously to take the program. My money's on him not going home at 5 p.m. on the dot to have a home cooked meal. I'd guess he's sitting with a box of Domino's in his lap pouring over film until the wee hours with his assistants there for the duration.

The thing I fear the most is the 5-year deal. At the money UNT is reportedly paying per annum, five years is one helluva commitment to an unknown variable. I hope to the deity of your choosing that I hear 3-year deal this week. I'm probably not being realistic in this hope.