Mccarney And Staff

thecoachingtree

Congrats on bringing in Dan McCarney. I'm from Iowa so have seen what he's like and I think this is a good fit for him and the school. I'll be putting together a list of possible assistants for you guys shortly. With the change in OL coach and firing Todd Dodge, I've spent more time on this board than any other team in the country, so with that along with hiring McCarney, I guess I've become a follower and a fan of the Mean Green.

The Coaching Tree

Follow The Coaching Tree on Twitter

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Congrats on bringing in Dan McCarney. I'm from Iowa so have seen what he's like and I think this is a good fit for him and the school. I'll be putting together a list of possible assistants for you guys shortly. With the change in OL coach and firing Todd Dodge, I've spent more time on this board than any other team in the country, so with that along with hiring McCarney, I guess I've become a follower and a fan of the Mean Green.

The Coaching Tree

Follow The Coaching Tree on Twitter

Hey welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your insight with us! GMG!

McCarney is not a prize. He is a coach who is 30 games under .500, nearly 60-years-old and at the end of his coaching career. Terrible choice. I wonder if there is a high school kid in the country who recognizes his name, let alone in Texas.

It's time for you to go back under your rock.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

McCarney is not a prize. He is a coach who is 30 games under .500, nearly 60-years-old and at the end of his coaching career. Terrible choice. I wonder if there is a high school kid in the country who recognizes his name, let alone in Texas.

You must be very young, in my world 57 is not nearly 60. How can you know if he is at the end of his career? I have known people who retired at 50 and those who worked until 90. The suggestion that there may not be a high school kid in the country who recognizes his name is blatantly absurd since he recruits for Florida. When I read posts like yours I realize how glad I am that there are people in charge of this hire who know what they are doing.

• Upvote 2

Ok, I guess I'll jump on board and pretend that the majority of this board was not excited about McCarney last week. If you guys are fine with settling for mediocre then I guess I should have to agree right? I don't like the coaching hire, sorry for disagreeing with the oh so wise people on this board.

It's not your opinions that we question, it's the motivation behind them.

It's not your opinions that we question, it's the motivation behind them.

This isn't one of the Canales family idiots.

If I remember right, this is the thin-skinned guy who bows up and starts getting pissy whenever someone says anything remotely critical or corrects mistakes in his NT Daily articles.

FYI - Mac recruits Texas very well. We had over 25% of our roster from Texas and did all through his tenure as coach.

The high school kid don't need to know who he is until he recruits them. The key is having inroads with all of the high school coaches, which he most certainly does. I guarantee there isn't a high school coach in Texas that has anything negative at all to say about the man. If he can get guys from Texas to Iowa, he can get them to UNT.

• Upvote 2

FYI - Mac recruits Texas very well. We had over 25% of our roster from Texas and did all through his tenure as coach.

The high school kid don't need to know who he is until he recruits them. The key is having inroads with all of the high school coaches, which he most certainly does. I guarantee there isn't a high school coach in Texas that has anything negative at all to say about the man. If he can get guys from Texas to Iowa, he can get them to UNT.

Wow, had no idea that he recruited a quarter of your roster from Texas. This is good news. I'm hoping he continues to recruit Florida as well...I'm getting more and more excited.

Micah Mosley: Funny how RV has been in the locker room after every game since I've been here including away but when we are ready to make a statement he's no where to be found.

Statement by Mosley on Facebook

Lance Dunbar: Left if all out there.if coach c don't get dis job im gone!!

Statement by Lance on Facebook

Kc Obi: Real talk f@#$ Rick v and everybody who made this coaching decision!! Knowing when everybody at the university wanted coach C

Statement by KC on Facebook

Conor Gilmartin-Donohue Another Royal Fuck Up by UNT

Statement by Conor on Facebook

I'll take a good coach over good players any day.

• Downvote 1

Micah Mosley: Funny how RV has been in the locker room after every game since I've been here including away but when we are ready to make a statement he's no where to be found.

Kc Obi: Real talk f@#$ Rick v and everybody who made this coaching decision!! Knowing when everybody at the university wanted coach C

Welcome to the real world,kids.

HA! So Dickey was the reason for the SBC titles not the players? Get out of here.

Knock Dickey all you but he did win 4 straight conference titles. Not saying we didn't have the players but a good coach can generally replace players to fit his system. These kids will be gone in a couple of years then what? Please these kids are going through some knee jerk reactions and if they really want to go then they are more than welcome to leave. DM wasn't my first choice but he is here now and I'm going to support him because this is a hire that we haven't had in decades. A FBS HEAD coach that is heavily experienced that persuaded players from Texas to go to Ames, Iowa.

Mack Brown said his biggest recruit his first year at Texas was Ricky Williams staying for another year rather than going pro. McCarney's biggest recruiting challenge his first year may be getting to the returning players. They seem to be bitterly disappointed and stronly for Canales. McCarney will need to reach these returning players as well as recruiting new ones.

• Upvote 2

Same thing they were saying about Dodge, No? Everyone loves a good players coach. Dodge and Canales are gone and now we move on. Go Mean Green.

Mack Brown said his biggest recruit his first year at Texas was Ricky Williams staying for another year rather than going pro. McCarney's biggest recruiting challenge his first year may be getting to the returning players. They seem to be bitterly disappointed and stronly for Canales. McCarney will need to reach these returning players as well as recruiting new ones.

Agree. Job #1 for McCarney should be to make sure Lance Dunbar is tearing up the field for the Mean Green next year.

And in a couple of weeks these same KIDS will be posting how they are completely behind the new coach.

I wouldnt expect them to say anything different at this point.

My apologies for remembering you as a Canales family member. But, you really need to stop challenging people to a fight at recess. It makes you look like you are still in elementary school.

Edited by UNT90