I Support Dan Mccarney

UNTflyer

I wanted someone else. I wanted Jim Leavitt or Dennis Franchione. But I feel OK about this hire.

We don't know why Leavitt or Fran or Canales weren't chosen. Maybe Leavitt and Fran demanded $1 million+ for a salary. Maybe Canales just lacked the experience and the AD and BOR were hesitant to hire another coach with no Div I-A experience. And remember, the decision is not Rick's alone. All contracts must be approved by the BOR and I'm sure there has been a lot of input from sources other than Rawlins and Neinas.

But it appears the decision has been made, and no amount of kicking and screaming will change it. I understand there will probably be a few more days of this, and that's understandable. But when the press conference is done, I hope we all rally around the new coach and look forward to a new direction in UNT athletics.

At the very least, we just made this job more attractive with a serious increase in salary. McCarney will now be the highest paid coach in the Sun Belt, higher than most of the WAC and some of CUSA and MWC.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Coach! Now get to work!

Seeing what recruits he is able to reel in will be a good early indicator of how effective/ineffective he will be at North Texas. We have a crucial need for talent, are off to a relatively start and have a legacy of multiple losing seasons to overcome. If he can sell the program to future players, then he will be off to an excellent start. If he cannot, then we will have problems.

I wanted someone else. I wanted Jim Leavitt or Dennis Franchione. But I feel OK about this hire.

We don't know why Leavitt or Fran or Canales weren't chosen. Maybe Leavitt and Fran demanded $1 million+ for a salary. Maybe Canales just lacked the experience and the AD and BOR were hesitant to hire another coach with no Div I-A experience. And remember, the decision is not Rick's alone. All contracts must be approved by the BOR and I'm sure there has been a lot of input from sources other than Rawlins and Neinas.

But it appears the decision has been made, and no amount of kicking and screaming will change it. I understand there will probably be a few more days of this, and that's understandable. But when the press conference is done, I hope we all rally around the new coach and look forward to a new direction in UNT athletics.

At the very least, we just made this job more attractive with a serious increase in salary. McCarney will now be the highest paid coach in the Sun Belt, higher than most of the WAC and some of CUSA and MWC.

Agree. I will support the guy.

Coach Mac has a great resume. He appears to be someone who will work the PR angles to. RV has already said whomever is the new coach is going to be out in the community at every small town Lions Club, VFW Post, and Rotary Club meeting in Denton county. I'm hoping RV and Coach Mac bring back to rolling pep rallies. He also was able to recruit players - a lot of Texas players I read - to go to Ames Iowa. I've never been there, but it sounds like it makes Lubbock look like a holiday destination. He has been coaching long enough to have lots of great potential assistants in his Rolodex. Yes, there are some negatives but every coaching candidate has some negatives.

This guy appears to be the best hire since Hayden Fry. Hopefully, time will prove this true.

UNT has really taken a big step up from our previous years....with the new stadium...large salary to get a top notch coach...student involvement...Admin support and expections....all a far cry from the days of Al Hurley....SO...it makes me a very happy guy...remember just 2 or 3 years ago it was Fouts and a HS coach and UNT the laughing stock of college football in the country....well now that is all about to change....get some prespective. While I really liked Canales and hopes he stays at UNT, he really wants to be a HC more than to be at UNT...he said he hopes he stays on, but his agent will be looking hard for him a HC position. I wish we would just give him a raise...maybe make him the Assist HC and convince him to wait a few more years in lovely Denton to take over as HC.

coach Mac will do a great job at UNT....I am pretty sure of this! I think he did pretty good at Iowa State considering his resources, location and conference. I too will support Dan as the new HC at UNT until I am given a reason not to....and considering some of the coaches we have had in the past, it would take a lot.

Oh...and I am sure that much of this decision was made above RV's position...it usually is regardless if you are UNT or Texas or OU...top brass and large donors make the call.

Great days are ahead for the Mean Green !

UNT has really taken a big step up from our previous years....with the new stadium...large salary to get a top notch coach...student involvement...Admin support and expections....all a far cry from the days of Al Hurley....

As a student and Daily editor during the days of President Hurley, I think he gets too much of a bad rap for our athletic travails. He started at UNT the same month that we were dropped to I-AA. It wasn't his doing that got us there.

Though Hurley was not pro-athletics, he did manage to save football from a push to shut down the program. We could've been another UTA.

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation, Coach Mac. I can't wait for you to show us why RV and Company felt you ewere the best choice for the job of bringing the Mean Green back to #1 in the SBC.

Welcome to Denton and welcome to the Mean Green.

I would love to see 35 - 40 points for the Mean Green every game like we began seeing under Canales as HC. Mix that with a defense and you have a power in the making. I just loved watching disciplined football, methodical at points with big play potential. Dislike him or not that is what Canales had us playing over the last month. DM's O coordinator will have to come in an repeat that type of experience for me to "buy in." If he does build that on both sides of the ball I will be excited and on board. I just don't follow with blind faith. I need to see tangible improvements and energy. Life is short and I liked how Urgent Canales was for our program. I just see DM coming in expecting 3 years to get this trainwreck back on track. Not excited about another 1000 plus days of Mean Green build to a 3 win, then 5 win, then 7, win then 9 win season.

I wish like heck we would see a DM and Canales combo but i just don't see it happening. I will support Coach C wherever he goes because he will build a winner. I will support him and look forward to watching him develop young men for life and lift a trophy. Hope it isn't a competitor but if it is I will still root for MC.

Meanwhile let the rebuilding again - 8 years of it by the time this is all said and done. Urgent.

Welcome Coach!

We want you to succeed as much as we know you want to succeed at UNT. What more could either party ask for than that?

UNT may be the best job match you've ever had your entire career. We know Coach Fry would tell you how North Texas turned his career around and I'd bet he's told you that already--maybe once or twice? :rolleyes:

GMG!