Dan Mccarney Accepts Unt Job

KingDL1

McCarney, who took Iowa State to five bowl games, is the most accomplished coach UNT has hired since Hayden Fry in the 1970s. He had a 56-85 record in 12 seasons with the Cyclones from 1995 to 2006, making him the program's winningest head coach. His 2000 Iowa State team snapped a 22-year bowl win drought.

• Upvote 2

"Other finalists for the job included former Tulsa and Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe and Dennis Franchione, whose coaching stops included recent stints at TCU, Alabama and Texas A&M. Interim coach Mike Canales was also considered. "

Wow.

I would like to hear what went wrong with Coach Fran's interview but I like McCarney better than Kragthorpe. I will support McCarney and hope he will consider talking Canales into staying on as OC.

• Downvote 1

"Other finalists for the job included former Tulsa and Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe and Dennis Franchione, whose coaching stops included recent stints at TCU, Alabama and Texas A&M. Interim coach Mike Canales was also considered. "

Wow.

Yip, we chose a coach who had a 56-85 over a coach who had a 187-101-2 record.

And we will pay him 500+K to do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

McCarney, who took Iowa State to five bowl games, is the most accomplished coach UNT has hired since Hayden Fry in the 1970s. He had a 56-85 record in 12 seasons with the Cyclones from 1995 to 2006, making him the program's winningest head coach. His 2000 Iowa State team snapped a 22-year bowl win drought.

I kept rereading those same sentences myself. I'm still debating as to which is the saddest fact of these three:

Most accomplished coach UNT has hired since Hayden Fry in the 1970s.

He had a 56-85 record.

He was the program's winningest head coach (with that 56-85 record).

I would like to hear what went wrong with Coach Fran's interview but I like McCarney better than Kragthorpe. I will support McCarney and hope he will consider talking Canales into staying on as OC.

NT80 I do too, Fran would seem so much better for our neck of the woods.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know he may be ten times better then Canales I am not sure why we hate him already.

I don't think anyone hates McCarney. We just don't want him at North Texas. Canales has set the bar now. McCarney needs to lead NT to within 8 points of beating a Big 12 caliber team by the end of his first season.

I hope he is contacted by one of the schools with recent opening, and decides not to come here. That said, I don't hate the man. I hate the choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is a saying that "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know". We knew what we had in Mike Canales.

Be thankful that the decision is made and we are not procrastinating. I'm not from Missouri, but McCarney is going to have to SHOW us what he's got, PDQ. No fancy rhetoric, no doublespeak, no jive. Come in here under full steam, Coach Mac, roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Doubt he stays til after some crappy (for Florida) bowl game. I would hope not, after watching the Gators get steamrolled 31-7 by an average Florida State team tonight.

I agree. That would be unacceptable. If he is our coach he has start immediately.

Also -- does anyone know what his offensive philosophy is? I know he's a defensive coach but is he inclined to come in and re-build the entire offense?

I agree. That would be unacceptable. If he is our coach he has start immediately.

Also -- does anyone know what his offensive philosophy is? I know he's a defensive coach but is he inclined to come in and re-build the entire offense?

Seems like some of the UF fans want him to start rebuilding our offense by bringing some UF offensive assistants here with him.