Brent Venables Resume

MeanGreenDan

I really wish RV would simply say publicly that Leavitt is out because he has too much legal baggage.

You, nor anyone else knows what really happened with Leavitt, but If you don't want him, then Im sure you don't want Leach. Come to think of it, you don't want Canales either becuase he worked for Leavitt.

So, who do you want?

Rudy - You are correct, i do not know what really happened with Leavitt, but I am for him as a coach. So I think you misunderstood me. I am saying that it was spoken that he had too much Samsonite for us.

That is straight from the horse's mouth. Just saying it is one name that we probably could drop off the list at this point if that mindset is still holding true by those making the decision.

I really wish RV would simply say publicly that Leavitt is out because he has too much legal baggage.

That way PMG would have a better understanding of what has already been said, just not publicly. I don't give two sh%&s what these so called big time donors think, it is not their choice either. There will be an elevator for their needs. Tell them to donate more so they can have their name on a plaque inside of it.

But let me guess. My statement doesn't matter because I don't have thousands of posts and have not been on this forum forever. Seems like anyone that is new here is less than welcomed by the Ole' Guys Alumni as PMG likes to call it. Automatically, it is assumed that if you are new you are somehow only rooting for Canales.

It is a shame that a forum for the fans is constantly barraged by pop shots from one or two people. Harry, maybe it is time to announce that the status quo is not what you intended when you started this place and new opinions might be worth something.

To those who are a little older Alumni and do appreciate a differing opinion here and there, thank you.

(I would have put emoticons throughout my text but I figure why pollute a post with BS!)

PMG - Notice the normal text size? It is ok to be normal. Not everyone wants or needs to read text that is the size of a headline, or is it that you think it makes your opinion grandeur.

Why beat around the bush, just tell me how you really feel here. :rolleyes:

I sometimes use big letters because some of us have watched too many damn football games at Fouts Field the last 30 or so years (give or take) and we just have to have the large letter Readers Digest type edition of BIG LETTERS at times. Otherwise, a magnifying sheet will suffice.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Do you know for a fact that those are the only candidates with head coaching experience?

However, none of the above may be interviewed and I sure wouldn't pick one without a complete report on the candidate and an interview.

Jack, this is just not Abner's, Mean Joe's, Kenny Washington's Mean Green football program anymore (for the moment--at least) so we may sometimes be wasting our time even trying to understand some of whats been going on of late but...

... BHF? (Before Hayden Fry) One fellow alum (a Canales supporter BTW) was reminding me the other day how North Texas had actually beaten the #2 ranked Ark. Razorbacks the same season which would end up in Fayettville in what would be called "the Game of the Century" against Darrell Royal's UT Longhorns.

The late great Ronnie Shanklin told me at Fort Worth's Dos Gringos for lunch one day back in the 80's when he was recruiting for Corky how years later a Razorback from that Frank Broyles team called him out of the blue one day and told Ron "hey, you guys actually did beat us in that game which the SWC referee threw in our favor." Of course, since Ron was involved with that play, he told me while eating some great Mexican food he did (in fact) catch that ball.

I was still in High School during that era of MG Football, but I sure do wish I could have seen some of those Mean Green football teams. How lucky you fans were during that era of our MG football history.

Question for GrayEagle: I know you will shoot straight with me, but could have Fry's teams beaten any of the Joe Green teams? My response would say "no" they could not have but give us your take if you have time. JP

• 8 years later...

I love Seth Littrell as our coach...but I didn't realize we were in the market for Venables after the Dodge era.  Seems like a big miss.  That being said, Venables was a young unproven coordinator at the time...similar to Littrell when we hired him.  I think Seth will have a national championship under his belt at some point as head coach.  Unfortunately, that probably won't be here, but The Wren knows quality when he sees it, and I have faith in the man.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2010 at 5:38 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

.Question for GrayEagle: I know you will shoot straight with me, but could have Fry's teams beaten any of the Joe Green teams? My response would say "no" they could not have but give us your take if you have time. JP

Is @GrayEagle still pondering this question 8 years later?

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Was Venables also considered back along with Dodge or was it a different OU assistant (maybe Wilson?)

Once the university found out how cheap Dodge would work, and how low an assistant pool he would settle for, not sure anyone else was really considered. 

Night and day difference in how athletics is funded (and perceived) now.  

27 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Once the university found out how cheap Dodge would work, and how low an assistant pool he would settle for, not sure anyone else was really considered. 

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/uiconstock/socialmedia/128/Google-Plus-One-icon.png

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Funded, definitely. Perceived, hopefully. I assume you are referring to only UNT in regards to perception. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, All About UNT said:

someone last night brought up that Venables was once a candidate here some time back... simple search of "Venables GoMeanGreen" does the trick in under 5 seconds.

I missed the reference to Venables last night, I just thought someone was scrolling and scolling reading old posts! 😊

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

GMG hot takes that didnt age well.

It is fair to say Carl Pelini would’ve been a poor choice but DeRuyter has a couple of decent seasons at Fresno before it went south (just like Mac). 

Venebles is still not a head coach to this day so this is all a moot point. Plenty of highly successful coordinators have been terrible head coaches so until he wins something as a head coach there is no argument to be made here. He was never coming here as a DC so why are we bringing his Clemson DC success up?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2