For The Mike Leach Camp

Cr1028

They say the best way to get a realistic view of a situation is to step back and take an outsiders view.

I ask you all to go to google news and use search terms "Mike Leach" and "North Texas". I haven't found one yet that doesn't find the idea of him coming here as laughable.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

They say the best way to get a realistic view of a situation is to step back and take an outsiders view.

I ask you all to go to google news and use search terms "Mike Leach" and "North Texas". I haven't found one yet that doesn't find the idea of him coming here as laughable.

Not too long ago the idea of Obama for president or Boise or TCU in a BCS championship game was laughable, but no one seems to be laughing about those possibilities now. Meaningless.

I would say that the best way to get a realistic view of the situation is to talk directly to Mike Leach.

• Upvote 3

A lot of outsiders believe that NT is a commuter school that doesn't have any business trying to play fb division football. I think Leach is going to have a hard time getting a college job anywhere. How many AD's want the headache. He certainly doesn't fit a lot of the profile, RV has outlined. But to put forth the idea that NT is not worthly of any one's consideration, is defeatism at it's worse.

• Upvote 2

I think your school has considerable potential which is why I've ventured over here. However, with the utmost respect, even if you had the money to pay him, Mike Leach isn't coming to UNT.

You want a veteran coach? Think Glen Mason, Terry Bowden, Gary Barnett, Dan McCarney or Jim Donnan. All have warts but none has exactly been an ax murderer and all have been successful to some degree at an AQ school and might be a possibility.

I think Leach is going to have a hard time getting a college job anywhere. How many AD's want the headache.

He hasn't been out of coaching long enough that he's going to consider a job with a SBC school. Right now, I suspect Leach's agent is making informal inquiries about the probable openings at Colorado and ASU. Both are schools in an AQ conference which therefore have money to pay him, both fit his geographical footprint (he's a Mormon guy from Utah originally) and both have hired coaches who weren't exactly known for being squeeky clean, like Neuheisal and Barnett at CU and Erickson at ASU. There was also a rumor several weeks ago that Leach might be interested in the UNM job if they could get together the money to buy out Mike Locksley but Leach put the kibosh on that pretty quickly.

Aim for the bottom and that is where you are sure to end up.

• Upvote 1

He hasn't been out of coaching long enough that he's going to consider a job with a SBC school. Right now, I suspect Leach's agent is making informal inquiries about the probable openings at Colorado and ASU. Both are schools in an AQ conference which therefore have money to pay him, both fit his geographical footprint (he's a Mormon guy from Utah originally) and both have hired coaches who weren't exactly known for being squeeky clean, like Neuheisal and Barnett at CU and Erickson at ASU. There was also a rumor several weeks ago that Leach might be interested in the UNM job if they could get together the money to buy out Mike Locksley but Leach put the kibosh on that pretty quickly.

My money is on him going to Washington State.

I highly doubt Leach would have any interest in NT and likewise that NT would want him. As you point out, a guy out of coaching less than a year from a job making $2m+ is not likely to jump at a Belt job. Conversely, I can't imagine too many schools and AD's wanting to deal with Leach. There are not many out there like Gerald Myers who would take on both Leach and Bobby Knight. However, to imply that NT is some how not worthy of Leach is baseless. Someone will eventually hire Leach who is desperate for wins and I think he will once again be successful, however he is far from a hot commodity.

My money is on him going to Washington State.

I think he would be a great hire for them. However, WSU may not have the money to pay him. SDSU's current AD was hired away from WSU and I've heard he became frustrated with the limited resources available there. Pac-10 TV money is nice but you also need rich alumni to open their wallets and apparently WSU has problems in that area.

BTW, the guy who runs the CU Rivals site said on Rivals Radio this morning that he doubts the Buffs will hire Leach. Speculation he's hearing is the leading candidates are Eric Bienemy, who would make sense for a number of reasons, and Bill McCartney, who some influential alumni are supposedly pushing for but who would be an incredibly dumb hire if for no other reason than he's been out of coaching for 16 years. (Insert rolleyes emoticon.)

He'll probably fumble the interview.

When Bienemy was UCLA's recruiting coordinator there was much speculation that a significant part of the success of Karl Duh-rell was all the studs Bienemy brought in. Having now also been in the NFL, Bienemy would be a good hire for CU, IMO. Certainly vastly better than McCartney, who apparently has a bunch of old fart supporters that are certain he can duplicate his prior success. Of course to do so, McCartney would have to find some more lowlifes from the inner city of L.A. like Rae Carruth and the other wide receiver Michael somebody (can't recall the last name) who punched out a couple teammates on the Redskins. At least at this point in time McCartney presumably doesn't have any more young daughters who can get knocked up by his players and the Buff Backers booster club has been reined in so it no longer - allegedly - provides strippers (or worse) on recruiting visits.