Good Game

Mean Green 93-98

In the past 4 years, we have lost to Troy 45-7, 45-17, and 50-26. They have thoroughly dominated us. Troy may be down a little from previous years, but they're still the class of the Belt. While we didn't pull out a win, I saw an impressive game played by the Mean Green tonight. They played smart overall, they played tough, they won the turnover battle. Everybody wanted a win, but I still tip my hat to the coaches and players for this game.

• Upvote 5

In the past 4 years, we have lost to Troy 45-7, 45-17, and 50-26. They have thoroughly dominated us. Troy may be down a little from previous years, but they're still the class of the Belt. While we didn't pull out a win, I saw an impressive game played by the Mean Green tonight. They played smart overall, they played tough, they won the turnover battle. Everybody wanted a win, but I still tip my hat to the coaches and players for this game.

UNT showed it can play with anybody in the belt tonight.

• Upvote 1

UNT showed it can play with anybody in the belt tonight.

Absolutely.

While I expect a bitter shellacking at the hands of K-State--they are currently whupping Texas 31-0--I honestly and truly expect us to win our last two Belt games, and will be disappointed with anything less.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I do not think K State is as great as everyone makes them out to be. UT is just not as good as they have been. Do I expect a win against KSU, not yet, but something similar to Clemson would be expected if not better even with a bunch of 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers for us.

I do not think K State is as great as everyone makes them out to be. UT is just not as good as they have been. Do I expect a win against KSU, not yet, but something similar to Clemson would be expected if not better even with a bunch of 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers for us.

The K-state game will be ugly... for us.

I also agree with the others.... good game for the most part. Unfortunately, our O-line had an AWFUL game.

We will be there turkey dinner that weekend, wish this game would have been our last one at Fouts and we were coming off 3 belt wins. But hey, while I don't like losing AGAIN, this was the best football I have witnessed out Fouts in 3.5 years. And by that, I mean the demeanor of the team and fans during the walk over, the pace at which the team warmed up, and they fact they never quit. We were in it for the most part, and most importantly at the end of the game.

It is just amazing that one person removed as coach, and an OC promoted to head coach, that this team has so much more discipline, no quit, halftime adjustments, and wins the turnover battles. I don't know if Canalas is the answer long term, but gosh is this team different.

• Upvote 5

It is just amazing that one person removed as coach, and an OC promoted to head coach, that this team has so much more discipline, no quit, halftime adjustments, and wins the turnover battles. I don't know if Canalas is the answer long term, but gosh is this team different.

+1, and yes, I felt like I had not been watching D1 college ball in our stadium for as long as, well you know. Tonight, for the first time since following UNT following this time around, I felt like our head coach was on a par with the best our conference has to offer. I even noticed Mean Joe was having a good time. I got to shake hands with that great man after the game, so tonight was worth it for me.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of that did anyone see Dodge at the game?

Our team really stepped up against Troy. Our offense put up 35 points against the Troy defense, who I consider the most talented if not best defense in the Belt. I give coach Canales and the players alot of credit for pulling that off.

That said, our defense really had trouble slowing down Troy most of the night. Troy was bigger, faster, and more athletic, and it showed. The fact that we had the ball with 3 minutes left in the game, and a chance to drive for the winning score, says alot about the caliber of coach Canales is.

I don't know how this coaching search is being done, but I know we need to keep coach Canales at UNT.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of that did anyone see Dodge at the game?

As I was walking to the home side from tailgating, we passed T. Dodge. He was walking toward the visiting side although I have no idea where he sat. I'm sure it's very hard for him to be there as a professional given the situation...but easy as a father. In passing I said "hey coach"...he very politely replied, "hey guys, ya'll doing alright?".

I hope to see him at more games. As it's been said many times on this board, he is a class act.

I was very proud of this team last night. They have put forth the effort all year and never seem to give up.

Riley Dodge, what can you say more about his toughness? Win or lose, for the rest of his career, he's up there in my toughness category with Cody Spencer, Scott Hall, Johnny Quinn and all the rest who played hurt and seemed to excel.

Rick

• Upvote 3

This was just as good of a showing as any team has played against us all season. Hopefully Canales gets the job because, it's obvious, that the kids believe in his motivational style. They locked the gate, but we jumped the fence...Eventhough the Belt has under-performed a little this year, there are no 0-win teams and only a few blowouts in conference play...We're growing and we have a good nucleus to build upon.