Norm: 'why Can't North Texas Be Boise?"

PlummMeanGreen

How many people are in Boise, Wyoming and what has that got to do with the discussion?

585,000 in the Metro....and there are 600,000+ in Denton County. You can subtract about 200,000 of those in that they are in areas far closer to Dallas than Denton but still there is a sizable population in close driving vicinity that should and can be harnessed to get attached to the school. I like the thought of putting up MG banners across the city (not just the square) to get the brand all over the city of Denton (110,000+ people). I also like somehow associating the area with the school (i.e. "THE PRIDE OF NORTH TEXAS) or even down to the county level. Nienas validated (as RV mentioned yest) what we all knew and gave us the 3rd Party perspective to get funding approved for these projects. All this talk in funding means I will be answering the next fundraiser call (rather than ignore) and prob shell out again. ;) You should too. $5-$1 Million...a gift is a gift.

Maybe this has been mentioned in another thread that I have missed, but I seem to remember back when we were trying to move up from D1-AA to D1 that we got the local businesses in town involved by selling them a type of "package" where they had some tickets and a green UNT flag including a flag post for them to be able to fly their flag on game days in Denton - am I imagining this or does anyone else remember it? Seems like we maybe ask businesses that had season ticket buyers to encourage other businesses in town to do this? It was an attempt to sell tickets and get people out to the games since we needed attendence, but I always thought we created more interest that year than ever before?

True, but you also got to consider that we have a gazillionbillion more people in the metroplex than there are in Boise, Wyoming.

Edit: I saw you got corrected for it already, but I haven't used facepalm jesus in a while..

jesus+facepalm.png

Edited by mdh0192
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is changing. Our new president is working right now to provide resources (it is not the athletic department failing to do it as we have limited funding) to do more in the next year. Signs, billboards,etc. will start to pop up soon pushing athletics and not just numbers. As I said last night we will use the resources to do a better job. In this market it is tougher than most. We have no local TV or radio station that provides much more than game exposure and trying to buy that time in Dallas is impossible. Ask SMU and TCU. They're not able to do it either (i.e. the failure of the Pony Up promotion) because financially you can't sustain it. But in Fort Worth (and it has a lot to do with winning) everyone has gone purple from the city to the general publi and business community. We just have to be positive and continue to ask everyone to promote all the time.

Really appreciate this response and the earlier one to GreenDozer. The fact that you are willing to come on this board and acknowledge that it has, indeed, been a problem and one that must be addressed says a great deal to me about where this program expects to go and be in the very near future. As a noted author once wrote "these are the worst of times, these are the best of times". It will be what we all make it, but the first step is being able to recognize past mistakes and moving forward. Not in dwelling on those mistakes nor in holding past mistakes against the program or its supporters be they in business or individuals. Together, we CAN and WILL move this program to a higher level.

I remain a VERY proud member of the Mean Green nation. Go Mean Green.