Have a Question

GrayEagle

Years ago the University of North Texas was assigned a (educational) television station, KDTN-TV, Channel 2. As I recall, we did not really want to try to raise funds for the equipment so we entered into an agreement with Channel 13 in Dallas for them to televise over our band using their equipment. That has been going on for years; Channel 2 and Channel 13 telecasting out of the same Dallas studio.

Does nayone know why there has never been an attempt to build a television studio on campus? It seems to me, that the television station would be a good training ground for RTVF majors. They could learn to produce some of their own shows. We could still run the PBS broadcasts that are running now but get much more publicity out about the University of North Texas in the meantime.

I'm sure that a campaign would have to be started to build an operating reserve and an ongoing giving campaign to keep it operative. I don't see this as competition for donations for athletics. I think that you would get a different set of donors, although a few might overlap.

Anyway, it's food for thought. Maybe someone knows why in all these years there hasn't been an attempt to move Channel 2 to Denton. Anyone know?

I would fathom a guess that money would be more prohibitive than you would imagine. Maybe CAV could answer the cost question?

I know that the Journalism and RTVF depts would love to have it and are working together more on broadcast news training. But the costs would really be high.

Maybe it was thought of when they remodeled the RTVF building?

Keep in mind that KNTU is barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Did some production gear go down in the middle of a pledge drive a while back?

I thinks it a great idea though. Maybe CAV can shed some light on what it would take.

Also since NTTV is broadcast only during the fall and spring semesters it might not fly for real broadcast.

Seeya,

Shane

Budgets can always be re-arranged. If WKU can afford to have a high quality satellite broadcasting station then certainly NT can figure out a way to at least use the station on a part time basis. Start off with some sporting events that are easy to put together and fun for the students to do as well.

I don't know the entire history of KDTN but I know Channel 13 still runs and programs it from Dallas. KDTN actually had a studio on campus at TWU at one point. The studio is still there, but it is in very poor condition. They actually still have a floor to ceiling mold of the call letters on the wall.

The 2 studios in the newly renovated RTVF building are really nice. They are used quite a bit by classes and NTTV. There is another studio at the Center for Media Production, which is just as nice as the RTVF ones (if not better). This is where CAV works.

I sort of doubt that PBS would allow students to run one of its stations with turnover every semester, but it is an interesting idea since KDTN has no local Denton programming.

By the way, one of the members of the RTVF department advisory council is "Rick Owen, chief engineer and chief technology officer for KERA-TV and KDTN-TV." (from UNT website).

NTTV (an education cable access station run by students) started doing Mean Green basketball games again this semester.

You would reach a larger audience with a broadcast channel, so this would be something worthwhile. However, I think it would be quite expensive to buy the station back from KERA Ch 13, but that is a guess. With budget cuts, there is no way this could happen without a big donation.

I would fathom a guess that money would be more prohibitive than you would imagine. Maybe CAV could answer the cost question?

I know that the Journalism and RTVF depts would love to have it and are working together more on broadcast news training. But the costs would really be high.

Maybe it was thought of when they remodeled the RTVF building?

Keep in mind that KNTU is barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Did some production gear go down in the middle of a pledge drive a while back?

I thinks it a great idea though. Maybe CAV can shed some light on what it would take.

Also since NTTV is broadcast only during the fall and spring semesters it might not fly for real broadcast.

Seeya,

Shane

Speaking of KNTU, I still don't understand why a 100,000 (is it killowatts?) power station cannot be picked up in Parker County.

Speaking of KNTU, I still don't understand why a 100,000 (is it killowatts?) power station cannot be picked up in Parker County.

I think they're still running on a backup transmitter since they lost their transmitter in a storm a little while back. 100,000 watt transmitters are f-ing expensive to the 10th degree.

KNTU Repairs

All I know is that you can pick it up all the way out to Waskom TX (on the state line to LA) when the weather is clear.

Seeya,

Shane

Years ago the University of North Texas was assigned a (educational)  television station, KDTN-TV, Channel 2.

FALSE

As I recall, we did not really want to try to raise funds for the equipment so we entered into an agreement with Channel 13 in Dallas for them to televise over our band using their equipment.  That has been going on for years; Channel 2 and Channel 13 telecasting out of the same Dallas studio.

It was actually TWU.

Does nayone know why there has never been an attempt to build a television studio on campus?  

Yes, in the RTVF Building.

It seems to me, that the television station would be a good training ground for RTVF majors.  They could learn to produce some of their own shows.  We could still run the PBS broadcasts that are running now but get much more publicity out about the University of North Texas in the meantime.

Channel 2 is mainly educational programming and RTVF majors have channel 22 on cable.

I'm sure that a campaign would have to be started to build an operating reserve and an ongoing giving campaign to keep it operative. I don't see this as competition for donations for athletics.  I think that you would get a different set of donors, although a few might overlap.  

I would rather see a new football stadium first!

Anyway, it's food for thought.  Maybe someone knows why in all these years there hasn't been an attempt to move Channel 2 to Denton.  Anyone know?

Eat some more kettle corn and dream of football season!

UNT was never assigned a broadcast TV station! KERA/KDTN had a psuedo-studio and an office at TWU for several years after they applied for the FCC license to broadcast on the frequency. UNT RTVF's department does have a cable channel 22 on Charter Cable and RTVF now has two great new studios after the remodeling of the old Speech and Drama building which is now the RTVF Building.

In the 90's I helped produce a magazine type show called "Denton Quarterly". The shows executive producers were Charlie Orbison and JoAnn Ballentine. It mainly featured stories on local issues or people. But after they quit the show, public TV does not pay well, it has not been in production since '97.

KERA also had interest in the Denton City Council Elections in the early 90's. They came to Sammons Studios and taped City Council debates that did air on channel 2. But, for the last several years I don't know if KERA/KDTN has produced any local programming about Denton.