Do We Need A Full Regime Change?

stebo

I get the feeling that this won't be a popular post. That being said, I think that Mr Mosely made some compelling points. How would the fan base feel with Deloach as the HC and Canales as the Asst HC? Do we need to tear the whole thing down or are the parts in place already with a change at head coach?

I like many of the coaches, especially Shelton Gandy and Chuck Peterson, but I think you have to allow the new coach to have the option to bring in his own staff. If he wants to keep some of our best guys, thats great, but if not, you shouldn't force him.

Oh, and just say NO to making anyone on the current staff anything more than an interim head coach. Next year we need fresh blood.

Edited by Cr1028

I get the feeling that this won't be a popular post. That being said, I think that Mr Mosely made some compelling points. How would the fan base feel with Deloach as the HC and Canales as the Asst HC? Do we need to tear the whole thing down or are the parts in place already with a change at head coach?

Compelling?? More like compassionate, if anything.

New stadium, new HC & staff just makes too much sense, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Do you mean for the rest of the season?

Neither of the coordinators have shown their ready to be a HC. This team needs someone with D1 HC experience.

Think about this:

RV hires Jim Leavitt.

Reunites him with his former OC, Deloach is respected and has brought the defense back, most of the other coaches may also be acceptable to Leavitt.

Another coach would probably clean house and start over, meaning the athletes start from scratch with plays, terminology, etc. This team is close to turning the corner...I believe it. I would hate to see everything torn down and the beginning of a rebuilding effort...again. Can we salvage something here?

• Upvote 1

Think about this:

RV hires Jim Leavitt.

Reunites him with his former OC, Deloach is respected and has brought the defense back, most of the other coaches may also be acceptable to Leavitt.

Another coach would probably clean house and start over, meaning the athletes start from scratch with plays, terminology, etc. This team is close to turning the corner...I believe it. I would hate to see everything torn down and the beginning of a rebuilding effort...again. Can we salvage something here?

I think this is a very interesting idea... Also - for Shaft, I was thinking that this move could be made on an interim basis to see what the results look like.

This team is close to turning the corner...I believe it.

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. What corner are we close to turning? We're 1-6 and that's pretty much been the standard for the last 4 years. OK, so we've had some injuries this year. Maybe we'd be 4-3, without the injuries? Maybe we'd still be 1-6? The point is no one knows and, frankly, no one outside of UNT cares. We're not going to win any recruits by telling them that we're 1-6 but we're close to being 4-3. The NCAA doesn't make exceptions in their bowl eligibility requirements for teams with injured players and we're not going to get any sympathy bowl invites for having have the most starters suffer season-ending injuries. Winning is the only thing that this program is going to be judged on by the world outside of UNT. Does it suck? Yes, but that's reality.

Should we keep some of the current staff? I don't know but I'll trust that decision to a legitimate FBS qualified HC. If the new HC chooses to bring in an entire staff of HS, JUCO or even FCS coaches, then he shouldn't be hired. At the same time, I don't believe anyone on the current staff is irreplaceable nor do I believe that we have the top coach in the FBS at any one of our positions. Each position is capable of being "upgraded" in coaching talent but, again, I think those decisions should be left up to whomever the new coach may be, provided that new coach is capable of selecting a qualified and competent staff.

Think about this:

RV hires Jim Leavitt.

This intrigues me. Leavitt is as solid as they come on defense. He also has ties to former Kansas State coaches like Mark Mangino, who was also outsted from his job over a weird player accusation.

I'd be fine with Leavitt as head coach, Canales as OC, and Mangino as OL coach or co-offensive coordinator. He was the offensive coordinator at OU when they won their title in 2000.

It's well known that Kansas is bombing without Mangino. South Florida began the 2007-2009 seasons 6-0, 5-0, and 5-0 respectively. This year, their first without Leavitt, they are 3-3 and 0-2 in the Big East.

Let's let Kansas' and South Florida's mistake in firing those guys be our gain.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if we need a full regime change. But I definitely want a new strength and condition coach. At some point, you have to start pointing a finger and stop blaming "fluke" injuries.

I think you need more information on how the injuries happened before you can point the finger at anyone. There are just too many factors that would play in to the cause of an injury, rolled up on by another player, foot "stuck" in the turf, etc..., before anyone can point blame at Coach Char.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if we need a full regime change. But I definitely want a new strength and condition coach. At some point, you have to start pointing a finger and stop blaming "fluke" injuries.

You might want to look at the injury list again. You can't really use a conditioning coach to keep someone from snapping a bone. I figured you of all people would know that.

You might want to look at the injury list again. You can't really use a conditioning coach to keep someone from snapping a bone. I figured you of all people would know that.

Actually you can, weight training immensely improves bone density. I figured you would have known that.

• Upvote 2

Actually you can, weight training immensely improves bone density. I figured you would have known that.

That is true for geriatric patients or those who have lost or or starting to lose bone density. The amount of increase in bone density for trained athletes in their teen and under 21 is negligible . If you press hard enough on a bone a will still break.

As for do we need a full regime change - think the incoming coach should make that decision. JUst look at the Cowboys under multiple head coaches for what happens when management choose assistants for the head coach. Management (read RV) should have veto rights, but not be making the actual choices.

Lets not bring in a new coach then not allow him to do his job!

Yes, weight training can improve bone density, strenghten muscles, and strengthen the joints and muscles around joints. Also, players' diets can play a part in all three too, in addition to contributing to their cardiovascular endurance and body fat percentage. Once again, I'm not stating it is his fault as I don't know the programs he has them on and I don't have the injury list downloaded to my Blackberry, but it is something that definitely has to be looked into.

thats kind of a reach. correct me if i am wrong, but i think we have lost 4 players to broken bones, 1 to a dislocated hip, and the remainder to acl tears. i have a hard time laying these injuries at the feet of any particular coach. however, the acl injuries COULD be due to players being physically overmatched.just speculation on my part.

LOL, we'd be better served hiring a ballet or gymnastics instructor to teach players how to fall gracefully and not put additional stress on their bones, while increasing flexibility.

This intrigues me. Leavitt is as solid as they come on defense. He also has ties to former Kansas State coaches like Mark Mangino, who was also outsted from his job over a weird player accusation.

I'd be fine with Leavitt as head coach, Canales as OC, and Mangino as OL coach or co-offensive coordinator. He was the offensive coordinator at OU when they won their title in 2000.

It's well known that Kansas is bombing without Mangino. South Florida began the 2007-2009 seasons 6-0, 5-0, and 5-0 respectively. This year, their first without Leavitt, they are 3-3 and 0-2 in the Big East.

Let's let Kansas' and South Florida's mistake in firing those guys be our gain.

if mangino will work for food,can we afford to feed him?

I'm pretty sure we can look at the weight gain of just about every single player over last offseason as some serious weight training going on. However, if they're doing it right or not is a legitimate question that I don't think anyone on here has a qualified answer for.

To answer the thread title: if a coaching change is made, YES. No piece-mealing this thing (unless of course, the new coach choses to keep some of the old staff)

Think about this:

RV hires Jim Leavitt.

I like this idea, in fact I've been secretly hoping this is an option in RV's head.