Injury Bug Will Buy Td Another Season

nautique

Not a chance. All his excuses are used up. It was either win this year with whatever hand he was dealt, or find another job. I like Dodge, and even STILL want him to succeed, but if not, make the change.

A bunch of people on here are saying that RV needs to keep his word, and not fire Dodge until the sixth loss, and I agree with that. He also needs to keep his word that if the required results are not achieved, a change will be made. I honestly think that the fanbase will take a huge hit if Dodge is brought back after another 1-4 win season.

Injuries are part of the game, but this is completely outside the norm. Heck, if all these players get medical shirts, we'll have one heck of a team next year given the return of all the injured players plus new recruits. I think I'd rather give Dodge one more year than to start over fresh yet again, which almost guarantee another 2-4 years of losing. Dodge appeared to have this nearly turned around early in the season until all the crazy injuries hit.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Injuries are part of the game, but this is completely outside the norm. Heck, if all these players get medical shirts, we'll have one heck of a team next year given the return of all the injured players plus new recruits. I think I'd rather give Dodge one more year than to start over fresh yet again, which almost guarantee another 2-4 years of losing. Dodge appeared to have this nearly turned around early in the season until all the crazy injuries hit.

Ken Murczek, the new volleyball coach has turned things around in less than 1 year, with players that he did not recruit, plus a couple of transfers. I know where you are coming from, but it is not impossible for the RIGHT hire to turn things around immediately, especially with the talent we already have.

As for the medical redshirts, I think those went out the window after the ARMY game, not sure though.

• Upvote 1

I believe the injuries might buy Coach Dodge a little leeway--i.e., if he were to finish with 6 wins, or maybe with 5, he might get to open the new stadium. But it simply will not get him another free pass.

I tend to agree with MG93-98 here... With all of the injuries, and 4-6 wins, I think Dodge would probably be cut some slack. ...but we've now witnessed two of the most likely wins (Rice & ULL) slip through our fingers as if it were last year. Even to hit 4 wins, we'd need 3 more, and I don't see 3 more winnable games. Our next three opponents combined have as many wins as we do - 1. Had we beat ULL this week on the heels of taking care of FAU, I'd be feelin' pretty cocky about our chances of rolling into Troy undefeated in conference. ...now, I'm trying to justify how I can feel like we have a chance at a win for the rest of the season, much less run the bottom half of the belt.

Despite an OCC record that sucked, we could really build on a pair of wins in the belt, despite the injuries IMHO... ...but this loss was SO darned deflating, I don't know what we're going to get next.

Even if the bar is reset to 4-5 wins due to the bizzare circumstances of the year, does anyone really feel that is even a long shot right now?

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. ...but unless we pull it off this weekend, you'll find me exceedingly difficult to convince.

Ken Murczek, the new volleyball coach has turned things around in less than 1 year, with players that he did not recruit, plus a couple of transfers. I know where you are coming from, but it is not impossible for the RIGHT hire to turn things around immediately, especially with the talent we already have.

As for the medical redshirts, I think those went out the window after the ARMY game, not sure though.

Ya, and June Jones took SMU to a bowl game in year 2

Just amazing how some can't see that this will NEVER get better in it's current form. If not for the injuries, there would be other excuses made. Just simply amazing.

Let's try and remember that the injury bug really hit the hardest AFTER the Rice game, please.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

i don't because if rv does then he's going back on his word. yes, the injuries have sucked big old gorilla balls, but it is part of the game.

I am not replying to debate whether these injuries should affect the coach's status or how coaching decisions have gone in a game. What I want to say is I agree that injuries are part of the game, but not of this magnitude. Think Boise, TCU, Oregon, or anybody (insert your own team here) could go through the same thing we have the past few weeks, and still be in the BCS talk at the end of the season. Think if it happened to Middle or Troy, they would be in the Sun Belt mix as they are suppose to be. This is approaching record breaking numbers for a college team.

There are three winnable games for sure left, ULM, FIU and WKU. That would give Dodge 4 wins this season. Do 3 or 4 wins save Dodge his job, I think so.

I am on the Dodge bandwagon until the sixth loss. After going...what is it now, 6-35 over three and a half years, I just don't think there is ANY more room for excuses, even this amount of injuries.

EDIT: By the way, I think ULM, ASU, and WKU are the winnable games. If we beat FIU, I think its a pretty big upset.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I am on the Dodge bandwagon until the sixth loss. After going...what is it now, 6-35 over three and a half years, I just don't think there is ANY more room for excuses, even this amount of injuries.

EDIT: By the way, I think ULM, ASU, and WKU are the winnable games. If we beat FIU, I think its a pretty big upset.

Think about it. It'll be an upset if we beat FIU. They've only played FBS football since 2004. That's a sad testimonial to our current situation.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

So, we are going into the ASU game with:

-Starting a 4th string QB that has not practiced at the position this season until now.

-3rd string center starting the rest of the year

-Top 4 WR's out.

-Top wildcat QB and backup RB out.

-Both starting corners out.

IMO, there is no way that you can grade TD's performance based on W's and L's alone this season. I have NEVER seen anything like that at any level of football (outside of a loss of life disaster that Marshall had to deal with).

Having said that, I do NOT think that our coaches should get a mulligan on this season. Instead of the W/L record, which is a complete fantasy at this point, our coaches can still be graded on other factors:

For example:

-Does the team play with discipline (not to this point with the critical penalties) ?

-Do the same problems continue, even with health not being a factor ? (i.e. Special teams failures that continue).

-Has the coach lost the team despite the crazy injury situation ? (so far, I think TD has done a terrific job in this area).

It's enough to make your head spin. I can't imagine what must be going through Rick's mind right now.

P.S.-The Rice game also sticks out to me as a key measuring stick. As another poster mentioned, we were relatively healthy at that point.

Edited by akriesman

-Starting a 4th string QB that has not practiced at the position this season until now.

-Top 4 WR's out.

Did I miss something? When did Royce Hill go down? I swear I saw him commit two personal fouls on Saturday.

-Top 4 WR's out.

IMO, there is no way that you can grade TD's performance based on W's and L's alone this season. I have NEVER seen anything like that at any level of football (outside of a loss of life disaster that Marshall had to deal with).

Having said that, I do NOT think that our coaches should get a mulligan on this season. Instead of the W/L record, which is a complete fantasy at this point, our coaches can still be graded on other factors:

For example:

-Does the team play with discipline (not to this point with the critical penalties) ?

-Do the same problems continue, even with health not being a factor ? (i.e. Special teams failures that continue).

-Has the coach lost the team despite the crazy injury situation ? (so far, I think TD has done a terrific job in this area).

It's enough to make your head spin. I can't imagine what must be going through Rick's mind right now.

P.S.-The Rice game also sticks out to me as a key measuring stick. As another poster mentioned, we were relitively healthy at that point.

Baine has practiced at the position; just not with the starters. Two of the top 4 WRs are still reasonably fit at this time. Carey had a rough start due to reporting with a hand injury but is productive. Jamaal Jackson still starts. We also don't know the extent of Hamilton's injury. Other than that, there's no doubt that injuries have hit us harder than probably any other time in our history.

If Todd's career here was five or ten games under .500 then he might be considered for a do-over (based on the injury factor) but his record is so poor that the fans simply won't stand for it.

Last year should have been his breakthrough season. He lost six games by four or less points. In most cases he lost the lead late in the game. To me, it seems that this team (and last years') have the talent and the desire but are not coached to win.

Rick has to consider how the fans would react to another season with TD as head coach. If he does not win seven games I believe that it will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to sell even this year's amount of season tickets. What would happen to donations? Would they increase just because we have a new stadium? Maybe, but I'd guess not.

Edited by GrayEagle

-Top 4 WR's out.

For example:

P.S.-The Rice game also sticks out to me as a key measuring stick. As another poster mentioned, we were relatively healthy at that point.

Man, I really thought you were right there with the bolded part, but then you took another path.

Coach Dodge will not be judged on this season alone. He will be judged on the 4 season he has been here. The 1st two were completely and embarassingly non-competitve. The third was a 2 win campaign with a team Coach Dodge himself said should have won at least 5 games. If you have the talent to win games and don't accomplish that goal, where do you place the responsibility?

I know where I place the responsibillity.

• Upvote 1

Baine has practiced at the position; just not with the starters. Two of the top 4 WRs are still reasonably fit at this time. Carey had a rough start due to reporting with a hand injury but is productive. Jamaal Jackson still starts. We also don't know the extent of Hamilton's injury. Other than that, there's no doubt that injuries have hit us harder than probably any other time in our history.

If Todd's career here was five or ten games under .500 then he might be considered for a do-over (based on the injury factor) but his record is so poor that the fans simply won't stand for it.

Last year should have been his breakthrough season. He lost six games by four or less points. In most cases he lost the lead late in the game. To me, it seems that this team (and last years') have the talent and the desire but are not coached to win.

Rick has to consider how the fans would react to another season with TD as head coach. If he does not win seven games I believe that it will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to sell even this year's amount of season tickets. What would happen to donations? Would they increase just because we have a new stadium? Maybe, but I'd guess not.

Ditto...

Coach Dodge has followed the rules and made sure the players did too; Coach Dodge has not been insubordinate to any degree to our leaders at UNT; Coach Dodge has been a good ambassador for UNT wanting to lend a helping hand where he can (according to one I know very close to all this); but the old lack of the "W" thing will cause UNT officials to make a change IMO. Our UNT leaders are also in the PR business, too, and they want to jump-start this new football stadium with a program that would have had some semblance of momentum (which is not what we have now).

"IF" we were still that football program in that pathetic track/football stadium they call Fouts Field, TDodge might have gotten another season with even just 5 "W's" this year considering the worst injuries to a college football team I can remember since being a college football fan starting my young teenage years on the Gulf Coast of Texas when I was a Houston Cougar fan.

Ever had a job where the karma and leaders (bosses) at that job were not a good match for you and your personal skills? If not, you have been lucky, but most of us have had at least one of those kind of jobs. Coach Dodge will have a good future with a fresh new start elsewhere albeit many of us wanted last year and this year to be his solidifiers as our guy--it just was not mean't to be, folks.

GMG!

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Man, I really thought you were right there with the bolded part, but then you took another path.

Coach Dodge will not be judged on this season alone. He will be judged on the 4 season he has been here. The 1st two were completely and embarassingly non-competitve. The third was a 2 win campaign with a team Coach Dodge himself said should have won at least 5 games. If you have the talent to win games and don't accomplish that goal, where do you place the responsibility?

I know where I place the responsibillity.

Fair enough. Hopefully, with the next staff, we can build on what is taking place here and not try and start over. The latter is my biggest fear.