Direction Over The Next 4 Months

H-towngreen

I'd like to start this off by saying that I'm a huge TD fan. When he was hired I was fully on baord, even at the start of this season, heck even now. I think that he does done some great things for the program. Sadly I think most of them are off the field contributions. Either way I don't want this thread to be a TD bashing thread. I just have a few questions as to what you think the best route for RV to go over the next 4 months.

If you are RV at what point do you sit down with TD and say "Todd, I thank you for everything you've done. I think you're just one snakebit SOB, but we know what time it is. Good luck to you in the future." Do you do this now? After there is no way possible for TD to win 7 games? Or wait till after the season.

At what point do you hire your new coach? As soon as TD is let go? First day off the off season? As soon as the season ends for all teams so you can look at all possible coaches?

I think that this should be done at the point that there is not mathmatical way for TD to reach 7 wins. Put the interim title on Canales till the end of the season. While the season ends do 2 things. 1) Hope that Canales can turn the ship around and prove he has what it takes to lead the team in the future 2) Interview other prospects during that time frame. All of this in an effort to make sure that we have a coach lined up as soon as the season ends if not sooner. I don't want to see the new coach come in mid Jan and have no time to hire assistants and get the ball rolling on recruiting. Especially since there is that weird 30 day wait period that we have to hire a replacement.

• Upvote 1

RV absolutely has to wait until the 6th loss to fire Dodge. Any sooner and he will have no credibility with any of his current or future employees. Your word is your word. I trust RV already has a short list of coaching candidates ready to go and will be able to hit the ground running. That said, Dodge ain't done yet but the lady with the horns on her hat is warming up.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it matters when TD is fired...Either way there won't be a new coach until the season is over. I think RV is already on his coaching search and I wouldn't be surprised if his list is already narrowed to just a couple of guys at this point. He knows whats at stake next season so he wants to give his new staff every opportunity not to get behind in the recruiting trail etc. Although it is technically feasible that NT could win 7 games but let us seriously be real and admit that this thing is done.

I think that UNT has to post a job opening for a month as I recall after DD was let go. Don't know if that still stands or not at UNT but...

...TDodge will not publicly throw in the towel but mentally he wouldn't be normal if he hasn't already said in the back of his mind that, "this UNT gig is just not mean't to be."

"IF" we have to replace Dodge after he loses another and cannot reach 7 wins, then I think Rick V has to post a job posting thru the usual university channels and then start putting out feelers for a "name" coach. Folks, you just don't hire an assistant from a losing program and I hope UNT does not break that trend.

UNT needs a name coach more than any program I can think of; especially here in Texas and specifically in the DFW Metroplex. Name Coach + New Stadium can warp speed us into something we've not seen since the last time we had a name coach IMHO. We need to dominate the SBC, but we also need to go to the next level and beat some name OOC games, too. This will no longer be a "Fouts Field-laden" football program--the expectations from all across the board (including us, the fans) will naturally be higher when we cross the interstate into our new palace.

"IF" we need a new coach, UNT might have to get a name that we will be play a part of his own personal recycling of a career, but we have to get the attention of recruits and with the right name coach you can. Recruiting? This is where we are losing the games no matter how close they are--hardly a revelation. Which "name coach? Who knows but in the next few weeks I'm sure we will go another cycle on that, too, but maybe this time with some fresh new names.

We need a name coach who has the collegiate experience to win a good percentage of games because he has out-coached his opponent's HFC. We also need a name coach who will help us market the hell out of this new football palace that needs to average at least 25,000 per home game next Fall. This new stadium will get the attention of many out there who would fit the name coach criteria and I don't think he will have an empty cupboard of football talent when he gets to Denton.

I got to listen to the last part of the game after a DJ gig I had earlier this evening, and I just couldn't believe these young men had to go thru another heart-breaker, but 25 years from now when people look at career wins for UNT coaches, these close losses will not register in the online UNT football media guide as far as Todd Dodge's tenure in Denton is concerned. I am so sorry for TDodge as I (like many of you) think he is a class act who just has not been able to put all the pieces together in Denton. Just my .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

I think that UNT has to post a job opening for a month as I recall after DD was let go. Don't know if that still stands or not at UNT but...

...TDodge will not publicly throw in the towel but mentally he wouldn't be normal if he hasn't already said in the back of his mind that, "this UNT gig is just not mean't to be."

"IF" we have to replace Dodge after he loses another and cannot reach 7 wins, then I think Rick V has to post a job posting thru the usual university channels and then start putting out feelers for a "name" coach. Folks, you just don't hire an assistant from a losing program and I hope UNT does not break that trend.

UNT needs a name more than any program I can think of right now. especially here in Texas and specifically in the DFW Metrplex. Name Coach + New Stadium can warp speed us into something we've not seen since the last time we had a name coach.

"IF" we need a new coach, UNT might have to get a name that we will be play a part of his own personal recycling of a career, but we have to get the attention of recruits and with the right name coach you can. Recruiting? This is where we are losing the games no matter how close they are--hardly a revelation. Which "name coach? Who knows but in the next few weeks I'm sure we will go another cycle on that, too, but maybe this time with some fresh new names.

I got to listen to the last part of the game after a DJ gig I had earlier this evening, and I just couldn't believe these young men had to go thru another heart-breaker, but 25 years from now when people look at career wins for UNT coaches, these close losses will not show up in the online UNT football media guide for Dodge's tenure in Denton. I am so sorry for TDodge as I (like many of you) think he is a class act who just has not been able to put all the pieces together in Denton.

We need a name coach who has the collegiate experience to win a good percentage of games because he has out-coached his opponent's HFC. We also need a name coach who will help us market the hell out of this new football palace that needs to average at least 25,000 per home game next Fall. This new stadium will get the attention of many out there who would fit the name coach criteria and I don't think he will have an empty cupboard when he gets to Denton. Just my .02

GMG!

Also, we need someone with Texas ties. We shouldn't go after anyone without Texas ties.

I disagree with that strategy. A good coach and solid recruiter will be successful anywhere. Plus a good coach will hire a staff around him that will put themselves in a position to be successful. So to me don't look at whether he has Texas ties or not...ask the question is if he is a right coach for the program.

"IF" we need a new coach...

What name coach is out there like Schnellenbuger of FAU who might want to get back into coaching? Probably younger than Schnelly' was when he re-ignited his career. Someone who may also have a nest egg from his previous Big Time stops and is not going to be concerned so much with what UNT pays him but the personal challenge he would have of building a football program that just happens to have a new stadium in which to recruit toward? That combination could be intriguing to some of these kind of former success story coaches.

Coach Schnellenburger was not a good fit at OU. Coach Fran was not a good fit at TAMU; in fact, who would be in College Station? How long has it been for any coach at TAMU to use all those resources but didn't?

UNT might go after somebody (not necessary Coach Fran) who didn't fit somewhere else. Coach Fran's son would be a major college project and I don't think UNT needs that for this moment in time--I think we just had a project. Anyway, what coach out there that was not a good fit for their previous job but might be just what the doctor ordered for North Texas?

Anyone know of other such coaches names that might fit this criteria? Many may laugh, but how old is Barry Switzer? He was actually said to have inquired about our job after Dennis Parker was fired. He was tired of sitting on his sofa in Norman from what many heard--well, Jerry Jones finally got him off that sofa.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm not certain that Dodge will be fired. He could just be reassigned since he has another year on his contract. Todd has been a good ambassador for North Texas; he just can't win.

That way, it wouldn't matter whether you hired the new coach early or late. Or, if you allowed an interim coach to finish the season since Todd would just be reassigned.

I'm not certain that Dodge will be fired. He could just be reassigned since he has another year on his contract. Todd has been a good ambassador for North Texas; he just can't win.

That way, it wouldn't matter whether you hired the new coach early or late. Or, if you allowed an interim coach to finish the season since Todd would just be reassigned.

Would Todd swallow his pride and stay on as QB coach?

I would be on board with Dodge staying on in an off the field position. He has done alot for the program, but like it was stated, they seemto be off the field contributions.

That said, I would LOVE it if we could get Jim Leavitt. The guy took a startup USF program and got them into a BcS conference.

I don't think it matters when TD is fired...Either way there won't be a new coach until the season is over. I think RV is already on his coaching search and I wouldn't be surprised if his list is already narrowed to just a couple of guys at this point. He knows whats at stake next season so he wants to give his new staff every opportunity not to get behind in the recruiting trail etc. Although it is technically feasible that NT could win 7 games but let us seriously be real and admit that this thing is done.

I think he RV has been looking for the past 6-8 mo.

A head football coach has a big ego. They have to in order to be successful at any level. If Dodge is reassigned, I would bet a large sum of money that he resigns.

Todd Dodge will resign. I think the death of Josh finally took whatever was left in the tank. And on the radio show last night, I did not sense any fire left. I mean talk about bad luck, and yes, a lot of his own making. But the results of the past few seasons, the ultimatum of 7 wins, 15 injuries, installing for the most part a new offense, and the record so for. I would have to wonder why Dodge would want to stay.

• Upvote 1

Todd Dodge will resign. I think the death of Josh finally took whatever was left in the tank. And on the radio show last night, I did not sense any fire left. I mean talk about bad luck, and yes, a lot o so for. I would have to wonder why Dodge would want to stay.

I don't know, work ethic and commitment to a cause or something. But he'd have to produce while he stayed. The worst part of his time at coach isn't the losses, it's fact that so many of them were so close and due to poor discipline, needless penalties, or mental mistakes. I think we have the players to be successful but I don't think that we have the coaches to lead them, not as a whole anyways.