The Dodge Train

eulesseagle

I am on the "Dodge Train."

Always have been.

I believe the FAU game demonstrated that Coach DeLoach has put together a very very good "Defense." The post game interview stated that DeLoach said it was "OLD STYLE" defense. I thought he had put together a pretty good defense around a bunch a really good players. Now it is going to be up to the "OLD STYLE" "D" guys to keep playing how they played against FAU.

Coach Dodge gave Coach Canales a great deal of praise how he had worked with QB Riley Dodge and his game plan.

Our running backs gave the "O" line just about all the effort last night.

Even with about a dozen players out for the year or so last night gave me some more hope that the back ups are really pretty good players and that NT may be deeper than what we, as fans, think.

For those who jumped off the train the last couple of weeks good to have you back on the train. You are either on or off the train.....just pick one for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 34

I've stayed on the train for years and the conductor will have to kick me off. He will find where I'm hiding and make me jump when he can no longer make it to the Seven Win Station.

Edited by EagleMBA

I am on the "Dodge Train."

Always have been.

I believe the FAU game demonstrated that Coach DeLoach has put together a very very good "Defense." The post game interview stated that DeLoach said it was "OLD STYLE" defense. I thought he had put together a pretty good defense around a bunch a really good players. Now it is going to be up to the "OLD STYLE" "D" guys to keep playing how they played against FAU.

Coach Dodge gave Coach Canales a great deal of praise how he had worked with QB Riley Dodge and his game plan.

Our running backs gave the "O" line just about all the effort last night.

Even with about a dozen players out for the year or so last night gave me some more hope that the back ups are really pretty good players and that NT may be deeper than what we, as fans, think.

For those who jumped off the train the last couple of weeks good to have you back on the train. You are either on or off the train.....just pick one for the rest of the season.

The win was great. It was important. But it was one win. We don't get to count it more then once in the win column. I hope it's the start of a streak, but it's not one right now. I think it's a little early to start making train analogies. Let focus on one game at a time. We should all enjoy this victory. But I also don't think we should act like it was the Superbowl.

Agree on the tap the brakes sentiment. I predicted we'd blow out FAU because they were had so much inexperience all around coming into the season. We scraped by them. At 100% healthy, we'd have beaten them by 20 or more.

I'm happy with the win. But, FAU was not going to be a Sun Belt contender in 2010. They are in a rebuilding year, at best. Which is sad, considering they only went 5-7 with a senior-laden team in 2009.

As stated before, part of the reason I believed we'd win 9 or 10 this year was that so many Sun Belt teams lost alot off their rosters. Our injuries now match about what many of them lost. And, next year, we'll be in the same boat experience-wise that they are in this year.

Wins that I once thought would be easy - FAU, ULL, ASU - are going to be grinders. Hopefully, Canales continues the 50/15 run/pass ratio. The Darrell Dickey-like offense works in these circumstances.

I still say the last stop is around week 8.

I do not know if it will or won't be, but I do know that one victory over a Sun Belt team does not constitute a major turnaround or performance the the level even a mediocre program expects of a fourth year coach. If we see five or six more of those then I would be willing to hop on the train.

Until then, congratulations on the win to both the players and the coaches.

I'm amused at the people on this board that predict that we win 90% of the games we play and basically say "I told you so" when we win the few that we have. They fail to realize that they are wrong the majority of the time.

Nonetheless, this win is a breath of fresh air for us all. Something finally went right for the Mean Green. Let us not be overly zealous though and keep expectations high, hoping that this is one of many more this year. Just because we squeeze this one out, Dodge should not be even close to off the hook and neither should RV... especially with such a bogus/waste of paper report that came out this week.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Welch,

I think people just want to be happy for a change. We all understand the overall picture. But, there is a silver lining. We now have an offensive coordinator who is tailoring the game plan to the players he has week-to-week instead of insisting the we run the spread come hell or high water as in year's past.

If Canales keeps planning and coaching us to our strengths, we could break even or do better in the Belt. Remember, Dodge is no longer coaching the QB, drawing up the game plan or calling the shots. That in and of itself had many of us believe, pre-injuries, that this thing could be bowl worthy.

With the injuries, and with Canales doing what he did yesterday, we could still do well in conference. And, to me and others, we'll take that improvement and look forward to 2011.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for the reply.

I like to try and keep things realistic. I believe that we have much hope in realistic thought. Sometimes it just sounds bland at best. But I understand and I am not trying to "steal" anyone's happiness. We have a reason to be happy this week and a reason to celebrate! I do hope that this change in the coaching logistics will continue to carry though to the field like we saw yesterday.

I'm amused at the people on this board that predict that we win 90% of the games we play and basically say "I told you so" when we win the few that we have. They fail to realize that they are wrong the majority of the time.

Nonetheless, this win is a breath of fresh air for us all. Something finally went right for the Mean Green. Let us not be overly zealous though and keep expectations high, hoping that this is one of many more this year. Just because we squeeze this one out, Dodge should not be even close to off the hook and neither should RV... especially with such a bogus/waste of paper report that came out this week.

I agree with most of your post.

However, you are falsely attributing the Report that Lane Rawlins asked his colleague to produce for UNT administrators to RV.

Welch,

I think people just want to be happy for a change. We all understand the overall picture. But, there is a silver lining. We now have an offensive coordinator who is tailoring the game plan to the players he has week-to-week instead of insisting the we run the spread come hell or high water as in year's past.

If Canales keeps planning and coaching us to our strengths, we could break even or do better in the Belt. Remember, Dodge is no longer coaching the QB, drawing up the game plan or calling the shots. That in and of itself had many of us believe, pre-injuries, that this thing could be bowl worthy.

With the injuries, and with Canales doing what he did yesterday, we could still do well in conference. And, to me and others, we'll take that improvement and look forward to 2011.

+1. What he said.

• Downvote 1

I agree with most of your post.

However, you are falsely attributing the Report that Lane Rawlins asked his colleague to produce for UNT administrators to RV.

I should have clarified what I meant. I did not credit RV with assigning the report, yet I meant that the report should not have changed the outlook of his job because all it did is repeat stuff that he should have known.

Yep. If Dodge can pull a team together that has this much going against it and win on the road, he can win when he gets/keeps all of his tools in place for an entire season! He is the man for the future, I am completely convinced. He is a great match for what this program needs at this point in time. We need stability and a coach who can build foundation for a strong program for the long-haul. Stop the coaching marry-go-round that NT has had over the years and BUILD something. Now is the time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10