Full Neinas Report

Brett Vito

Why should we spend $500,000.00 promoting/advertising our new stadium when about a million cars per week drive by the facility. All we need to do is put up a large sign that says "NEW HOME OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN".

:thumbsup:

Not sure what we were expecting from Neinas today and I think I was even hoping for at least one earth-shattering suggestion, but I'd sure like UNT to keep him in our corner and on our side for future reference.

One day Neinas' influence may actually help us improve our athletic lot in life and conference placement. When he was with CUSA and had we already had what we will have by this time next year, he could have very well gone back to the CUSA powers that be and said....Fellers! UNT will bring much to the table and bring many, many, many more traveling fans than some of the traditionals in the league. They also have some of the hottest looking chicks this side of Chicago's Playboy Mansion! :wacko::w00t::clapping:

GMG!

Wow, that was bad. I don't know who hired this guy as a consultant, but if it was RV, then I am extremely worried about our ADs ability to hire the next football coach. If it wasn't RV, then I am going to assume that RV is banging his head against the wall, as that was money he could have used toward expenses in the AD. Extremely underwhelming.

I just don't understand what this was supposed to do for us. We are all excited about building this new stadium, but I am still of the belief that we aren't really all that serious about sports here at UNT. I am coming around to the understanding that the SBC, for many different reasons, is just going to be our home for years to come, even though it will never be a place that will encourage extra attention from fans or the media in the area. I just don't see how we are ever going to get this thing (athletics) turned around here in Denton. We talk about if we have a winner, then the support will follow. Well, we had a winner in football during the early years of the decade and attendance was less than now. Meanwhile, men's hoops starts winning and going to the NCAA Tournament, but we see nothing close to improvement in attendance that you would expect from the depths of the Trilli years to JJ's tenure. I know that our fanbase is frustrated beyond all belief, but this type of report does the exact opposite of what we were hoping to read. To me, it just reiterates that our university doesn't really care if athletics builds upward or not, which seems so ironic since we are finally building a new stadium. I just think we will know our answer for sure if we hire some no-name coach in football for $275K after this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like that it emphases a successful athletic program is very important particularly Football to a University and the need to increase the budget 5-6 million dollars immediately. So you need better program I recommend you better pay for it.

Lets get a high profile coach folks.

Neinas should be ashamed of himself. It is painful to read. References, meaningful suggestions, plan of action? All missing in action.

Can someone verify this did indeed cost $250,000? If so, there needs to be an investigation.

Or...suprisee twist alert...Chuck Neinas = Tobi Writes?

• Upvote 4

Neinas should be ashamed of himself. It is painful to read. References, meaningful suggestions, plan of action? All missing in action.

Can someone verify this did indeed cost $250,000? If so, there needs to be an investigation.

No No No ...there is no way this cost 250k. His take in for being a coach recruiter is 35k (but negotiates) and that is far more time consuming.

bobs.jpg

I would have to agree that that is one of the least informative pieces of consulting work I have ever seen. Hopefully they got something else that is not being shared. Perhaps this is something that was needed to get more funding approved. otherwise I see no purpose in what was presented.

At first I thought I hadn't downloaded the entire report.

On the positive side, things that we thought were true have been verified by a well-qualified, unbiased source. I really hope there was a lot in the verbal presentation that didn't make it into the written report. No, I hope there was a verbal presentation with material that didn't make it into the written report.

It makes me wonder if RV hasn't been screaming these things at the BOR and LJ and needed an independent report to back him up to create some change.

The report itself is extremely underwhelming.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

But Chuck Neinas is THE expert on hiring college coaches. From what I've read, there is no better guy. Don't forget Neinas is the one who CUSA hired to decide between UTEP, La Tech and us. I think the confidential report to them was a bit more substantial.

I'm sure this was not a quarter million dollar report - there is just no possibility of that.

Edited by VideoEagle

But Chuck Neinas is THE expert on hiring college coaches. From what I've read, there is no better guy. Don't forget Neinas is the one who CUSA hired to decide between UTEP, La Tech and us. I think the confidential report to them was a bit more substantial.

I'm sure this was not a quarter million dollar report - there is just no possibility of that.

Yes, be nice to Chuck Neinas.

He really does have skins on the wall and many on this board knew that before he was even involved with CUSA and FWIW..........UNT needs many kinds of friends with this guy's stature among the power hitters in the NCAA.

You know, sometimes its like the old adage of its not what you know but... :unsure:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I bet you are right, at least I hope so.

This is likely more of a light summary, the real deal might have recommendations of coach terminations and and other things best not aired publicly.

I agree that if we can't cut it in the SBC we have no business moving to a more competitive conference. Return to consistently being the conference badass and we will get considered the next time there is a vacancy elsewhere. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!

I wanted to scream that no one bothered to tell him the reason for low basketball attendance is the damned tipoff time. You are either going to have to market the hell out of all areas north of the lake or go to a later tip. You would draw 500 - 1,000 more for every game just by moving to a 7:35 p.m. tipoff. Those of us living in Dallas, Richardson, Garland, etc. won't even attempt that harrowing drive up 35 any more during the week. A simple change, well publicized, would bring big results for weekday games.

Overall, I concur that the public report was underwhelming.

Side Note: I keep cheering on the transit rail construction every time I make the drive. If the transit folks were smart enough to include a UNT spur in their plans, I can see myself taking the train to games in several years.

Edited by EagleMBA

I bet you are right, at least I hope so.

This is likely more of a light summary, the real deal might have recommendations of coach terminations and and other things best not aired publicly.

I agree, Tony, I think the value of Neinas for UNT is what he is not reporting publicly on that report. I have no idea how much UNT paid him for the time he was briefly on our payroll as a consultant. He would be one of the highest paid ones in the NCAA from all accounts.

North Texas has apparently made a friend with him and even his telephone counsel will soon be invaluable I'd wager. He seems sincerely impressed with what we're doing and I don't think he is one to blow a lot of smoke, either. After all, he does have an apparent reputation to maintain and aimless B.S. would not be part of it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We got compared with Akron quite a few times.... so I wanted to see what their stadium opener looked like. Question? Does that school not have school colors? Look at the crowd!

Akron Opening Day

Attendance (for Akron) started with 27,881 the followed with this:

18,340 (after winning the last one)

Is that scary or what? I mean...I get that being 3-9 is disheartening but we are 5-34 since 07 and still can put up almost 24k at ole Fouts Field? To end the year with your new stadium with only 10k in the stands is embarrassing.

How about this: Can we at least all agree for that for any amount of money Chuck would be well advised to farm the final report out to someone who does this kind of thing professionally? Whether he got $10,000 or $250,000, this is bad. It's worse at $250,000, but it's still bad at $10,000. The baseline for any public document ought to be something better than what I could produce in one afternoon of Google, Word, and Excel while sitting on my couch in my underwear.

If you're reading this, Chuck, holler at me! I'd knock this out of the park!