R.c. Slocum Anyone?

RETSO

He has Texas ties and is a proven winner. I know it comes down to cash and he is 66 yrs old, but besides that why not?

No, too old and too much Aggie Cult in him.

No to Sherman also after he gets fired at the end of this season (would have happened this week if FIU had held onto 20-6 lead).

Coach Fran is about the only one with Aggie time I'd consider.

Edited by NT80

No to R.C. and more research on Franchione. His present situation may be to our advantage. He has enough money from severance pay on recent jobs to where he might want to pay UNT to coach here. :lol: If Coach Fran showed interest, we'd almost need UNT alum Dr. Phil to interrogate this guy to see whats really inside his mind that's made him lose his upwardly bound direction in his last 2 unsuccessful jobs. Fact is, UNT could be the perfect match for Dennis Franchione while others recent stops were not but with some of these coach's types out there......To Whom Do You Trust? :o

FOR EXAMPLE: Ex UNT AD Steve Sloan swore up and down to a hiring committee at UNT that he would not do his traditional short stay or quick version of a Texas 2-step and then leave Denton. While in Denton, he did get his golf game sharpened but he still left Denton in what turned out to be another short tenured job for Sloan.

Dennis was said to have wanted the UNT job badly when he was at TSU-SM before we of UNT worked our magic with that great Dennis Parker hire.

Trust me, this new stadium is going to be a tremendous magnet toward drawing a higher breed of those applying for our HFC's job in Mean Green Country; that is, if we need to hire a coach after this season.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

No, too old and too much Aggie Cult in him.

No to Sherman also after he gets fired at the end of this season (would have happened this week if FIU had held onto 20-6 lead).

Coach Fran is about the only one with Aggie time I'd consider.

Coach Fran is a lazy ass too. Must have gotten lucky with TCU. If you want a Franchione, get his son. He's done really good with Blinn College from what I hear. But then again, the transition may suck like it did with TD. No Aggie coaches. They've sucked in the recent past and we don't want their dregs.

• Downvote 1

Slocum wouldn't.... Fran I wouldn't want.... Leach... would He or could we afford him ??

Dodge started poorly with assistants that didn't understand the college game.... he has never recovered and doubt his players believe in him... he will be gone when season ends.

Franchione is a job-hopping whore.

No to both.

Anybody that takes this job and becomes successful here will bolt us just like all the other schools in lower conferences. At this point all we need is wins. So you wouldn't want Slocum(I agree) nor Franchione....so what kind of guy do you want or are expecting? I think the leash is very short here in getting an unproven commodity here and if that guy fails then the program could be in serious jeopary with the fan base. I personally think Fran would be an awesome hire.

I am praying for a miracle and don't want to really think about the possible change just yet.

Thinking generally, I would hope we found someone with a fire in the belly and skins on the wall who would make a five-year commitment and honor it. I agree with GreenMean that the reality is, with a demonstrated turnaround, the coach would move higher on the food chain. I would just ask that he stay long enough to learn some of our names.

• Upvote 1

mike_leach.jpg

--- I know a lot of people here didn't like him but he was very popular out here in West Texas.... He was a bit odd but interesting and the games were too. TxTech games are rather boring now that he is gone. Last week they produced the fewest yards since 1990...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

No, I think this is going to take somebody younger. Besides, RC is employed at A&M, and is probably being treated like a king given the results the Aggies have had since his departure. I don't like Leach, as defense was always an issue at Tech until the last couple of seasons. And remember, he did have try outs for kicker after a game. Worked out pretty well, but shows that special teams had been overlooked. Sound familiar?

We need a CEO type in here, not a guru on either side of the ball who won't let his coordinators run the show, especially when its to late.

Coach Fran is a lazy ass too. Must have gotten lucky with TCU. If you want a Franchione, get his son. He's done really good with Blinn College from what I hear. But then again, the transition may suck like it did with TD. No Aggie coaches. They've sucked in the recent past and we don't want their dregs.

yea some lazy ass get a clue

even discounting what he did in his early years because it was at smaller programs

TxState was never known for having a winning program at the D1-AA level and still is not and not consistently for sure

New Mexico is a coaching deathbed and the fact he got them to 9-3 is amazing

TCU was horrible when he took them over

Bama he had a drop off from Stallings, but he took over for a legend and most coaches don't just walk into the SEC and have success their first year (see Sabans 7-5) and 10-3 in the SEC and a number 11 ranking to end the season at a program that was in horrible shape and surrounded by controversy and lying to their coach about it the whole way is hardly the record of a lazy ass

TAMU was really his one bad time of coaching and they seem to have a curse on them since Slocum was let go and the fans had turned on Fran pretty much after the first year right when Mack Brown was catching fire and Stoops was at teh top of his game and that is a great way to destroy recruiting and he still had a 9-3 season there while the fans called for his head and he was still 3-2 Vs Texas

the ignorance shown by the fans of a program that has sniffed little if any real success in 100+ years of football towards people that have documented success is laughable and just another reason those fans don't have a clue what it takes to actually have some success much less longer term success

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°

Southwestern College Moundbuilders (NAIA) (Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference) (1981–1982)

1981 Southwestern College 5–2–2 5–2–2 2nd

1982 Southwestern College 9–2–0 8–1–0 1st W Sunflower

Southwestern College (NAIA): 14–4–2 13–3–2

Pittsburg State Gorillas (NAIA) (Central States Intercollegiate Conference) (1985–1988)

1985 Pittsburg State 8–2 6–1 1st Quarterfinals NAIA Playoffs

1986 Pittsburg State 11–1 7–0 1st Semifinals NAIA Playoffs

1987 Pittsburg State 11–1 7–0 1st Semifinals NAIA Playoffs

1988 Pittsburg State 11–1 7–0 1st Semifinals NAIA Playoffs

Pittsburg State (NAIA): 41–5 27–1

Pittsburg State Gorillas (Div. II) (Missouri Intercollegiate Athletic Association) (1989–1989)

1989 Pittsburg State 12–1 10–0 1st Quarterfinals DII playoffs

Pittsburg State (DII): 12–1 10–0

Southwest Texas State Bobcats (Div. I-AA) (Southland Conference) (1990–1991)

1990 Southwest Texas State 6–5 2–3 3rd

1991 Southwest Texas State 7–4 4–3 4th

Southwest Texas State (Div. I-AA): 13–9 6–6

New Mexico Lobos (Western Athletic Conference) (1992–1997)

1992 New Mexico 3–8 2–6 9th

1993 New Mexico 6–5 4–4 6th

1994 New Mexico 5–7 4–4 5th

1995 New Mexico 4–7 2–6 7th

1996 New Mexico 6–5 3–5 7th (Pacific)

1997 New Mexico 9–4 6–2 1st (Pacific) L Insight.com

New Mexico: 33–36 21–27

TCU Horned Frogs (Western Athletic Conference) (1998–2000)

1998 TCU 7–5 4–4 5th W Sun

1999 TCU 8–4 5–2 T–1st W Mobile Alabama

2000 TCU 10–1 7–1 T–1st L Mobile Alabama

Bowl coached by Gary Patterson 18 21

TCU: 25–10 16–7

Alabama Crimson Tide (Southeastern Conference) (2001–2002)

2001 Alabama 7–5 4–4 3rd (West) W Independence

2002 Alabama 10–3 6–2 1st (West)) Ineligible 11

Alabama: 17–8 10–6

Texas A&M Aggies (Big 12 Conference) (2003–2007)

2003 Texas A&M 4–8 2–6 5th (South)

2004 Texas A&M 7–5 5–3 3rd (South) L 38–7 Cotton

2005 Texas A&M 5–6 3–5 4th (South)

2006 Texas A&M 9–4 5–3 3rd (South) L 45–10 Holiday

2007 Texas A&M 7–5 4–4 4th (South) L 24–17 Alamo

Bowl coached by Gary Darnell

Texas A&M: 32–28 19–21

Source:[49]

Total: 187–101–2

(107–81 Div. I)

• Upvote 1

real nice mr. expert

yea it is much easier to be an "expert" and call a coach that has a winning record at just about every place he has coached including several that were in horrible shape before he started there a "lazy ass"

just like people on this forum full of experts pretend that Larry Coker that never had a losing season, only had a single season of less than 9-3 and won a MNC and had teams in the top 20 5 out of 6 seasons and had teams in the top 5 three out of 6 seasons and he did that while moving from one of the worst AQ D1-A conferences to one that was much better and much tougher

but hey he is not at UNT and he is at UTSA so he was a loser that won with someone else's recruits, (as if everyone just lucks into the MNC or the top 5 three years in a row), no one besides UNT wanted him, and he will always suck

meanwhile your fans are trying to discuss a way to cut your high school coach some slack after going 5-34 so far with wins over D1-AA programs for most of them and maybe keeping him yet another year

experts indeed :lol::rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

there you go. now your true colors are showing, mr. troll.

extremely persuasive use of the word troll.....often used by those that can't disprove what is presented

and yes every fan forum should only be filled with those that pump the sunshine pump because that has worked so well for UNT and this forum

25 regular posters pumping the sunshine pump and 500 posters banned for trying to state the obvious

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Slocum or Fran* actually contacted UNT/RV wanting the job and got the cold shoulder. Regardless of their presupposed mentality, I'm pretty sure we'd be better off four years later with one of them than we are with the high school coach.

*could be another "been there, done that, had success" coach, but those names are sticking in my head.

yea it is much easier to be an "expert" and call a coach that has a winning record at just about every place he has coached including several that were in horrible shape before he started there a "lazy ass"

just like people on this forum full of experts pretend that Larry Coker that never had a losing season, only had a single season of less than 9-3 and won a MNC and had teams in the top 20 5 out of 6 seasons and had teams in the top 5 three out of 6 seasons and he did that while moving from one of the worst AQ D1-A conferences to one that was much better and much tougher

but hey he is not at UNT and he is at UTSA so he was a loser that won with someone else's recruits, (as if everyone just lucks into the MNC or the top 5 three years in a row), no one besides UNT wanted him, and he will always suck

meanwhile your fans are trying to discuss a way to cut your high school coach some slack after going 5-34 so far with wins over D1-AA programs for most of them and maybe keeping him yet another year

experts indeed :lol::rolleyes:

Don't you think there is a reason he got beat out at UNLV (by Bobby Hauck, who had a whopping 0 wins as an FBS coach, although an impressive career in FCS) and SDSU (by Brady Hoke, with a whopping 34-38 head coaching record at the time) in recent years for head coaching gigs? Don't get me wrong, he would be in my top 5, barely, but not my overall choice. Obviously there has to be something keeping him from getting another gig. If only we knew the whole story.

Edited by UNT90