Dodge, Unt Players Say They Still Have Something Left

Brett Vito

I am sorry...I hate to keep saying it over and over, but I was there...and these players flat out gave up before the game even started. Whether it is because they do not have faith in this coaching staff (or maybe just HC?) I do not know. Why are we supposed to believe they will "turn it around" when they showed NOTHING in that game at Army?

Seriously...they looked REALLY, REALLY bad at Army...

• Upvote 1

"Lance Dunbar finished with 42 rushing yards after clearing the 100-yard mark in each of the Mean Green’s first two games — not that he had much of a chance on a day he carried the ball just 12 times."

Why would you only get the ball to him 12 times? They have GOT to give him the ball more this next game.

NC,

I was there also...I can't paint the broad brush of the team giving up before the game even started. If so, that says much more about the players than the coaches. I don't care who your "boss" is, you have to take responsibilty for yourself in doing your job. You control what you can control, you give all you have and let the rest take care of itself. THEY may have looked bad there, but I saw GUYS that gave it all, and all the way to the end.

I WAS disturbed by a "give up" I saw by a particular individual chasing down an Army player to the north end zone. I was in the south end zone, so I may have missed the reason why but this guy looked like, from my angle, that he was out for a jog way before the play was over. Can't recall the number so I won't disparage without the facts.

On the bright side, I met Micah Mosley briefly at our hotel (and his dad again, as well as at ULL last year). Even in a brief introduction, when you see these kids and parents, it is obvious they care. It is clear they have skins in the game. Micah is another outstanding representative of the university...I am proud for him and his family.

GMG

• Upvote 1

"Lance Dunbar finished with 42 rushing yards after clearing the 100-yard mark in each of the Mean Green's first two games — not that he had much of a chance on a day he carried the ball just 12 times."

Why would you only get the ball to him 12 times? They have GOT to give him the ball more this next game.

While the thought of Dunbar only getting 12 rushes looks bad, we have to look at the context of it. He had a total of 17 touches for the game. The offense ran a much smaller amount of plays (58) compared to the first two games (83 & 72). But in each of the games, the offense has gone through him 30% of the time. 30.1% @ Clemson, 29.1% v. Rice and 29.3% @ Army.

Add in that he was struggling to get yards and we were playing from behind, I can understand him only rushing 12 times. In reality though, he got what the offense averages for him. He would of gotten more if we had moved the ball better. Not singling you out Mrs., a lot of people share you sentiment, but the moaning about the OC (or the HC if you ask some) not getting him the ball enough is somewhat misguided.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While the thought of Dunbar only getting 12 rushes looks bad, we have to look at the context of it. He had a total of 17 touches for the game. The offense ran a much smaller amount of plays (58) compared to the first two games (83 & 72). But in each of the games, the offense has gone through him 30% of the time. 30.1% @ Clemson, 29.1% v. Rice and 29.3% @ Army.

Add in that he was struggling to get yards and we were playing from behind, I can understand him only rushing 12 times. In reality though, he got what the offense averages for him. He would of gotten more if we had moved the ball better. Not singling you out Mrs., a lot of people share you sentiment, but the moaning about the OC (or the HC if you ask some) not getting him the ball enough is somewhat misguided.

True.

And, beyond being true, it sadly shows the state of our offense for the remainder of the year. Injuries and mistakes at QB put us behind the eight ball in this one, forcing us to give up the run.

For the remainder of the season, we will not be fielding a QB that opposing defenses will have to fear. Thus, we'll see a bunch of 8 in the box facing Dunbar. Dunbar is going to get some long gains, but there will be fewer than last season.

So, please, with that reality in mind:

(1) Don't be upset/surprised when Dunbar doesn't go over 100 yard in games

(2) Don't be upset/surprised at the offensive coordinator for not running the ball when we are down by two or more touchdowns.

True.

And, beyond being true, it sadly shows the state of our offense for the remainder of the year. Injuries and mistakes at QB put us behind the eight ball in this one, forcing us to give up the run.

For the remainder of the season, we will not be fielding a QB that opposing defenses will have to fear. Thus, we'll see a bunch of 8 in the box facing Dunbar. Dunbar is going to get some long gains, but there will be fewer than last season.

So, please, with that reality in mind:

(1) Don't be upset/surprised when Dunbar doesn't go over 100 yard in games

(2) Don't be upset/surprised at the offensive coordinator for not running the ball when we are down by two or more touchdowns.

For some reason though, Riley seems to be the guy that opposing defenses know and fear. I suppose if he gets off to a good start, there is room for optimism, but with so much attention on him, and his inability to throw, that fear should turn into confidence by the 2nd quarter. Remember, last year we gave FAU a heckuva game and almost won. I think they'll have a healthy respect for Riley until the realize that his arm is broken.

"Lance Dunbar finished with 42 rushing yards after clearing the 100-yard mark in each of the Mean Green's first two games — not that he had much of a chance on a day he carried the ball just 12 times."

TD stated that once we were down by 14 points, he had to go in a different direction offensively.

Soooo...the answer was simple: DO NOT GIVE THE BALL TO ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACKS IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

Although Lance's longest run of the game was called back by a holding call...it was a beautiful run. I am fairly confident that Lance Dunbar knows what he is doing, and is very capable.

So capable that when we are down and need some points, Todd Dodge decides to.....NOT GIVE HIM THE ROCK!!! :angry::angry::angry::(:angry::o:angry::blink::angry::unsure::angry:

So, anybody still thinks he knows what he is doing??

TD stated that once we were down by 14 points, he had to go in a different direction offensively.

Soooo...the answer was simple: DO NOT GIVE THE BALL TO ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACKS IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

Although Lance's longest run of the game was called back by a holding call...it was a beautiful run. I am fairly confident that Lance Dunbar knows what he is doing, and is very capable.

So capable that when we are down and need some points, Todd Dodge decides to.....NOT GIVE HIM THE ROCK!!! :angry::angry::angry::(:angry::o:angry::blink::angry::unsure::angry:

I guess I am in your camp on this one. Fine, you need to go in a different direction, then why is Riley running the football? But EVEN if you go in a different direction down 14, 1) the game is not so far out of reach for the best player on your team and 2) you only give it to him 5 times in the second half?

Are you sure it wasn't Canales calling those plays?

Texas Tech seemed to run an offense that was all short passes and they did it well. I remember them tearing us apart running that dink pass to the outside and churning up yards.

A glaring problem on saturday is that the coaches were not prepared for a game plan around Riley. The coaches were down to 1 prepared QB. They had a week to get a second person some practice and be prepared for it. What was their plan for next year when Tune was gone. That should have been their number 2. It was all panic mode when Thompson went down.

I'm interested to see what happens this saturday and see what Canales brings to the table this week. If they start stacking 8 in the box, you don't need long deep passes to burn a defense. The one thing we seem to have is some fast kids. We'll see if Canales was the hire we thought he would be ... can he adjust.

Riley never was able to bring the deep ball and now it appears with his injuries to his arm, he won't have much zing in his mid range passes. But, the kid is an athlete and still brings some weapons. He can run and we shouldn't have to worry about INTs :). Canales was excited to game plan around Riley when he got here. Now he's got his chance.

I'm trying to get out of the doom and gloom that we are dead in the water with our #1 and #2 qbs out and the other injuries. With the speed and playmaking ability of Dunbar, Hamilton, and Dodge in the back field and the speed of Stradford, Jackson and the other WRs ... you can game plan around that. Plenty of ways to get redirection. I don't see how you do any of this without truly utilizing tight ends.

Then again, just may have to crack open that case early this saturday ...

Texas Tech seemed to run an offense that was all short passes and they did it well. I remember them tearing us apart running that dink pass to the outside and churning up yards.

A glaring problem on saturday is that the coaches were not prepared for a game plan around Riley. The coaches were down to 1 prepared QB. They had a week to get a second person some practice and be prepared for it. What was their plan for next year when Tune was gone. That should have been their number 2. It was all panic mode when Thompson went down.

I'm interested to see what happens this saturday and see what Canales brings to the table this week. If they start stacking 8 in the box, you don't need long deep passes to burn a defense. The one thing we seem to have is some fast kids. We'll see if Canales was the hire we thought he would be ... can he adjust.

Riley never was able to bring the deep ball and now it appears with his injuries to his arm, he won't have much zing in his mid range passes. But, the kid is an athlete and still brings some weapons. He can run and we shouldn't have to worry about INTs :). Canales was excited to game plan around Riley when he got here. Now he's got his chance.

I'm trying to get out of the doom and gloom that we are dead in the water with our #1 and #2 qbs out and the other injuries. With the speed and playmaking ability of Dunbar, Hamilton, and Dodge in the back field and the speed of Stradford, Jackson and the other WRs ... you can game plan around that. Plenty of ways to get redirection. I don't see how you do any of this without truly utilizing tight ends.

Then again, just may have to crack open that case early this saturday ...

And this is why he may not be retained if we get a new HC....he has to realize by now that the dream he had of a healthy 2007 Riley is not what we currently have take to the field.

Edited by All About UNT

Well, this team had better get out their Tony Robbins or Zig Ziglars, get motivated, and eat their wheaties Saturday morning. Because if there is one coach on the opposing sideline that will not have any sympathy for us, it will be Howard Schnellenberger. Probably mispelled his name there, but he is the typical tough guy of old school football.

Well, this team had better get out their Tony Robbins or Zig Ziglars, get motivated, and eat their wheaties Saturday morning. Because if there is one coach on the opposing sideline that will not have any sympathy for us, it will be Howard Schnellenberger. Probably mispelled his name there, but he is the typical tough guy of old school football.

Captain Kangaroo is correct spelling.

I hope he takes it easy on Mr Greenjeans this week.