Overdue?

OwlFamily

Good Morning Mean Green!

First off, let me say Im shocked by the number of season ending injuries you guys have had. I dont know if there is a reason for it or not but its just crazy. Speedy recovery to your players.

I've felt that UNT is overdue for a win against FAU now for 2 years but for some reason we seem to manage a win each year, and I felt that way this year too right until last game when you lost your latest batch of players.

Is the run game now basically your only weapon? I know that Riley Dodge had to be moved to WR from QB becasue his arm strength just wasnt there. I know he knows the offense and obviously his arm has had some rest since he hasnt been playing QB since last year. Will he be effective?

Dunbar gouged the hell out of us, so Im sure that FAU is prepping to try and shut him down.

Line is out and its FAU as a 8 point favorite, Do you think thats about right?

Looking forward to the game and your responses.

I thought that this was the year we finally beat FAU also. But, that was before the nighmare string of injuries. The injury to Thompson (backup QB) was the real disasterous one.

Riley's shoulder prevents him from having any kind of arm strength. FAU will probably put 9 men in the box and force NT to beat FAU with the pass.

With that being said, I hope that our boys come out and play hard. But, if we play like we did at Army after Thompson was hurt, it will get very ugly for us.

Good Morning Mean Green!

First off, let me say Im shocked by the number of season ending injuries you guys have had. I dont know if there is a reason for it or not but its just crazy. Speedy recovery to your players.

I've felt that UNT is overdue for a win against FAU now for 2 years but for some reason we seem to manage a win each year, and I felt that way this year too right until last game when you lost your latest batch of players.

Is the run game now basically your only weapon? I know that Riley Dodge had to be moved to WR from QB becasue his arm strength just wasnt there. I know he knows the offense and obviously his arm has had some rest since he hasnt been playing QB since last year. Will he be effective?

Dunbar gouged the hell out of us, so Im sure that FAU is prepping to try and shut him down.

Yes, the run game is our only option now that Riley is QB. You'll see lots of zone-read plays. Riley's arm is still not trustworthy.

Dunbar may not get as many carries as he should if they run the zone-read... all your guys will need to do is contain his read, and Riley will tuck it and run outside for around 2 yds. Key on Dunbar, and the game is all but over already.

As for the line, eat the points and bet 'til your hands bleed. :(

On the bright side, using the eye test, our defense appears to be better now than any other time you've ever faced us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good Morning Mean Green!

You don't need to worry about Dunbar this year as our coaches can't quite figure out how to get him the ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OwlFamily, please don't let our negativity paint a bad picture of our fan base. It's Monday and we're frustrated. Please check back Friday as no doubt we'll be sobered up and excited about our first Sunbelt game of the season.

We have more talent on both sides of the ball than we have in the previous two years. Hopefully, you're in for a great game.

No worries.

Hell if FAU had the plague of injuries that ya'll have had Id be needing drugs and therapy.

I still find it hard to belive that FAU is 6-0 vs UNT. I remember back at the fist meeting between our teams at Lockhart, telling everyone at our tailgate that UNT was THE team to beat and that we didnt have much of a chance. To my surprise and delight we won.

FAU has the official WORST rund d in the country right now, but its generally due to giving up huge plays. That of course is Dunbar's forte so I'm sure hes gonna get his yards.

Watch out for Lester Jean and our TE Rob Housler. Jeff Van Camp is really clicking with them. Dunbar was stopped pretty good by MSU's Dline, but he is a very physical back. He's good for 3-4 per carry every time.

No worries.

Hell if FAU had the plague of injuries that ya'll have had Id be needing drugs and therapy.

I still find it hard to belive that FAU is 6-0 vs UNT. I remember back at the fist meeting between our teams at Lockhart, telling everyone at our tailgate that UNT was THE team to beat and that we didnt have much of a chance. To my surprise and delight we won.

FAU has the official WORST rund d in the country right now, but its generally due to giving up huge plays. That of course is Dunbar's forte so I'm sure hes gonna get his yards.

Watch out for Lester Jean and our TE Rob Housler. Jeff Van Camp is really clicking with them. Dunbar was stopped pretty good by MSU's Dline, but he is a very physical back. He's good for 3-4 per carry every time.

After the last game you guys should not worry about Dunbar he might touch the ball maybe 20 times with half being screen passes, if he had 20+ touches to run he would probably break 2-3 big runs, but alas our coaching staff for some reason fail to realize this.

Edited by untbowler

OwlFamily, please don't let our negativity paint a bad picture of our fan base. It's Monday and we're frustrated. Please check back Friday as no doubt we'll be sobered up and excited about our first Sunbelt game of the season.

We have more talent on both sides of the ball than we have in the previous two years. Hopefully, you're in for a great game.

Agree...

Our Fan Base? We had a few bodies short of 24,000 after 5 losing season for a home season opener.

Yes, that number will go down some (unless our latest UNT student body bucks our usual trend and shows up on Game Days anyway). I don't think that number will go down as much as past years because we do have a larger fan base aided by record-breaking enrollments each year at UNT.

Our annual record-breaking UNT Freshmen Classes really gives our program a nice attendance boost each year and when we start giving everyone in our UNT community a Top 50 program in our new stadium, old Fouts Field record attendance games will be going further down on that Top 10 Crowds At UNT list we see in our souvenir football programs.

GMG!

To OwlFamily: The advantage of your time-tested and obviously ageless Coach Schnelly' is glaringly obvious. He has schooled the last 2 most recent coaches at UNT at every stop; even during 1 or 2 of our bowl seasons which was a downer for some of us. Our next coach I predict will not be as easily schooled. We ain't going to take failure over to that new football palace your Owls will soon one day be visiting.:thumbsup: So yall get your licks in while you can because the pendelum is fixin' to turn. :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I watched the MichSt. game and this guy was a monster. I hope the LB's are ready for this guy.

He had a carrer game at MSU.

Hes always had the size, speed, and ability to be a truly great TE.

HOWEVER until last game he had hands of stone. Couldnt catch a cold. Supposedly he's turned the corner and if he has he will be very effective.

Though both my parents are MSU undergrad and grad alum...I was secretly pulling for FAU when the parents came over to watch the game. I had to keep that excitement to a dull roar however in that I could have been taken out of the will for cheering against MSU. That being said... I honestly have FAU by 2-3 TDS over us...the reason will be turnovers. Not that our D can't hang since I have been thoroughly impressed by them since they started this year but I have a feeling the Offense (headed by either Riley or Chase) will turn the ball over at least 3 times this game. I wish I could say otherwise but have no reason to believe otherwise.

Owl guy,

The other big issue is Riley's injury history. It's not good. There's a better than average chance that you will see one of our other walk-on QBs before the day is over.

We had high hopes for the season. Now, we're staring down the barrel of the reality of seeing maybe four or five difference starters at QB before the season is over. It's unreal.

The upside for us is that you all appear to be young, with an offense heavily invested in the Van Camp to Jean connection. I don't know how much of a fight we'll put up. But, after boldly claiming we'd beat you as recently as last week, I now fully expect us to lose by at least 17.

Though both my parents are MSU undergrad and grad alum...I was secretly pulling for FAU when the parents came over to watch the game. I had to keep that excitement to a dull roar however in that I could have been taken out of the will for cheering against MSU. That being said... I honestly have FAU by 2-3 TDS over us...the reason will be turnovers. Not that our D can't hang since I have been thoroughly impressed by them since they started this year but I have a feeling the Offense (headed by either Riley or Chase) will turn the ball over at least 3 times this game. I wish I could say otherwise but have no reason to believe otherwise.

We are also due for another blocked kick, be it punt or field goal. Special teams mistakes will lead to 7 points for FAU.

Owl guy,

The other big issue is Riley's injury history. It's not good. There's a better than average chance that you will see one of our other walk-on QBs before the day is over.

We had high hopes for the season. Now, we're staring down the barrel of the reality of seeing maybe four or five difference starters at QB before the season is over. It's unreal.

The upside for us is that you all appear to be young, with an offense heavily invested in the Van Camp to Jean connection. I don't know how much of a fight we'll put up. But, after boldly claiming we'd beat you as recently as last week, I now fully expect us to lose by at least 17.

For you guys to win you have to exploit our inexperienced O'line. The problem is that if you blitz, thats when Jean or Houseler will be ope for 5-10 yards. Due to the O'line learning curve our QB is working off of a 3 step drop instead of the normal 5 step. So its been difficult to get to him.

How is your D this year? Sepecifically the Dline and Secondary.

For you guys to win you have to exploit our inexperienced O'line. The problem is that if you blitz, thats when Jean or Houseler will be ope for 5-10 yards. Due to the O'line learning curve our QB is working off of a 3 step drop instead of the normal 5 step. So its been difficult to get to him.

How is your D this year? Sepecifically the Dline and Secondary.

DLine interior is pretty good with a couple of big jucos. Dends are small but active - they can be effective pass rushers at times. The secondary is not great but they have been fairly solid overall. Our team views FAU as the most physical Sun Belt team and I expect we will be loading up against the run so our secondary will be tested.

Good catch, I fixed it.

Well, I appreciated the vote of confidence in FAU's favor. :D

On a side note I just heard that Wright Waters will be in attendance at the game.

Not sure why, other then maybe to see where our Stadium is going to go and to gaze in wonder that is the craphole known has Lockhart Stadium.

So at 0-3 and headed on the road this week, is there ANYONE left on this board that really thinks we will win 7 games this season?

Until we start playing the Sun Belt, it is premature to rule out the possibility of another Dickey-like run through the conference.