Are You Willing To Donate More If We Get A High Profile Coach?

Bundy

For those of us that are MGC Members (or thinking of joining), are you willing to donate more if we get a high profile coach, like a Mike Leach? OR If we hire another coach like a Dodge or Dickey, will you keep your donation the same or less????

Personally for me, I have reduced my MGC donation based upon the performance of the football team, right or wrong....that is my reasoning. If we hired someone like Leach (high profile), I am willing to make a pledge to increase my MGC donation.

• Downvote 1

For those of us that are MGC Members (or thinking of joining), are you willing to donate more if we get a high profile coach, like a Mike Leach? OR If we hire another coach like a Dodge or Dickey, will you keep your donation the same or less????

Personally for me, I have reduced my MGC donation based upon the performance of the football team, right or wrong....that is my reasoning. If we hired someone like Leach (high profile), I am willing to make a pledge to increase my MGC donation.

Keep in mind ticket prices for the new stadium will be increasing ...

Lovely. I rest my case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Lovely. I rest my case.

Now you're just trolling. When Dodge goes, I hope you will follow him.

If I understand correctly, you don't contribute to the Mean Green Club. It's not your place to dog somebody who has been a member because he's tired of throwing good money after bad.

Honest question here:

Are coaches salaries determined by the MGC?

I thought this was solely for student schollies (my impression).

If No, then you lowered your giving to the scholarship fund for all student-athletes because of the product on the football field? This doesn't make much sense.

When I drive 2 and a half hours to the game and spend $100-200 bucks on tickets and food and such for the kids, I am supporting those student athletes. Just because I choose not to be a part of a giving club does not mean that I do not give...Sir.

No, but it does mean that you literally have less invested in this program.

Which probably explains how you feel about the current situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When I drive 2 and a half hours to the game and spend $100-200 bucks on tickets and food and such for the kids, I am supporting those student athletes. Just because I choose not to be a part of a giving club does not mean that I do not give...Sir.

No, you do give. You choose only to give with overhead. When I give to the MGC, there is minimal overhead associated with the money that I have contributed. That money can go farther. And I buy tickets and food at the games. You do contribute, but not in the same way that proves that you are invested in the future of the program. We need everything we can get and what everyone can afford helps, but don't disparage those who choose to give money directly and make it sound like you are doing the exact same thing.

• Downvote 1

For the existing donors, it will all even out...some will give more...some will stay the same and some will reduce it because of financial hardship, the economy etc. However you get a legit big name coach in here and I think there will be enough buzz where it will draw the average person/alum that don't care about NT athletics to be interested...they will be inclined to come to games or get season tickets etc. And you will have people that don't donate to the athletics program start to donate something. So therefore, if you bring in a big name coach I do think the funds will come more than what it is currently.

Before i just disagreed with you, now I can write you off. MGC funds go directly to student athletes, the hot dog in your kids' mouth not so much. Plus, when you give to the MGC your investment is made regardless of whether you have games you cant attend or buy nachos at. Apples and oranges..Sir.

To answer the question posed by this topic, UNT doesn't get another dollar of my money until Dodge wins 7 games this season or we hire a name coach with FBS experience. I let my MGC membership lapse because I was tired of the sorry-ass results we've been getting in football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the existing donors, it will all even out...some will give more...some will stay the same and some will reduce it because of financial hardship, the economy etc. However you get a legit big name coach in here and I think there will be enough buzz where it will draw the average person/alum that don't care about NT athletics to be interested...they will be inclined to come to games or get season tickets etc. And you will have people that don't donate to the athletics program start to donate something. So therefore, if you bring in a big name coach I do think the funds will come more than what it is currently.

I see what you mean, but I disagree just a little bit. Let's say we hire Leach (which i hope we don't) or we bring in say a Brent Venables (hope not either). There is just not the money sitting on the sideline as some might think. Fry came and left saying there was not enough monetarily nor otherwise in the way of support. Everybody said well win and people will donate. Didn't happen in the run of 4 straight bowls and 4 conference championships. Some may want to minimize the championships and bowls, but they were still Div. 1 championships. Then others said build a stadium and I will give more. Well, take a look at the donor page in the next game program. Quite a few $1,000 and below donations, which are important. But go up to the next levels and the number of donors takes a big drop. Pretty sad when you see a billboard on I35 between Denton and Lewisville that says 92,000+ UNT graduates work in Dallas Fort Worth. You say well Fry has been gone for what, 30 years. My point is the cycle you allude to has been going on for that long. The biggest difference between now and then is that the fans who really want a serious football program are making their voices heard. It started about ten years ago, but today it is louder than ever.

What it is going to take is not just a big name coach, but some OOC wins which will lead to bigger games being played at our stadium, and dominate whatever conference we are in year in and year out for 4 or 5 years just like a school in our part of Texas should. The stadium and the big name is not going to be the cure all. We need to start winning on a consistent basis and be able to really compete and win against everybody we play. Then these fringe people may actually jump on board.

To answer the question posed by this topic, UNT doesn't get another dollar of my money until Dodge wins 7 games this season or we hire a name coach with FBS experience. I let my MGC membership lapse because I was tired of the sorry-ass results we've been getting in football.

you should be donating more money so we can get better conditioning equipment and more weight room stuff

• Upvote 1

I always think there should be a new coach fund. A place where disgruntled fans can donate to create a signing bonus for a new coach. Instead of not buying season tickets, because I don't support Dodge, I would have invested in a new coach fund.

I also think the Leach talk is ridiculous, he's simply out of our price range.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I want a CEO type of football coach. I just hate when the head coach tries to be involved in either the offense or defense, that is the coordinator's job. When you have a "guru", something gets overlooked. With Leach, it was defense. Here it has been the special teams. Thats not to say his system can't be used on either side of the ball, he needs to implement it and get the hell out of the way.

I want a CEO type of football coach. I just hate when the head coach tries to be involved in either the offense or defense, that is the coordinator's job. When you have a "guru", something gets overlooked. With Leach, it was defense. Here it has been the special teams. Thats not to say his system can't be used on either side of the ball, he needs to implement it and get the hell out of the way.

Anyone figured out why we can't solve our kicking issues?