Dodge Deserves Better Fans

the real grad88

If this was his first or second year as coach, I'd agree with you. But this is year number four and he has yet to prove anything besides, "we're always just 3-7 points short."

Let me ask you a question - if you were a coach and you had a player on scholarship for 4 years that wasn't producing, would you keep him? I wouldn't. He's eating up scholarship money he isn't earning. Right now, Dodge isn't earning his pay. I would even let it slide if he put up 3 or 4 wins per season, but that isn't the case. In short, Dodge is wasting the money of fans, alumni and students. Any money that is going into his pocketbook is currently being wasted because not only has he failed to produce results, he's done so consistently. I'd venture to guess that we can get a better coach. Heck, Canales is halfway there. And with schools like Troy and FAU managing to land great head coaches on limited budgets, there's no reason that we can't.

Dodge either pulls a Dickey 2002 or he's gone.

If a coach can't win what most college presidents, BOR's, football AD's and fans expect, he should be let go. I felt that way about DD and I feel the same way about TDodge, yet he was told he would be given a chance to stay if he won "7" games--if we are 0 & 6, then most of us would probably agree that AD Villareal needs to have that private meeting with Todd and give him the news of his termination. Both will need to make plans for their respective futures.

I was a sales manager many years of my 25 year career in tech school recruiting. Some of the best people I ever knew I had to fire because they non-stop "almost got the sale." One was a young guy with a young family that I kept giving so many chances that I almost lost my job for doing it.

UNT AD Rick V will do what he has to do and Todd Dodge will accept it in good character and grace. I still hope for a miracle with TDodge but I just don't see it now in light of massive injuries.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think those who tirelessly defend Dodge are missing one key component of the criticism leveled at him on this board. The criticism is aimed at Dodge's job performance not Todd Dodge the human being. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Coach Dodge myself but many people who post regularly here (and whose opinions I value), have nothing but positive reviews to their interactions with him.

Coach Dodge carries himself very well with the media, interacts well with fans, and seems like a guy I'd like to have a beer or two with sometime. That being said...

Todd Dodge is in way over his head coaching at this level and has consistently shown to be ill prepared for the challenges other Division I programs throw at him. We all know his high school record in Texas is that of legends but the "Peter Principle" reared its ugly head and bit Dodge (and the rest of us) in the arse. We can hope for the best and hope for some kind of miracle that will rescue this season but like Linus waiting earnestly for the Great Pumpkin, it's just not gonna happen.

I hope the best for Todd Dodge and what his future may bring him, but even more, I hope the best for the Mean Green Nation and that RV and whomever he consults with will find a leader for this program that will make 2011 the first of many seasons of glory to the green.

I think those who tirelessly defend Dodge are missing one key component of the criticism leveled at him on this board. The criticism is aimed at Dodge's job performance not Todd Dodge the human being. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Coach Dodge myself but many people who post regularly here (and whose opinions I value), have nothing but positive reviews to their interactions with him.

Coach Dodge carries himself very well with the media, interacts well with fans, and seems like a guy I'd like to have a beer or two with sometime. That being said...

Todd Dodge is in way over his head coaching at this level and has consistently shown to be ill prepared for the challenges other Division I programs throw at him. We all know his high school record in Texas is that of legends but the "Peter Principle" reared its ugly head and bit Dodge (and the rest of us) in the arse. We can hope for the best and hope for some kind of miracle that will rescue this season but like Linus waiting earnestly for the Great Pumpkin, it's just not gonna happen.

I hope the best for Todd Dodge and what his future may bring him, but even more, I hope the best for the Mean Green Nation and that RV and whomever he consults with will find a leader for this program that will make 2011 the first of many seasons of glory to the green.

This is level-headed, good stuff. It's how I feel.

I'm probably seen as one of those who tirelessly defend him, but I absolutely want what's best for our University more than what's best for coach Dodge.

I felt the same way about coach Dickey. I defended him until the day he left.

If Dodge can pull a rabbit out of the hat this season, then great! If he is fired, then OK, we'll move on. Either way, GO MEAN GREEN!

After Dennis Parker and TDodge, I think the Mean Green Nation is convinced that Texas HS football success does not translate to the collegiate gridiron. Notre Dame tried it many years ago, too, with the same (lack of) success we've had 2 times in Denton. And yes, I was one of many on this board who pushed for Todd Dodge. If you who didn't go for the Dodge have been wrong before in other things in life, you'd know how our group feels right now.

I used to just have to know the Mean Green HFC's when a younger alum, but I now know I would have a hard time being objective if I was too close to any of them and can fully understand you who do get close to them trying to be loyal to your personal friend, but we are also not in the Mean Green Retirement Center For Mediocre Talent business, either. It has been a most expensive venture when we've tried to extend those who gave us no upwardly bound future.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think that Dodge may have some to the best fans in the world! I mean the guy is 5-34 and people are still defending him. I don't think anyone on here wishes him ill - everyone just wants him to win. Is that unreasonable?

My undergrad alma mater is NCAA Div III and the hot topic there is if the football coach's job security. His first 3 seasons he was only 13-17 and has started off this season 1-2 after an upset loss in the first week of conference. At D-3, with playoffs on the line and only a 10 game season, if you don't average at least 5 wins a season you don't last long. Talking to a former roommate this weekend, he was amazed that Dodge was still here with that type of record.

While is true that competition is a different at Div I, wins are still the goal.

If Dodge doesn't get a miracle out of his remaining team, he will be terminated. However, he will be only the last in a long line of coaches that have not succeeded at NT. In the last forty years, there has been one coach; Hayden Fry that has achieved at NT. Some may put Corky on that list but that was at a lower level and his teams really never dominated the Southland.

While if it had been my decision; DD would have been fired when he went public numerous times with his view that NT was the hardest place to coach in America statement. However, I would have fired him because his statements hurt the program not because it was not at least close to the truth. For a variety of reasons: isolation, administration apathy toward athletics, intense competition, etc.; NT has never developed the infrastructure necessary to be competitive in the fb division. At long last, NT is building the structure needed to be successful. Unfortunately, Dodge was a bad hire at a critical time; a big gamble that did not pay off. Dodge may finally be turning into a legitimate fb head coach but it is too late at NT unless he produces a miracle 2010. NT must have momentum going into next season either by a rebounding program or the hope for one through a new hire.

In hind sight Dodge was not close to being ready to be a fb division head coach and his development has been slow so he probably will join Rust, Tyler, Parker, Simon, Moore and Dickey as coaches that have failed here. Next year coach will have advantages none of these men had and it is imperative that a sound deciison is made.

With the renewed conference turnover, NT must improve the football program.

Dodge is getting his last chance which is probably more than should be expected with his record. I think he actually had a good chance if the unparalleled injury toll had not happened. Dodge does not necessarily deserve better support but I think the team does. This is a team that has suffered through more than any team should; little success and unparalleled injury problems. I am hoping the team will not give up and the fans will not give up on the team.

• Upvote 1

If Dodge doesn't get a miracle out of his remaining team, he will be terminated. However, he will be only the last in a long line of coaches that have not succeeded at NT. In the last forty years, there has been one coach; Hayden Fry that has achieved at NT.

Darrel Dickey also achieved at NT. Four conference titles, the first bowl trip in 40-plus years and first bowl win, and a long conference winning streak all are significant. I don't think the stadium would have been built without the success of Dickey's run. I also wonder whether Dodge would have come back to NT without it.

• Upvote 1