The Reality Of Change

MeanGreenEagle1

"A Clear Message Must Be Sent Starting Now"

The reality of our situation is this. TD and RV must go. It's all about accountability now. There must be significant change. UNT has no choice. In order to continue the building a strong marketing campaign moving into a new stadium, a very clear and loud message must be sent to all students, faculty, fans and alumni.

I love NT, but the school's leadership has developed a history of making poor decisions on many levels and the athletic program is no different. To those of you who still make excuses for our performance, wake up. We don't have time to entertain TD's and RV's rhetoric any longer. No more excuses. I demand accountability and you should too. Our players deserve so much better. Their hearts have to be breaking. I graduated in 1999, and watching NT's slow and putrid grind of defeat has been painful. 5-34 is beyond ridiculous.

Bottom line, the alumni confidence has hit a very unstable level now. We are indeed an embarrassment in the DFW area and with our recent nationally broadcast games, the country is now seeing us for who we are. We are on delicate and shaky ground gentlemen. UNT has an enrollment too large to continue down this road. I pray that our boys get leadership that is at least equal to other NCAA teams. What a great underdog story this will be one day when they perform beautifully. I stress the word "will". Why? Because I believe it. But change is looking us in the face.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

One of two things is going to have to happen: either the leadership at NT get serious about hiring a legitimate coach...or, accept a change in status to being a solid FCS program with a great new stadium. I know that's not a popular thought to vocalize around here, but I think this program is certainly within a few years of reaching that point.

• Downvote 2

"A Clear Message Must Be Sent Starting Now"

The reality of our situation is this. TD and RV must go. It's all about accountability now. There must be significant change. UNT has no choice. In order to continue the building a strong marketing campaign moving into a new stadium, a very clear and loud message must be sent to all students, faculty, fans and alumni.

I love NT, but the school's leadership has developed a history of making poor decisions on many levels and the athletic program is no different. To those of you who still make excuses for our performance, wake up. We don't have time to entertain TD's and RV's rhetoric any longer. No more excuses. I demand accountability and you should too. Our players deserve so much better. Their hearts have to be breaking. I graduated in 1999, and watching NT's slow and putrid grind of defeat has been painful. 5-34 is beyond ridiculous.

Bottom line, the alumni confidence has hit a very unstable level now. We are indeed an embarrassment in the DFW area and with our recent nationally broadcast games, the country is now seeing us for who we are. We are on delicate and shaky ground gentlemen. UNT has an enrollment too large to continue down this road. I pray that our boys get leadership that is at least equal to other NCAA teams. What a great underdog story this will be one day when they perform beautifully. I stress the word "will". Why? Because I believe it. But change is looking us in the face.

I could not agree with this more. We need to stop defending what is not working. It is time for a new AD. We should have enough love for UNT to get leadership that represents it well.

• Downvote 2

I am all for the Dodge boot but I think RV has done wonders to the overall athletics program. He effed up with the Dodge hiring...everybody knows that. I personally think he is going to redeem himself and hire someone who is credible and that will win here in his time. Get rid of Dodge? Yes. RV? No because you have to look at the whole body of work and not just the Dodge hire.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the calls for RV's head. The idea of making a change shouldn't be change for change's sake, but because you think that you can do better with a change. Clearly that is the case with Todd Dodge but when I look at the overall improvement in the overall athletic department coupled with the achievement, after years of hoping, of the new stadium, I don't understand how firing RV produces an improvement in the program. Given finances at the time, RV was pretty hamstrung in his coaching search when Dodge was hired. I understand why people are upset that Dodge was kept on after last year, but was the money really there to pay a buyout to him and hire a new coach? It seems like RV stuck with him in the hopes that he would turn it around or, if not, UNT's financial position to bring in a new coach would be better. What am I missing here in the calls for RV's firing?

I don't understand the calls for RV's head. The idea of making a change shouldn't be change for change's sake, but because you think that you can do better with a change. Clearly that is the case with Todd Dodge but when I look at the overall improvement in the overall athletic department coupled with the achievement, after years of hoping, of the new stadium, I don't understand how firing RV produces an improvement in the program. Given finances at the time, RV was pretty hamstrung in his coaching search when Dodge was hired. I understand why people are upset that Dodge was kept on after last year, but was the money really there to pay a buyout to him and hire a new coach? It seems like RV stuck with him in the hopes that he would turn it around or, if not, UNT's financial position to bring in a new coach would be better. What am I missing here in the calls for RV's firing?

It is pretty much a reaction to suckiness. You will find this in most poorly performing programs.

Let me ask you this, if where you work, the overall body of work you have done has been good would your employer fire you for one big mistake that cost's your company's name to be ridiculed in the local

and national community?

The BP guy that got canned or shipped away may have been overall good for BP but, is tied and known for one questionable and poor decision. It's the same there in this situation.

I also want to acknowledge the money contract thing and being hamstrung but we don't know that for sure 100% as being the case. If UNT wanted change they will get change regardless

of the cost, case and point Dr. B's departure.

Edited by Will to Win

RV has only made two real glaring mistakes. Hiring TD and retaining him again the last year.

Under his guidance our football team is awful!!! But, he has done many wonderful things. and, I am sure he will bring in a big name coach to come in and right this thing. RV has done wonders for facilities, basketball program, tennis, volleyball, etc. No way do we call for his head on this. Now, if he doesn't do anything about TD then I would be the first in line to want him to step down.

Over-react much.

RV has built a great overall athletic program. RV is holding Dodge accountable, that's we all know about the "6-wins or else" clause.

Here's the deal. IF RV is responsible for bringing Dodge back (not told he had to because of money), then he ahould suffer some consequences. Problems go deeper than just the football coach.

Here's the deal. IF RV is responsible for bringing Dodge back (not told he had to because of money), then he ahould suffer some consequences. Problems go deeper than just the football coach.

Where are the problems elsewhere? I think the jury is still out on women's basketball but other than the TD hiring, RV has done a tremendous job. And what consequences do you give him? It is either he keeps his job or he doesn't and firing him is almost a no option at this point IMO.

Over-react much.

RV has built a great overall athletic program. RV is holding Dodge accountable, that's we all know about the "6-wins or else" clause.

Shall we all list the positive things, ie, the Mean Green Athletic Village and new venues that have happened under RV's watch? Good grief, folks, who's next on this witch burning tour--the Pope? :blink:

GMG!

Good grief, folks, who's next on this witch burning tour--the Pope? :blink

I, for one, think that's a pretty solid idea. :)

I should clarify, I'm not calling for RV's head. I recognize the his overall accomplishments as AD and, as of now, feel that he has earned a pass for this one.

Over-react much.

Overreact? Don't think so. RV has indeed made some good decisions leading to significant contributions in athletics...undoubtedly the most significant in probably 20 years. It's like a high school principal overlooking a struggling school on the verge of AYP. It's a delicate scenario. You can be the greatest Principal from a leadership standpoint but quickly be drawn into a managerial role if you fail to inspire your teachers (coaches/players). Inspiration comes from leadership which in turn brings results even in the most trying times. NT must have leaders with proven records in athletics from top tier schools....not some Dominos Pizza Business man who walks dorms and sells the notion of why a stadium is a good idea (I know he's done more...I know the history, I'm just making an example). Students should not have to be "sold" on the idea..which is how they approached the argument.

Inspiration is how small football programs have been built into greatness....where you see fans welcoming their team into the stadium and screaming their lungs out. You can't tell me our fans aren't jealous watching teams like LSU, Clemson, Alabama etc, wishing we had that. Those games are wonderful to experience and I pray that NT has that one day. I have been dedicated to UNT since the moment I stepped in campus in the 90's and Damnit...every single person who supports NT deserves better. UNT has a lot of money even with the budget shortfall in Texas education. Now that we have the stadium, recruit leaders who fit the vision.

By the way...I don't think RV will go anywhere even though IMHO and it's only my opinion that his tenure is up...too many people have contributed the stadium's realization to him. You know what's sad, UNT has over 100,000 alumni in the DFW area,,they need inspiration to fill the new stadium I assure you.

TD and RV aren't going to be the duo to do that. It's RV and some new celeb coach or a new crew all together.

A few years ago, practically everyone on this board was giddy with excitement and talking about the genius of a man that RV was for getting a genius coach from SLC to step up to the college ranks, and now so many are ready to crucify both of them. Pathetic. RV has done wonders for athletics in general at NT. Dodge is having some VERY bad luck this year with major injuries. I still think he is a class-act and capable of developing a winning program here. I don't know of any coaches in this league (the Belt) who could take the injury set-backs Dodge has had this year and win. Dodge needs a 3 year contract just to give him a chance with the new stadium. I think he could do something with it. He came here with a promise of a new stadium, and I think he should get a chance to coach in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A few years ago, practically everyone on this board was giddy with excitement and talking about the genius of a man that RV was for getting a genius coach from SLC to step up to the college ranks, and now so many are ready to crucify both of them. Pathetic. RV has done wonders for athletics in general at NT. Dodge is having some VERY bad luck this year with major injuries. I still think he is a class-act and capable of developing a winning program here. I don't know of any coaches in this league (the Belt) who could take the injury set-backs Dodge has had this year and win. Dodge needs a 3 year contract just to give him a chance with the new stadium. I think he could do something with it. He came here with a promise of a new stadium, and I think he should get a chance to coach in it.

"Practically everyone" is way over the top.

You want to give Dodge 7-8 years to start winning, are you related to him or just on drugs?