This To Me Is More Heartbreaking Than Embarassing

pogWo4life

I mean I am watching right before my eyes a team's morale slowly and painfully being disected. So many people don't think we deserve our new stadium, and honestly it's going to get so much worse now.

I don't know if we are not being conditioned right or what.

It's lack of leadership. R.V. has set the tone that it's OK to lose because there is always next year.

We'll, I don't accept that. I demand a winning culture, disciplined play, excellent coaching, and most of all an Administrator who will not accept and nurture failure.

Let that sting of embarrassment stew in your stomach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Fire Dodge now, name Deloach the interim, and get a Head Coach and coaching staff in here that knows how to win. Tough break for TD with all the injuries, but if he had not squandered the previous four years, perhaps he could be given some slack. Act now Rick and salvage next years recruiting class. It's a sad day for NT, but it is apparent that this current situation will never get better. Is Mike Leach gettable? :(

• Upvote 1

Fire Dodge now, name Deloach the interim, and get a Head Coach and coaching staff in here that knows how to win. Tough break for TD with all the injuries, but if he had not squandered the previous four years, perhaps he could be given some slack. Act now Rick and salvage next years recruiting class. It's a sad day for NT, but it is apparent that this current situation will never get better. Is Mike Leach gettable? :(

I know it sounds harsh but R.V. must also be replaced for us to have chance for next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I'm way more on the embarrassment side

I left the bar I was at because so many people were laughing at unt's play....embarrassing....TD hould have been fired after the second season like many wanted....then season three....now season four...this game was just hard to watch...pathetic....feel sorry for the players. time for TD to move on.

• Upvote 2

I know it sounds harsh but R.V. must also be replaced for us to have chance for next season.

RV has been successful in basketball and we're in the process of building a stadium. It's not the time to fire an AD, even though he deserves it for hiring a high school coach.

• Upvote 2

I left the bar I was at because so many people were laughing at unt's play....embarrassing....TD hould have been fired after the second season like many wanted....then season three....now season four...this game was just hard to watch...pathetic....feel sorry for the players. time for TD to move on.

Same here. And when the Bartender asked Me what was that...and what was that call...and that, and so on? I just told Him that it's TYPICAL Dodge Ball! Totally embarassing, but heck...give Dodge His Fifth Year...since Today's Game was a MULLIGAN! Whoever came up with that BS?! North Texas...where NICE comes before WINNING!

I mean I am watching right before my eyes a team's morale slowly and painfully being disected. So many people don't think we deserve our new stadium, and honestly it's going to get so much worse now.

I don't know if we are not being conditioned right or what.

Not sure this team will be able to win a game this year. With 10 starters out for the season through 3 games, it is looking very much like no wins.

That really sucks, I'm glad I was not there because I would of done something that would of got me in trouble.

I left the bar I was at because so many people were laughing at unt's play....embarrassing.....

This is what happens in the real-world...outside of the North Texas area where everyone already knows NT Football sucks. I tell people out here that I'm in NT fan and the try not to giggle at me. Newsflash to the delusional...we are a laughing stock.

It's lack of leadership. R.V. has set the tone that it's OK to lose because there is always next year.

We'll, I don't accept that. I demand a winning culture, disciplined play, excellent coaching, and most of all an Administrator who will not accept and nurture failure.

RV was hired in 2001 and was ready to fire our 0-5 coach. But we started winning, and he bit his tongue. 4 conference titles later, and 4 SBC Coach of the Year awards did not mean a thing after a couple 2-win seasons. Except that maybe they prolonged the decision...I don't know.

I also think the 7-win ultimatum says otherwise to this tone you claim RV has set.

Not that I totally agree with his move, but RV giving Dodge this long tells me he wants to give this man every chance to build this program from the bottom up. And it is RV in that line of thought that leads me to believe he will give Dodge the full season to fulfill the deal.

If, say, Dodge is fired mid-season and Canales takes over and goes 0-whatever in 2010. Is this acceptable to you for the purpose of getting a head start for 2011? Would you agree that you are giving up on the seniors, completely dismissing their efforts and goals their final year of eligibility?

Purely hypothetical, but if Canales and DeLoach got together before the administration and donors and spoke in favor of 2011 Dodge, would you keep him around? Or laugh in their faces and clean them all out?

RV was hired in 2001 and was ready to fire our 0-5 coach. But we started winning, and he bit his tongue. 4 conference titles later, and 4 SBC Coach of the Year awards did not mean a thing after a couple 2-win seasons. Except that maybe they prolonged the decision...I don't know.

I also think the 7-win ultimatum says otherwise to this tone you claim RV has set.

Not that I totally agree with his move, but RV giving Dodge this long tells me he wants to give this man every chance to build this program from the bottom up. And it is RV in that line of thought that leads me to believe he will give Dodge the full season to fulfill the deal.

If, say, Dodge is fired mid-season and Canales takes over and goes 0-whatever in 2010. Is this acceptable to you for the purpose of getting a head start for 2011? Would you agree that you are giving up on the seniors, completely dismissing their efforts and goals their final year of eligibility?

Purely hypothetical, but if Canales and DeLoach got together before the administration and donors and spoke in favor of 2011 Dodge, would you keep him around? Or laugh in their faces and clean them all out?

I'm not an A-hole and have compassion. I am however at the end of my rope and have past my threshold and lost my patience with this losing streak.

There are no easy answers when things are not going your way. If it were easy anybody could do it. What I do know, is making tough decisions and not second guessing yourself

is what separates the men from the boys, good from bad and winners from losers.

At some point a tough decision has to be made. It may not be popular but the alternative is what we have been dealing with for the past 4-5 years and that is what I don't want.

Edited by Will to Win
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My entire time as a student athlete at NT, all I saw was RV taking away from other programs so that the football program could succeed (funds, athlete numbers, marketing,etc.). It made me sick while I was competing and it is making me even sicker now. He should get out of this mess and tend to his family.

I will give him that he has built up a decent basketball team (well all he did was hire a good coach).

But, the other programs suffer at the expense of a football program that is horrible. And don't give me the argument that we couldn't do it without football! There are plenty of other schools doing it without football! There are other ways of funding and that is a fact. That is besides the point though. I am not for ridding NT of football. I just think that we should put some funds and man power towards other programs for the time being. There are too many other powerhouses in Texas football for us to compete right now.

Also RV should be shown the door because he can't hire a coach. As stated already in this thread, he wanted to let Dickey go after 0-5... Dickey turned it around. He hired Dodge and he obviously can't get it done.

Almost any AD could get us a new stadium with the crap we have now! I give him no credit for the stadium. The students did most of the work anyways.

Let us protect the school that we love and not back up coaches or AD's because we think they deserve it for various reasons. We should expect the best no matter who is representing our university. Let's wipe the athletic department clean and start with a fresh batch of goodness to win some conference championships all around! GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

My entire time as a student athlete at NT, all I saw was RV taking away from other programs so that the football program could succeed (funds, athlete numbers, marketing,etc.). It made me sick while I was competing and it is making me even sicker now. He should get out of this mess and tend to his family.

I will give him that he has built up a decent basketball team (well all he did was hire a good coach).

But, the other programs suffer at the expense of a football program that is horrible. And don't give me the argument that we couldn't do it without football! There are plenty of other schools doing it without football! There are other ways of funding and that is a fact. That is besides the point though. I am not for ridding NT of football. I just think that we should put some funds and man power towards other programs for the time being. There are too many other powerhouses in Texas football for us to compete right now.

Also RV should be shown the door because he can't hire a coach. As stated already in this thread, he wanted to let Dickey go after 0-5... Dickey turned it around. He hired Dodge and he obviously can't get it done.

Almost any AD could get us a new stadium with the crap we have now! I give him no credit for the stadium. The students did most of the work anyways.

Let us protect the school that we love and not back up coaches or AD's because we think they deserve it for various reasons. We should expect the best no matter who is representing our university. Let's wipe the athletic department clean and start with a fresh batch of goodness to win some conference championships all around! GMG!

Good Point, Enron at one time was profitable, made some good moves and a wise investment, but people have to notice when to stop funding a losing cause. Would you keep pumping money into something

that is not a yielding positive ROI?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am tired of you guys trying to defend everything that is pathetic about our athletic program! RV sucks. Dodge sucks. They should be producing and they are not! We won Basketball and Tennis championships this year. Woopty do. WKU has destroyed us this year at championship events!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am tired of you guys trying to defend everything that is pathetic about our athletic program! RV sucks. Dodge sucks. They should be producing and they are not! We won Basketball and Tennis championships this year. Woopty do. WKU has destroyed us this year at championship events!

Now you know what I'm fighting against. It's so embedding in this culture here in Denton it will be tough to change their paradigm.

For you losers out there, I am fighting for you.

My entire time as a student athlete at NT, all I saw was RV taking away from other programs so that the football program could succeed (funds, athlete numbers, marketing,etc.). It made me sick while I was competing and it is making me even sicker now. He should get out of this mess and tend to his crazy kid and family.

So RV took all the money from other sports like.... building a softball stadium for women's softball, building a tennis complex for the tennis team. I would say that we have several successful sports besides basketball - golf, tennis is improving, softball is improving, etc. At every football home game, there are promotions for other teams. They offer free tickets to soccer games following a home game if you bring in your football ticket. I listen to KNTU often on my way home from work, and there's always coverage for whatever sports teams are playing.

We're actually competing fairly well in the fan department, despite our lackluster football performance on the field. We had a great showing for the Rice game, and we manage to draw decently for each season - and much of that is because of the tailgating atmosphere that RV and his staff have created. I've been going to games since 2002 - have missed only one home game in that span - and can tell you that the gameday experience is VASTLY improved.

I don't understand how you think that because RV wanted to fire Dickey after 0-5 that means RV doesn't know how to hire a coach. Everyone wanted RV to fire Dickey after that start, except an influential donor and one of the BOR. And that's why Dickey stayed. Sometimes, an athletic director's options are limited by what he is allowed to do through the administration and other pressures. RV took a risk in hiring Dodge - we knew it, and he knew it. It was a gamble he was hoping would pay off, and since the guy had an endorsement from Bill Parcels, it's not hard to see why you might think you've got something. The sad fact is, until recently, North Texas simply did not have the money to lure most of the proven success coaches. I think Dodge only makes $300K per year, or something like that. Most of your bigtime program coaches make $1 million or more.

I wasn't a student on campus for this second attempt at getting the athletic fee passed. But I was on campus for the first. I can tell you that RV personally went to every residence hall that would have him, promoting the fee, answering questions, and encouraging students to vote. He worked very hard, and unfortunately due to some misinformation spread by the opposition, the fee didn't pass. I'm disappointed in my fellow students that we weren't able to push it through. But RV learned an important lesson through that attempt, which was that in order for the fee to pass, it had to be completely endorsed by the students. I can't vouch for RV's involvement personally in the second attempt, but based on the lessons learned from the previous athletic fee bill, my guess is that he wasn't simply sitting on his laurels just hoping the athletic fee would pass. There are those on this board who were instrumental in getting it passed - perhaps they can speak more accurately about RV's involvement.

But the bottom line is this: RV's dream when he took over the AD job in 2001 was to build a new stadium. That man has worked tirelessly despite the many naysayers and obstacles in his path. He's not perfect, but he's been a great AD for all of athletics, and a great ambassador for this school.

• Upvote 4

Wait... in your first post you bemoaned the lack of success in our other athletic events, and about how the athletic department took money away from other sports. We're not going to win every championship for every sport every year. But despite the successes we've had with Tennis and Basketball this year, you're saying they're worthless?

Just out of curiosity since you brought it up in your first post, what sport did you play at North Texas, and for how long?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1