Ok...all Of This Talk About Firing Dodge

NCMeanGreen

There were actually a handful of people who predicted a loss to Rice. We'll see when the Army prediction thread pops up if that number goes up or down. I don't think we lose to Army either.

I predicted we'd beat them both...handily. And, if my tea leaves a right, I still think the defense can stop the option this weekend.

My only concern is that whatever good the defense does, it may be undone by crappy special teams play and questionable play calling in key situations.

I predicted we'd beat them both...handily. And, if my tea leaves a right, I still think the defense can stop the option this weekend.

My only concern is that whatever good the defense does, it may be undone by crappy special teams play and questionable play calling in key situations.

Now I get it. You've been off the schizophrenia meds for the last 6 months.

Sure, ignore the facts. I just don't see how this gets done with all the mounting injuries. I don't think aby thought out response would call for his head at this point. But, if there is not a winning record in the next three games, RV should be looking through his rolladex.

Plumm, yes RV went on record on a podcast with Harry right after last season and said 7 wins or else. TD has repeated the same thing in several interviews and said he wouldn't have it any other way.

What facts are I ignoring. RV should have had a list of coaching candidates last year and should be keeping it updated, but that has nothing to do with calling for a firing during the first third of the season. Geez, even the most naive of football fans knew that Dodge was going to have a very difficult time retaining his job, the first three years kind of gave you a hint. Having say that, he has lost two games this year in which the team has given great effort and has ten to go. Odds are again, NT can not turn it around with the outlandish array of injuries, but there are going to be a lot of foolish looking fans if the team does start winning. Even with the injuries this is the most experienced and talented team that NT has had since its last championship. If they don't give up like many of their fans, I think they will do well in the Belt. This team could be a very good defensive team and if Thompson can stay healthy; the offense should be fine. The special teams are a disaster so improvement to mediocracy would a substantial boost.

• Upvote 1

What facts are I ignoring. RV should have had a list of coaching candidates last year and should be keeping it updated, but that has nothing to do with calling for a firing during the first third of the season. Geez, even the most naive of football fans knew that Dodge was going to have a very difficult time retaining his job, the first three years kind of gave you a hint. Having say that, he has lost two games this year in which the team has given great effort and has ten to go. Odds are again, NT can not turn it around with the outlandish array of injuries, but there are going to be a lot of foolish looking fans if the team does start winning. Even with the injuries this is the most experienced and talented team that NT has had since its last championship. If they don't give up like many of their fans, I think they will do well in the Belt. This team could be a very good defensive team and if Thompson can stay healthy; the offense should be fine. The special teams are a disaster so improvement to mediocracy would a substantial boost.

not sure I are gagree......in fact I think I are disgagreeing

• Upvote 1

wondering aloud how many times people have called for the coaches head after a win, then imploring everyone to ignore the fact that this coach has won exactly 5 times in 38 games.

Special teams / defense will be this team's demise or Salvation. Right now it looks much closed to demise. 1-4 with ganes left against Troy, MTSU, and K St mean it's time to start the private search

• Upvote 1

wondering aloud how many times people have called for the coaches head after a win, then imploring everyone to ignore the fact that this coach has won exactly 5 times in 38 games.

Special teams / defense will be this team's demise or Salvation. Right now it looks much closed to demise. 1-4 with ganes left against Troy, MTSU, and K St mean it's time to start the private search

My point is that RV should have been in search mode last year and that should be continued. However, I don't think any coaching decision is going to be made until after NT is eliminated from the Belt race. I would not fire Dodge, assuming he has another bad year, until his successor is signed, and if I were AD I would do everything I could to have a new coach signed before season end. Firing Dodge before a successor is hired or year end makes no sense. Based on RV's record; he is not going to make any hasty decisions but I sure hope that he already has a good list of coaching candidates.

First I support TD as long as he is the HC at NT and I will always pull for the NT Team regardless of sport. Second I trust RV's decisions as evident by the recent hires in coaches. The only one other coach that has not yet produced other than TD is SS the women's BB coach. Third all the NT Athletic Teams have overall improved not only athletically but also academically.

RV was given a new contract and sizable increase in salary and why? Because he produced!!!!

Therefore it is up to RV and he is being paid as the AD to make the hiring and firing of NT coaches.

All that said I sincerely hope that TD can turn it around and win 7 games because he has brought in quality young men and that reflects well on NT especially in the academic area and in the community.

• Upvote 1

That new stadium going up across the highway and that student fee are changing this dark past.

No more excuses. If it comes to it, hire and pay a real FBS head football coach.

I find it pathetic that we had to lean on the students to fund the program while disguising it as going completely to the stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I find it pathetic that we had to lean on the students to fund the program while disguising it as going completely to the stadium.

Says the guy that is happy with 4 wins a year by the football program... I kid, I kid

In the immortal and unintelligible words of Crackhead Ron "That the way UNT athletics go"

Who do you think as been funding the athletic programs for decades? Where do think all those institutional transfers come from? All programs but the richest are funded heavily by students and/or state funds. Even many of the top programs are increasingly drawing from student coffers to stay in the athletic arms race. Obviously, this is especially true for lower tier teams that don't get significant conference or tv revenues. Don't know what your point about disguising the use of students funds is, if anything by having an designated athletic fee they have illuminated the use of students funds for sports.

I would love NT to have a fully self sustaining athletic department , that would be great but only a handful of the most high profile programs can do that. I do not have an issue with the use of student fees for athletic purposes primarily because the costs are known and every student has a choice between schools. They can go to a school with very limited athletics or a powerhouse like UT that do not rely on fees. The facts are that even with the increased fees, NT is still is competitive on a cost basis with most universities and no one is forced to enroll.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1