Ok...all Of This Talk About Firing Dodge

NCMeanGreen

At my age (near 60) one begins to sound like a broken, uh, CD?

I still defer to the SBC "2'nd season" which saved another UNT coach's job when he won that league's 1'st conference championship (with even 1 SBC loss vs. ULM) and the Mean Green then went to the Big Easy with a 5 & 6 season. You do not fire a coach who has taken his team to a bowl game--even in his 4'th year at 5 & 6 and FWIW...DD did not have his 1'st above .500 year until his 5'th year at UNT then his next 2 were over .500 with his last 2 well under .500. IMO, Coach Dodge (or any coach for that matter) deserves no less treatment if he pulls this thing off a la a similar scenario to our 2001 season.

NOTE: Even if we lost at FAU, it is still mathmatically possible for UNT to win the SBC if other contenders are beating up on each other. Thats what sorta' happened in 2001.

Come on, folks, give it a break until at least half way thru the SBC season and then if the situation is dire with Dodge's wins and losses, eat your heart out and go for it with these threads non-stop!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

At my age (near 60) one begins to sound like a broken, uh, CD?

I still defer to the SBC "2'nd season" which saved another UNT coach's job when he won that league's 1'st conference championship (with even 1 SBC loss vs. ULM) and the Mean Green then went to the Big Easy with a 5 & 6 season. You do not fire a coach who has taken his team to a bowl game--even in his 4'th year at 5 & 6 and FWIW...DD did not have his 1'st above .500 year until his 5'th year at UNT then his next 2 were over .500 with his last 2 well under .500. IMO, Coach Dodge (or any coach for that matter) deserves no less treatment if he pulls this thing off a la a similar scenario to our 2001 season.

NOTE: Even if we lost at FAU, it is still mathmatically possible for UNT to win the SBC if other contenders are beating up on each other. Thats what sorta' happened in 2001.

Come on, folks, give it a break until at least half way thru the SBC season and then if the situation is dire with Dodge's wins and losses, eat your heart out and go for it with these threads non-stop!

GMG!

I do not know of another major college in the country that gives its coaches 4-5 years to get their act together. If we continue with that strange and unprecedented tradition, we'll never get anywhere. If it is going to take a coach that long to win, then he is doing the school more harm than good. But, I do agree that we need to see how he does with Army and in the conference before pulling the trigger. But, how can anyone justify his tenure if he doesn't do it by then????

I do not know of another major college in the country that gives its coaches 4-5 years to get their act together. If we continue with that strange and unprecedented tradition, we'll never get anywhere. If it is going to take a coach that long to win, then he is doing the school more harm than good. But, I do agree that we need to see how he does with Army and in the conference before pulling the trigger. But, how can anyone justify his tenure if he doesn't do it by then????

Most new coaches get at least 4 years so they can win or lose with their recruits.

Of course, you hire some coaches who git'er done their first year and we seem to can't find that at UNT save Fry's first year when he tied for the Missouri Valley Conference football title. Had their been a jillion bowls during the Fry era, we probably would have had 3 or 4 bowl teams--but :rolleyes: I still think Coach Fry would have taken the Iowa/Big 10 job. It's just the nature of these guys to move up the NCAA totem pole and you can't blame them.

GMG!

NO, you don't fire Coach Dodge if we lose to Army. The mandate from RV was to win seven, or so everyone on the board seems to think. So, the idea that you even consider firing your head coach with the possibility of seven wins remaining and before you even get into conference play is pretty lame.

I understand the frustration after the last few losing seasons and some blowout losses. It gets old and gets tough to hang in with the program. I get that, but I also believe in honoring contracts and agreements. Yes, even in college athletics and even if only one side seems to think contracts and agreements are meant to be honored. This isn't some video game or TV drama where everyone walks away happy and all the "good guys" aren't really hurt, this is the real deal. In the "real deal" one honors their word...well, the ones with character and dignity do at least.

GOOD LUCK COACH DODGE and Co. BEAT ARMY!!!!!

• Upvote 1

NO, you don't fire Coach Dodge if we lose to Army. The mandate from RV was to win seven, or so everyone on the board seems to think. So, the idea that you even consider firing your head coach with the possibility of seven wins remaining and before you even get into conference play is pretty lame.

I understand the frustration after the last few losing seasons and some blowout losses. It gets old and gets tough to hang in with the program. I get that, but I also believe in honoring contracts and agreements. Yes, even in college athletics and even if only one side seems to think contracts and agreements are meant to be honored. This isn't some video game or TV drama where everyone walks away happy and all the "good guys" aren't really hurt, this is the real deal. In the "real deal" one honors their word...well, the ones with character and dignity do at least.

GOOD LUCK COACH DODGE and Co. BEAT ARMY!!!!!

And is the "7" win deal for real or just a GMG.com urban tale? :huh:

BEAT ARMY!

I don't care if Dodge is fired or not. I was 100% for his hiring. Yes, I did question why he was retained for another year but said I would honor RV's decision. Still do. I would love nothing more than to see him succeed here at UNT.

Last Saurday night we had a bad game. We made too many mistakes but so did Rice.I knew this would be a very tough, physical game and unkike others did not see this as cake walk.

But the bottom line is, we were winning this game dispite the mistakes and poor play. We weren't being blown out.

When our offense took the field, the ball on our on two yard line, 98 yards of open green, nursing a small lead with time running out our kids where totally unprepared for that scenario. They and the coaching staff were completely and totally lost.

We should have practiced that same scenario at least 50 times in Spring and Fall ball against our defense and any formation they could have thrown at us. Thats called coaching

Yes, I understand the fear of being called for holding in the endzone on a pass play, but the coaches should have drilled all players to the point that they knew and understood the consequences.

When our offense ran onto the field they were already defeated. The coaching staff lacked the confidence in our players, the players lacked the confidence in themselves and all because the the coaches had failed to prepare them for just this exact possiblity.

Thats when and how we lost the game. Is that Dodge's fault? The offensive coordinator's fault? The kids fault?

• Upvote 2

I don't care if Dodge is fired or not...When our offense ran onto the field they were already defeated. The coaching staff lacked the confidence in our players, the players lacked the confidence in themselves and all because the the coaches had failed to prepare them for just this exact possiblity.

Thats when and how we lost the game. Is that Dodge's fault? The offensive coordinator's fault? The kids fault?

As my mom would say, "IT'S EVERYBODY'S FAULT. NOW, PIPE DOWN OR I'LL WHIP EVERYONE OF YA."

GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT ARMY!

I don't care if Dodge is fired or not. I was 100% for his hiring. Yes, I did question why he was retained for another year but said I would honor RV's decision. Still do. I would love nothing more than to see him succeed here at UNT.

Last Saurday night we had a bad game. We made too many mistakes but so did Rice.I knew this would be a very tough, physical game and unkike others did not see this as cake walk.

But the bottom line is, we were winning this game dispite the mistakes and poor play. We weren't being blown out.

When our offense took the field, the ball on our on two yard line, 98 yards of open green, nursing a small lead with time running out our kids where totally unprepared for that scenario. They and the coaching staff were completely and totally lost.

We should have practiced that same scenario at least 50 times in Spring and Fall ball against our defense and any formation they could have thrown at us. Thats called coaching

Yes, I understand the fear of being called for holding in the endzone on a pass play, but the coaches should have drilled all players to the point that they knew and understood the consequences.

When our offense ran onto the field they were already defeated. The coaching staff lacked the confidence in our players, the players lacked the confidence in themselves and all because the the coaches had failed to prepare them for just this exact possiblity.

My biggest problem with that whole series of plays was the 3rd and 2 option read. Give it to DUNBAR!!!! I understand the surprise factor, but you are supposed to surprise Rice - not your own fans.

Plumm,

Your point and - um, memory :) - is noted. I think the argument against that is at some point we need to have a standard above what DD was held to.

I totally agree that Dodge needs to be respected until the end of the season. I do not think I am on board with 4 years of 2-win seasons.

I am sure glad I am not in RV's position.

I don't understand why some of you guys seem to be more protective of Dodge than you are of the football program itself. I don't think those that are stating that Dodge needs to find a new job are so much against having Dodge as a coach as they are for having pride in the school. Personally, I think Dodge needs to pull a 180 ASAP or he should not come back to play in the new stadium. It is nothing against him. He seems like a great man and I have been behind him the entire time he has been head coach and will be until he is not here. But for the good of the school, I think some things should change.

Let's not let our love of Dodge get in the way of the pride we have for our school.

I don't understand why some of you guys seem to be more protective of Dodge than you are of the football program itself. I don't think those that are stating that Dodge needs to find a new job are so much against having Dodge as a coach as they are for having pride in the school. Personally, I think Dodge needs to pull a 180 ASAP or he should not come back to play in the new stadium. It is nothing against him. He seems like a great man and I have been behind him the entire time he has been head coach and will be until he is not here. But for the good of the school, I think some things should change.

Let's not let our love of Dodge get in the way of the pride we have for our school.

This is a fine line to walk, because when someone is employed by your school, even though they may not be an alum, they are a part of your school and they represent your school. So, you should get behind them. Right?

However, I believe you're right that we should not put a person over the welfare of the school. I think alot of people at Tech did this after Leach gave their school a black eye.

Are we going to have these fire Dodge posts after every game or only the ones NT lose? (Refrain from the games played and losses could be the same comments)

With the ever mounting injuries to this team, wins will be even more difficult to get, but why not use some sanity and at least hold off the fire Dodge comments till NT is mathematically eliminated from the Belt race? I know DD's resurrection after the ULM defeat is well chronicled but also remember that NT won very few oc games during their 4 straight Belt championships.

I don't know if anyone is looking at the other Belt teams but no one is unbeatable. The favorites are limping along with the MUTS looking very beatable without their QB and Troy who looked good against Okie State, losing to a Minnesota team that just got beat by a fc division school.

Are we going to have these fire Dodge posts after every game or only the ones NT lose? (Refrain from the games played and losses could be the same comments)

With the ever mounting injuries to this team, wins will be even more difficult to get, but why not use some sanity and at least hold off the fire Dodge comments till NT is mathematically eliminated from the Belt race? I know DD's resurrection after the ULM defeat is well chronicled but also remember that NT won very few oc games during their 4 straight Belt championships.

I don't know if anyone is looking at the other Belt teams but no one is unbeatable. The favorites are limping along with the MUTS looking very beatable without their QB and Troy who looked good against Okie State, losing to a Minnesota team that just got beat by a fc division school.

Sure, ignore the facts. I just don't see how this gets done with all the mounting injuries. I don't think aby thought out response would call for his head at this point. But, if there is not a winning record in the next three games, RV should be looking through his rolladex.

Plumm, yes RV went on record on a podcast with Harry right after last season and said 7 wins or else. TD has repeated the same thing in several interviews and said he wouldn't have it any other way.

I do not know of another major college in the country that gives its coaches 4-5 years to get their act together.

Can you think of any that have had so many coaches D1A careers killed at their school? We take projects because that is what we can get to date. As someone said, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Can you think of any that have had so many coaches D1A careers killed at their school? We take projects because that is what we can get to date. As someone said, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

That new stadium going up across the highway and that student fee are changing this dark past.

No more excuses. If it comes to it, hire and pay a real FBS head football coach.

Look at the University of Colorado.