Next Head Coach?

texas51

ANOTHER UT QB with no experience? Me thinks not! :angry:At least we tend to hire people with head coaching experience at the high school level. :D Personally, I hope the next year's coach is TD because that would mean that we have turned this depressing thing around. Some people just have a very L O N G and stubborn learning curve, and hopefully his is something like 38 games. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say NO experience; he has spent the last 10 years at Texas, Alabama, Syracuse, and Rice. That's for the most part big time college football. And he can recruit in Texas.

And since we are all turning into RV's personal accountants, he is making $250,000 a year right now at Texas which I think we can compete with.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say NO experience; he has spent the last 10 years at Texas, Alabama, Syracuse, and Rice. That's for the most part big time college football. And he can recruit in Texas.

And since we are all turning into RV's personal accountants, he is making $250,000 a year right now at Texas which I think we can compete with.

If we make a bold move in bringing in Major Applewhite then we should consider ECU OC Lincoln Riley. He wasn't retained by Tuberville at Texas Tech and he was Leach's protege so he follow Ruffin McNeil to ECU. The offense has done great so far this season.

If we make a bold move in bringing in Major Applewhite then we should consider ECU OC Lincoln Riley. He wasn't retained by Tuberville at Texas Tech and he was Leach's protege so he follow Ruffin McNeil to ECU. The offense has done great so far this season.

I'm down with this.

Can't think of too many Hal Mumme-Leach guys that have failed or done poorly with that system. Wasn't the Baylor HC part of that TTU tree? Dana Holgorsen did well at Houston with Keenum and now is at Okie State.

Might be a little to offensively-oriented for some of you guys though.

Major Applewhite: "Hi <fill in recruit's name>, I'm coach Applewhite, you may remember me growing up as a really good QB who was screwed over by Mack Brown in favor of that perpetual loser Chris Sims. You and your parents were probably big fans of mine growing up (parents are nodding along in agreement). Hey, how would you like to play for me at UNT? We could do big things...."

Lincoln Riley: "Hi <fill in recruit's name>, I'm coach Riley, you may or may not remember me from the few times I was mentioned during the 2010 Alamo Bowl (parents wheels spinning trying to recollect this). How would you like to come play in our new stadium?

Updated List:

Unrealistic:

Steve Kragthorpe - Former Louisville & Tulsa HC

Tommy Bowden - Former Clemson HC

Phillip Fulmer - Former Tennessee HC

Mike Leach - Former Texas Tech. HC

Mel Tjeerdsma - Northwest Missouri St. HC

Mickey Matthews - James Madison HC

Jeff Bower - Former S.Mississippi HC

Iffy:

Major Applewhite - Texas Asst.

Bill Callahan - Former Nebrask HC

Bryan Harsin - Boise St. Asst.

Dennis Franchione - Former New Mexico, TCU, Alabama, Texas A&M HC

Realistic:

Trooper Taylor - Auburn Asst.

Chris Thomsen - Abilene Christian HC

Lance Thompson - Tennessee Asst.

Lincoln Riley - ECU Asst.

• Upvote 1

This entire post reeks of "everyone knows that [insert fuzzy fact here]"

Aside from a few people seriously holding a grudge against Todd, the evidence (posts) points to people unhappy with Dodge's performance. They think it is time for him to go.

Also, for the sake of the new people on the board, I'll repeat an already oft-repeated position on the subject:

Being unofficial as it is, and asserting itself as a 'fan' board posters aren't charged with maintaining the morale of the team, coaches, administration, recruits, parents of players/recruits etc.

The football team is a pastime. A money-making behemoth pastime. Maybe even a vessel for old men to live vicariously through. Officially it is just part of the University Athletics program.

If Todd Dodge and RV can't handle criticism they are in the wrong business, dude. TD knows the deal. If he wins he gets deified. He's already tasted some of that. Everyone kissed his ass at Southlake.

And now he knows what happens if he scrubs it up. It is a high-stakes game popularity-wise, bruh.

So all these posts calling for his head? Keep 'em coming. It's part of the entertainment of being a fan.

I've said all along Todd Dodge will handle this better (job or no job) than most posters calling for his a$$. It is the entertainment business, but if this was about you, I'd bet you'd stop calling it so entertaining.

Many of us called for DD's firing based on his cumulative record in 9 years, his last few years of less than stellar recruiting (sorry, TDodge) and other things going on of whose theme was extreme discipline problems and some of the damn'dest stories told me by a couple of UNT Campus Police which took place DD's last 2 years--mostly player related. So we've all played a part in this North Texas coach-a-thon thing and you're right--its just what happens on these college sports smack boards.

Before I die I'd like to see UNT emulate something similar to what happened in my junior year of 1975. I sorta' wish Fry had never set expectations so high in the 70's because for most of my adult life since I graduated we've not come even close to it and Bottom 25 appearances in bowls didn't do it for most, either (as we all sorta' winked at each other knowing we were no where close to being a Boise State-type program or bowl participant).

FRY! Fry! Fry Em'! FWIW...we've had so many Hayden Fry wanna'be's go thru the NT Athletic Dept. turnstiles that I finally stopped counting. The new stadium going up as I post has been a giant vitamin shot for this alum as I predict it will be for many others who gave this thing up a long, long time ago as we spent year after year on the Mean Green Athletics Program roller coaster. I think Rick V took a terrible job and has made it a good job for his part as AD, but his last true test will be when he has a successful Mean Green football coach with a Top 50 program under his watch--it wasn't the Buick, it may not be the Dodge, but we all want somebody to make it happen up there no matter whose name is on the face.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Updated List:

Unrealistic:

Steve Kragthorpe - Former Louisville & Tulsa HC

Tommy Bowden - Former Clemson HC

Phillip Fulmer - Former Tennessee HC

Mike Leach - Former Texas Tech. HC

Mel Tjeerdsma - Northwest Missouri St. HC

Mickey Matthews - James Madison HC

Jeff Bower - Former S.Mississippi HC

Iffy:

Major Applewhite - Texas Asst.

Bill Callahan - Former Nebrask HC

Bryan Harsin - Boise St. Asst.

Dennis Franchione - Former New Mexico, TCU, Alabama, Texas A&M HC

Realistic:

Trooper Taylor - Auburn Asst.

Chris Thomsen - Abilene Christian HC

Lance Thompson - Tennessee Asst.

Lincoln Riley - ECU Asst.

I love that these guys are broken down into categories.

This is dumb.

antoine_dodson.large.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

... for most of my adult life since I graduated we've not come even close to it and Bottom 25 appearances in bowls didn't do it for most, either (as we all sorta' winked at each other knowing we were no where close to being a Boise State-type program or bowl participant).

Don't crap on Dickey's run. We should be proud of winning a New Orleans Bowl and the Sun Belt for four seasons and having one of the nation's longest conference winning streaks.

Plumm, no one gives a crap what Dodge thinks is entertaining. If I were putting up nine or ten losses a year like he is, I probably wouldn't think it was so fun hearing people calling for my job either. My point is that he signed up for job knowing that was a risk.

Cool list.

Now what?

Q has a good point, too. The cool thing about college sports as opposed to pro sports is that you can directly influence the ability of the school to do stuff. What do I mean? Cash, bruh. Cash.

Donate it and stuff. All that b*tching about the crappy-ass stadium? Whining about lack of funds to give coaches? Wow, if there only was a way to give the school money so they could do that. . .

P.S. -- If you do donate your fair share or whatever, this isn't an invitation to whip it out and see whose is bigger.

I prefer we win our conference and some OOC games. Dickey did the first pretty well until the later years when he was justifiably fired.

AMMENDED THIS POST ON 9/15/2010

Fair enough..

OK.........at the stage and development our football program was post late 1990's, ie, almost that of a poor wayfarin' stranger with no place to call home. And since the Big West went kaput (not Dickey's fault, either); anyhooooooooo...in light of the fact that the Sun Belt Conference would be our reluctant to many on this board home so therefore...........

.............In Praise of Darrell Dickey B) Those NO Bowls were very, very, very positive things for our school even though our "in conference" competition was not of the highest caliber (and that also "NOT" Darrell Dickey's fault, either). He had nothing to do with what conference we would finally call home and if he'd had a choice, I would have wagered back then that he would have probably wanted a higher profile league (since he was a former Big 8 QB at Kansas State).

The upside of those bowl games were the pricele$$ national publicity it gave our team and school. DD gets more credit for that, too. I would say there are people in New England & along the eastern seaboard who now know about North Texas because of those 4 New Orleans Bowl appearances. Albeit during those appearances UNT was not at least a Top 50 team (which was my main concern), but still it was one helluva' attention-getter for our team and our alma mater.

At the time, I really thought DD would gain a higher profile job after that bowl run. The stars were just not aligned correctly or........the right grouping of schools simply had no HFC vacancies for that to have happened for DD during that time he could have improved himself professionally. I think his last few years at UNT were agonizing not just because he was receiving in his last 2 years what TDodge is getting now, but because he didn't get expected HFC job offers which I think became such a downer for him personally that that may have led to his health problems. (Medical experts say such things in a person's life can affect one's health--his cigarette smoking did not help, either, but I cannot say anything about that).

YET........my main problem with that era and the situation which arose with Coach Dickey was...........we just did not take any of those 4 year-in-a-row bowl positives to the next level in a similar way former Big West Conference-mate Boise State (my forever model for UNT) had done after their numerous bowl appearances.

Without a doubt, we all (from every era) love our alma mater and we all want her to succeed albeit we do have our hot sports opinions of how we can get her to the top! That (to me) is also a positive. Our country became the greatest in world history because of civilized civil servants screaming at each other until they got it right! :lol:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm not one of the UNT fans who hates playing in the Sun Belt. The southeast is a good region to build a conference in. I'm content for us to play in the Belt forever unless a can't-say-no offer comes along.

I'm disappointed that Dickey's run didn't lead to better success, but that's why they play the game. Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether you win. Dodge knows he needs seven wins to continue coaching here.

Hindsight being what it is, DD shouldn't have been fired mid-season just put on notice for the next season and forced to get a new OC.

I'm on the record saying the SMU win should have been enough to avoid getting the ax mid-year.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't make in college.

-That he couldn't bring in college level assistants.

-That the high school spread won't work in college, because we would have the talent disparity to make it work.

-The richest 10 school districts win 50% of all the UIL awards, because they have talent advanced from things like more coaching, summer camps, and select leagues, not because of superior coaching.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't coach a game in the new stadium.

And now for one more thing I'll be right about. This board shouldn't pick the next coach.

Your the same fools that clamored for the worst coach in school history and called for the head of the guy that brought four consecutive conference championships the week after his heart attack.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Hindsight being what it is, DD shouldn't have been fired mid-season just put on notice for the next season and forced to get a new OC.

I'm on the record saying the SMU win should have been enough to avoid getting the ax mid-year.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't make in college.

-That he couldn't bring in college level assistants.

-That the high school spread won't work in college, because we would have the talent disparity to make it work.

-The richest 10 school districts win 50% of all the UIL awards, because they have talent advanced from things like more coaching, summer camps, and select leagues, not because of superior coaching.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't coach a game in the new stadium.

And now for one more thing I'll be right about. This board shouldn't pick the next coach.

Your the same fools that clamored for the worst coach in school history and called for the head of the guy that brought four consecutive conference championships the week after his heart attack.

I have to admit, you've got a pretty good track record there, Nostradamus. What's your prediction on a Head Coach? One more question, did you like Sam Jackson as Shaft? I loved the new movie.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1