Next Head Coach?

texas51

If Dabo Swinney is only getting $800,000 to coach Clemson, why would you assume that Tommy Bowden or the other coaches I named will require $2 million?

Three letters. B-C-S.

Oh and this website says he makes $1 mill a yr.

Where would you expect us to move up to in the ranking of the only 120 FBS schools? High eightys/Low ninetys?

Edited by Cr1028

If Dabo Swinney is only getting $800,000 to coach Clemson, why would you assume that Tommy Bowden or the other coaches I named will require $2 million? I think we overestimate what some of these coaches would require. A few of them are still in demand enough to draw salaries and schools beyond UNT's reach. But some others might be more available than you think. Who would have predicted Larry Coker would take UTSA?

I'm sure that Tommy's brother Terry, who is the head football coach at North Alabama, makes less. He has a better winning percentage than Tommy and was 11-2 last year, his first year back.

True, but if UTSA could open with Larry Coker there's no reason to assume UNT has to settle for high school coaches and obscure FBS assistants. There are only around 120 head coaching jobs in FBS college football. A big name who is tired of being out of the game might look at the new stadium and the softness of the Sun Belt and think he could do something in Denton.

If you read this article, you will see that Larry Coker sought out UTSA, UTSA didn't seek him.

If you read this article, you will see that Larry Coker sought out UTSA, UTSA didn't seek him.

That should prove to people that some recognizable names with FBS head coaching experience might be eager to come to Denton. The job ain't the most attractive in FBS, but it's a hell of a lot better than what Coker's looking at in San Antonio at the moment.

Edited by rcade

It will be Jeff Bower if RV can get him to move to Dallas. I think his wife is from Dallas. But they have a few extremely good personal reasons to stay in H'burg area. If not Bower, then I look for Kragthorpe to be the new HC. Both are solid choices but I do not look for them to be popular choices with the fans of GoMeanGreen.com.

Good luck this year I will make it to a couple of games.

I think people on the board would love for Bower or Kragthorpe to come here. At this point...just about anybody with legitimate college coaching experience is better than what is trotted out there right now.

Major Applewhite.

ANOTHER UT QB with no experience? Me thinks not! :angry:At least we tend to hire people with head coaching experience at the high school level. :D Personally, I hope the next year's coach is TD because that would mean that we have turned this depressing thing around. Some people just have a very L O N G and stubborn learning curve, and hopefully his is something like 38 games. :rolleyes:

Some people just don't get that there are only 120 of these jobs in America. Don't think that money is always the #1 motivating factor for these guys. Some have already had a big money contract and simply want to lead a program, They damn sure won't do it for free, but I think we could land a certain former FBS coach who has been out of football for one season if we came up with 500k a year, and that should be doable.

Some people just don't get that there are only 120 of these jobs in America. Don't think that money is always the #1 motivating factor for these guys. Some have already had a big money contract and simply want to lead a program, They damn sure won't do it for free, but I think we could land a certain former FBS coach who has been out of football for one season if we came up with 500k a year, and that should be doable.

Again, we have no present opening for a HFC at North Texas and I know you are speculating but...

...if you're talking about Mike Leach, last I heard he still has a lawsuit pending toward the state of Texas (and I stand to be corrected on that) but IMO no Texas university with any degree of intellect would touch that situation the way it stands now, especially a public university in the Lone Star State. A school like UNT doesn't need to get on the wrong side of the Texas political scene, especially since we are trying for Tier 1 status?

Coach Leach was said to be unhappy in Lubbock and was trying to get out of RedRaiderLand right before his teams had their sudden national (Top 10) success, then he gets into a bru-haha with his Tech Prez' and Board of Regents who had instructed him to follow certain procedure on the big mess he created with Craig James' (of Celina) son and Coach Leach refused to follow what his bosses did not ask him to do but told him to do, yada, yada, yada...........

......Leach's talent as an X's & O's coach are unquestioned, but his ability to obey the people who hired him is public knowledge so the question remains......does UNT take a huge gamble with that kind of hire? Maybe so--maybe not but I am almost certain that our *Holy Tribunal (which I fondly call our Prez, AD and Hired Gun Consultant, ie, Chuck Neinas with high regard and "no" sarcasm mean't at all); yet, I don't think they will be consulting with any of us for our opinions on Mike Leach or anyone if the time comes for us to hire another coach. I personally don't think they would touch Coach Mike with a 10 foot poll since their own judgement could eventually be questioned in hiring such a known maverick.

* Actually, I will add that North Texas AD Rick Villarreal would be the main cog in the wheel of the tribunal in hiring a new coach, but I'm sure he would be asking the other 2 of their opinions on the matter as well. Rick V has some pretty good coaching contacts in the NCAA and his coupled with Consultant Chuck Neinas would probably come up with a pretty fair candidate but...

...if Todd Dodge and his team emulate our 2001 team and march thru the SBC and then a bowl invite to the Big Easy, all of this discussion become a rather moot point. That is why these "change the coach" kind of threads may want to be delayed until the SBC conference season is at least half over before. Many of us are still pulling for TDodge and his Mean Green football team to repeat the history of our 2001 season when there was a pretty, cool 12'th hour come-back.

BEAT ARMY!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Someone more inspirational. Maybe this guy?

Absolutely! We'd also get all of Pacino's syndicate friends on the Mean Green Bandwagon! And that could mean a re-tractable dome for our New Stadium @ The Mean Green Village. :rolleyes: Of course, the means of how such funds would be raised for that would be as questionable as those which are being raised for a certain building at America's Sacred Place near Ground Zero. Bring it! :ph34r::rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Updated List:

Unrealistic:

Steve Kragthorpe - Former Louisville & Tulsa HC

Tommy Bowden - Former Clemson HC

Phillip Fulmer - Former Tennessee HC

Mike Leach - Former Texas Tech. HC

Mel Tjeerdsma - Northwest Missouri St. HC

Mickey Matthews - James Madison HC

Iffy:

Jeff Bower - Former S.Mississippi HC

Major Applewhite - Texas Asst.

Bill Callahan - Former Nebrask HC

Bryan Harsin - Boise St. Asst.

Realistic:

Trooper Taylor - Auburn Asst.

Chris Thomsen - Abilene Christian HC

Lance Thompson - Tennessee Asst.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Again, we have no present opening for a HFC at North Texas and I know you are speculating but...

...if you're talking about Mike Leach, last I heard he still has a lawsuit pending toward the state of Texas (and I stand to be corrected on that) but IMO no Texas university with any degree of intellect would touch that situation the way it stands now, especially a public university in the Lone Star State. A school like UNT doesn't need to get on the wrong side of the Texas political scene, especially since we are trying for Tier 1 status?

Coach Leach was said to be unhappy in Lubbock and was trying to get out of RedRaiderLand right before his teams had their sudden national (Top 10) success, then he gets into a bru-haha with his Tech Prez' and Board of Regents who had instructed him to follow certain procedure on the big mess he created with Craig James' (of Celina) son and Coach Leach refused to follow what his bosses did not ask him to do but told him to do, yada, yada, yada...........

......Leach's talent as an X's & O's coach are unquestioned, but his ability to obey the people who hired him is public knowledge so the question remains......does UNT take a huge gamble with that kind of hire? Maybe so--maybe not but I am almost certain that our *Holy Tribunal (which I fondly call our Prez, AD and Hired Gun Consultant, ie, Chuck Neinas with high regard and "no" sarcasm mean't at all); yet, I don't think they will be consulting with any of us for our opinions on Mike Leach or anyone if the time comes for us to hire another coach. I personally don't think they would touch Coach Mike with a 10 foot poll since their own judgement could eventually be questioned in hiring such a known maverick.

* Actually, I will add that North Texas AD Rick Villarreal would be the main cog in the wheel of the tribunal in hiring a new coach, but I'm sure he would be asking the other 2 of their opinions on the matter as well. Rick V has some pretty good coaching contacts in the NCAA and his coupled with Consultant Chuck Neinas would probably come up with a pretty fair candidate but...

...if Todd Dodge and his team emulate our 2001 team and march thru the SBC and then a bowl invite to the Big Easy, all of this discussion become a rather moot point. That is why these "change the coach" kind of threads may want to be delayed until the SBC conference season is at least half over before. Many of us are still pulling for TDodge and his Mean Green football team to repeat the history of our 2001 season when there was a pretty, cool 12'th hour come-back.

BEAT ARMY!

This entire post reeks of "everyone knows that [insert fuzzy fact here]"

Aside from a few people seriously holding a grudge against Todd, the evidence (posts) points to people unhappy with Dodge's performance. They think it is time for him to go.

Also, for the sake of the new people on the board, I'll repeat an already oft-repeated position on the subject:

Being unofficial as it is, and asserting itself as a 'fan' board posters aren't charged with maintaining the morale of the team, coaches, administration, recruits, parents of players/recruits etc.

The football team is a pastime. A money-making behemoth pastime. Maybe even a vessel for old men to live vicariously through. Officially it is just part of the University Athletics program.

If Todd Dodge and RV can't handle criticism they are in the wrong business, dude. TD knows the deal. If he wins he gets deified. He's already tasted some of that. Everyone kissed his ass at Southlake.

And now he knows what happens if he scrubs it up. It is a high-stakes game popularity-wise, bruh.

So all these posts calling for his head? Keep 'em coming. It's part of the entertainment of being a fan.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My vote goes to an assistant from a well-known school who can recruit who can double as a strong OC or DC.

who ever replaces td must have the same offensive scheme or something simular, otherwise it will take a few more years of looseing to flush out our existing players. i don't know the name of the oc at houston, but he would be high on my list. they have shown an ability to recruit texas players and win with an excitihg offense. also, he must be afordable. if we payed dd and td $250,000, then that is what was in the budget. i'm think we probably could afford more at this point, but i don't know how much.for the sake of argument, lets assume we can up the base to $4000,000 x 5 years = $2 million. who can we get for this amount?[ the head coach at sam houston was a finalist for the houston job.]some of the names listed are just not affordable, so if we are going to get real with this exercise, lets eliminate those who are not and expand those who are. i also would eliminate coaches who were fired from their previous job, but thats just me. i tend to compair them with my x-wife.

No to Kragthorpe. I don't remember what he said, but I do remember some disparaging remarks were made. Screw him.

Kragthorpe basically said that UNT didn't have the facilities or the desire to be at the i-a level. Keep in mind, back then, Helwig was the AD, we still were a long way from even contemplating having a new stadium, we were traveling to all parts of the Western US for conference games, and the OOC games were murder. Plus, Kragthorpe's experience at UNT was under Matt Simon, who was delusional at best. If I worked under Helwig and Simon as a coach, trust me, my view of this place wouldn't be very good, either.

I am willing to bet you that his opinion has changed and that he would be open to coming here, assuming that his wife's health situation doesn't preclude him from being a coach again. After all, he had to leave A&M this summer to be with her. He would be a great head coach here, IMO. He had great success at Tulsa and would help with recruiting immediately.

Kragthorpe basically said that UNT didn't have the facilities or the desire to be at the i-a level. Keep in mind, back then, Helwig was the AD, we still were a long way from even contemplating having a new stadium, we were traveling to all parts of the Western US for conference games, and the OOC games were murder. Plus, Kragthorpe's experience at UNT was under Matt Simon, who was delusional at best. If I worked under Helwig and Simon as a coach, trust me, my view of this place wouldn't be very good, either.

That doesn't sound so bad. If Kragthorpe praised UNT's facilities and talked about how he was coming here because we'd proven our desire to succeed in the FBS, he'd win over the fan base immediately.

How many good head coach candidates are there that you believe could make an impact here? We've yet to come up with a list of more coaches than there will be openings at the end of the year. Heck, last time a name bandied about was Jerry Glanville, but I don't see too many clamoring for him after his terrible stint with Portland State.

Fact of the matter is, if they're good, AND you know who they are, so does every other one of those 120 schools, and a good number of those can and will pay $1million plus, and there will be plenty of good openings at the end of the year. Money might not be the #1 factor, but the others that come into play - Conference, Facilities, History, Fan Base - still favor a great number of schools over NT. That's just reality.

I'm not saying to forget Mike Leach talk. I'm just saying you need to have a plan B-Q, because odds are not in your favor for getting a "name" coach.

• Upvote 1

How many good head coach candidates are there that you believe could make an impact here? We've yet to come up with a list of more coaches than there will be openings at the end of the year. Heck, last time a name bandied about was Jerry Glanville, but I don't see too many clamoring for him after his terrible stint with Portland State.

Fact of the matter is, if they're good, AND you know who they are, so does every other one of those 120 schools, and a good number of those can and will pay $1million plus, and there will be plenty of good openings at the end of the year. Money might not be the #1 factor, but the others that come into play - Conference, Facilities, History, Fan Base - still favor a great number of schools over NT. That's just reality.

I'm not saying to forget Mike Leach talk. I'm just saying you need to have a plan B-Q, because odds are not in your favor for getting a "name" coach.

No doubt. I'm also not saying Mike Leach would come here. I have no freaking idea if it is even a possibility. But, unless your AD asks Mike Leach, he will never know, either. I think Leach is a risk that a lot of schools (those that can afford not to) won't take. That leaves us and Leach potentially staring at each other from the stern and stem (??? not a sailor) side of a small row boat wonder who is gonna pick up the oar.

I think people on the board would love for Bower or Kragthorpe to come here. At this point...just about anybody with legitimate college coaching experience is better than what is trotted out there right now.

Bower is too tied down with Hattiesburg. He is a devout fan of both the school and the area. It would be tough (even with his connections with RV) to make that jump to Denton. Just my two cents.