Next Head Coach?

texas51

Realistically looking at the rest of the schedule, Coach dodge will finish 5-7 or 6-6. Which has already been said is not good enough to keep him after this year. The North Texas program is a appealing job for some coaches, because of the location and the brand new stadium that will be ready next year. So who would you bring in to bring back glory to North Texas?

An Alumni?

A FCS Head Coach?

A Former FBS Head Coach?

A Hot Offensive or Defensive Coordinator?

A Assistant With A Good Recruiting Background?

If you had your pick who would you choose?

-Personally i would hire Trooper Taylor from Auburn.

-Solid Position coach with Texas roots. One of the nations best young recruiters. Former Co-Off. Coordinator for Oklahoma St. when Dez Bryant and Kendal Hunter had good seasons. Has coached 1000 yd WR's & RB's.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Either a name FBS coach looking to return to action or a hot offensive or defensive coordinator from a good school. In either case, they need to be good recruiters as well as capable of putting together a quality staff......ie......no high school coach EVER again. We should have learned from the Parker experiment, but obviously UNT officials are very slow learners.

I really don't like the idea of 2-3 more rebuilding years. This team needs to get on a roll, and get on a roll now, so we don't even have to worry about finding a new coach.

That being said, I would go after a Head Coach from either 1-AA or Division 2. Someone who has proven themselves as a head coach at the college level. Maybe a guy like Chris Thomsen from Abilene Christian. They have been a D2 powerhouse over the last few years, and have put more players in the NFL than we have over that period. He has Texas ties and is known for his recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I understand some of you are trying to be funny, but please give me some serious answers. I would like to know what some of you think.

We've played two games. Seems a little harsh to do a big list when Army is 4 days away.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Lesson #1 O Ye On Your 2'nd or 3'rd Post on GMG.com (and welcome BTW):

Don't fire anyone until they're fire-able. Dickey made one of the greatest coaches come-backs in NCAA history when in his own 4'th year (which was under .500) he delayed his own Waterloo.

Now many of us on this board have different interrpretations of his 9 year stay at UNT and I will leave it at that but the lesson learned is at UNT one probably has to wait till the SBC conference season is complete and even going to a bowl game with an under .500 W/L sealed the contract extension deal with Coach Dickey in 2001 and (in fact) gave him what would be an additional 8 years in Denton. If a similar scenario happened with TDodge this Fall & he didn't get an extension that would create a very interesting quandary for our UNT powers that be. Back To Dickey: Yet word was among fellow Nestors at that time (pre-MUTS game) was that AD Rick V was ready to pull the trigger after that game had we lost. That game was the 6'th game in 2001 and after that win we were 1 & 5......the rest is history.

FACT IS: If we have not lost too many starters the rest of the season........."IF" UNT plays offense of the quality they did at Clemson and our Mean Green defense continues to improve post-Rice game, they can win the Sun Belt Conference because (let's face some more facts here): The SBC hardly has anything close to a BCS Bowl-Buster type of a program at this juncture of our 10 year history. If we're still part of the SBC on its 20'th Anniversary I hope we don't have to say the same thing. :(

Whichever UNT HFC we have 5 years from today I hope gets us out of this Bottom 25 quagmire we've been mostly a part of since we regained NCAA D1 criteria in 1994.

Some of us still sorta' like former conference-mate Boise State to be our model in Denton. Why not after what we all saw last Monday night with the Broncos?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Now THATS funny.

lets look at the facts we are 0-2, have lost our starting cb & starting qb. our next 2 games are on the road. 3 of the last 5 games are on the road. We have troy, @ middle tenn and kansas st. in the last 3 of 4 games. the odds are not good. if anymore injuries pile up we might be looking at another 2-10 season or worse. so looking at possible coaching candidates is not a bad thing and your coach having a 5-31 record doesn't give much hope. if you don't want to give a name don't post a comment. i thank all of those who have given serious ideas. so if some of you please give actual ideas. thank you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

lets look at the facts we are 0-2, have lost our starting cb & starting qb. our next 2 games are on the road. 3 of the last 5 games are on the road. We have troy, @ middle tenn and kansas st. in the last 3 of 4 games. the odds are not good. if anymore injuries pile up we might be looking at another 2-10 season or worse. so looking at possible coaching candidates is not a bad thing and your coach having a 5-31 record doesn't give much hope. if you don't want to give a name don't post a comment. i thank all of those who have given serious ideas. so if some of you please give actual ideas. thank you.

Dude, give it up.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Correct. Just because you made a valid points stating the obvious, it will be soundly rejected here. You must be positive and drink the Kool-Aid. :rolleyes:

really have you read other post on here most are negative and talk about giving up, i am talking about a subject that could give us hope next year or the coming years. it is not hard to get good recruits from texas and win 7 or 8 games to get into the sun belt conference hunt. you just need a good head coach who can recruit texas and hire a decent staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If North Texas hires a new coach, I'd like to see us hire a coach with significant FBS experience who would have instant media credibility by virtue of his past jobs. If UTSA could get Larry Coker, SMU June Jones, UCF George O'Leary and Ohio Frank Solich, perhaps UNT could get a Bill Callahan, Tommy Bowden or Phillip Fulmer. That new stadium and the Dallas media market are nice carrots.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2

If North Texas hires a new coach, I'd like to see us hire a coach with significant FBS experience who would have instant media credibility by virtue of his past jobs. If UTSA could get Larry Coker, SMU June Jones, UCF George O'Leary and Ohio Frank Solich, perhaps UNT could get a Bill Callahan, Tommy Bowden or Phillip Fulmer. That new stadium and the Dallas media market are nice carrots.

:pirate:

really have you read other post on here most are negative and talk about giving up, i am talking about a subject that could give us hope next year or the coming years. it is not hard to get good recruits from texas and win 7 or 8 games to get into the sun belt conference hunt. you just need a good head coach who can recruit texas and hire a decent staff.

Seriously. I agree with you but realism just doesn't sell posts here.

Seriously. I agree with you but realism just doesn't sell posts here.

Well, to be fair, was the board really ready for such a ground-breaking thread? A lot of folks are just now taking this question on for the first time.

• Upvote 2

It will be Jeff Bower if RV can get him to move to Dallas. I think his wife is from Dallas. But they have a few extremely good personal reasons to stay in H'burg area. If not Bower, then I look for Kragthorpe to be the new HC. Both are solid choices but I do not look for them to be popular choices with the fans of GoMeanGreen.com.

Good luck this year I will make it to a couple of games.

• Upvote 1

Steve Kragthorpe.

Kragthorpe had some very disparaging words about North Texas (on TV to boot) when asked if he'd be interested in our job before and old fart$ like me don't forget those kind of things when said about our alma mater. :whip::rolleyes:

SUMG (if he reads this) may want to elaborate on Kragthorpe; then again, he may not want to elaborate on Kragthorpe.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen