8 Weeks

shaft

I understand that you aren't happy with where the program is, none of us are either...seriously, I do not like where we are one bit. That does not mean though, that every last shred of optimism needs to be battered down into the ground like a whack-a-mole machine. That kind of takes all the fun out of it, dude.

Yeah, we lost, but I had a hell of a time hanging out with my friends cheering on my school. I think MckinneyMiner said it best in his "Perspective from a New Season Ticket Holder" thread. There is a lot more to all this than just the football game.

How did you have such a good time knowing that we might have turbines at the new stadium?

• Upvote 2

I have to agree with KRAM on this. Last week everyone was giddy and emmitt01 was predicting 8 wins out of this team after our game against Clemson. Rice rolls to town, we start off horribly, kicking game is killing us, without our starting center, a starting DB, essentially our 5th DB and key WR that are all lost for the season, and lost by 1 to a team that hammered us by 50+ a couple of years ago.

Yes, we gave this game away and I'm as frustrated as the next fan, but my goodness, we are only two games into a 12 game season and everyone has given up on this team. Pretty ridiculous at this point, IMHO.

I will always root for the team and have hope but for me it is all about reality setting in. I was very pleased last week because it looked like we were on the way up by playing a pretty good Clemson team throughout the whole game. Rice is terrible and once again it was the same ol same ol. Rice was a key game NT had to win if they had a chance at 7 wins. But after Saturday night, I really think it's going to be the same the rest of the season and we wont win more than 3 or 4 games IMO.

I will always root for the team and have hope but for me it is all about reality setting in. I was very pleased last week because it looked like we were on the way up by playing a pretty good Clemson team throughout the whole game. Rice is terrible and once again it was the same ol same ol. Rice was a key game NT had to win if they had a chance at 7 wins. But after Saturday night, I really think it's going to be the same the rest of the season and we wont win more than 3 or 4 games IMO.

I don't think the Texas Longhorns would say that the Rice Owls were so terrible.

Dodge probably has to win the SBC to keep his job--the same scenario for DD in 2001. Lets just all be patient and see what happens. What the hell else do we have to do anyway?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I think Tasty's point was Kram's misspelling. It was COLD Harbor.

Yes, sorry...hit the wrong key...spell check was no help this time...and, I did mean Cold Harbor, yes that battle!

Edited by KRAM1

I don't think the Texas Longhorns would say that the Rice Owls were so terrible.

Dodge probably has to win the SBC to keep his job--the same scenario for DD in 2001. Lets just all be patient and see what happens. What the hell else do we have to do anyway?

GMG!

We don't have anything else to lose. But it really puzzles me how many on this board think we can still win 6 or 7 games even with the way they played last night. But I guess there is no other solution other than to wait and see.

We don't have anything else to lose. But it really puzzles me how many on this board think we can still win 6 or 7 games even with the way they played last night. But I guess there is no other solution other than to wait and see.

It wasn't that puzzling after how they played against Clemson. What a difference a week makes in the opinion of many.

It wasn't that puzzling after how they played against Clemson. What a difference a week makes in the opinion of many.

While I certainly have not thrown in the towel on the season, the blueprint for a 7-win season included at least splitting the Rice and Army games, if not winning both of them. I didn't think the team looked terrible against Rice (in most aspects), but the math to get to 7 wins just got a lot harder. And I don't see how we can get there if we don't beat Army. And with our mounting injuries it is difficult to see why we should expect to see significant improvement throughout the season. If we play at the same level we did against Rice, where do you find 7 wins?

Remaining games:

Army

FAU

ULL

Arky State

FIU

WKU

Troy

MTSU

ULM

Kansas State

Army may well be better than Rice, but let's just start by predicting a win there because we need it. The following 4 games are toss-ups, so generously give us 2 out of 4. WKU is a win, Troy, MTSU, and K-State are losses. ULM is in the vicinity of a toss-up, so again generously give us the win. Again, based on the assumption that we play at the level we did against Rice--I would love to see significant improvement, but find it hard to expect it--a fairly generous prediction at this point gives us a 5-win season. If we would have won against Rice, finding the additional 6 wins would have been much more conceivable.

While I certainly have not thrown in the towel on the season, the blueprint for a 7-win season included at least splitting the Rice and Army games, if not winning both of them. I didn't think the team looked terrible against Rice (in most aspects), but the math to get to 7 wins just got a lot harder. And I don't see how we can get there if we don't beat Army. And with our mounting injuries it is difficult to see why we should expect to see significant improvement throughout the season. If we play at the same level we did against Rice, where do you find 7 wins?

Remaining games:

Army

FAU

ULL

Arky State

FIU

WKU

Troy

MTSU

ULM

Kansas State

Army may well be better than Rice, but let's just start by predicting a win there because we need it. The following 4 games are toss-ups, so generously give us 2 out of 4. WKU is a win, Troy, MTSU, and K-State are losses. ULM is in the vicinity of a toss-up, so again generously give us the win. Again, based on the assumption that we play at the level we did against Rice--I would love to see significant improvement, but find it hard to expect it--a fairly generous prediction at this point gives us a 5-win season. If we would have won against Rice, finding the additional 6 wins would have been much more conceivable.

I think we win all three games of our "homestand". ULL, Arky State, and FIU. The crowds will get better with each win. I understand I am probaby drinking a big glass of the kool-aid, but at this point optimism is not going to hurt anything.

I think you have to consider the opponent. We clearly looked and played worse against Rice than we did against Clemson. That is why there was really a lot of optimism going forward. But then as always the team regressed and they couldn't close it. It is the same thing every week with stupid penalties, turnovers, giving up big plays and times of our offense being inept. It's clear this team doesn't fear Dodge. Very undisciplined group of players.

I think we win all three games of our "homestand". ULL, Arky State, and FIU. The crowds will get better with each win. I understand I am probaby drinking a big glass of the kool-aid, but at this point optimism is not going to hurt anything.

Before everyone starts counting FIU as a win (how can you do that with any game??), you might want to consider that their defense gave up around 170 yards last week against Rutgers.

I would not expect us to win this game at this point in time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Before everyone starts counting FIU as a win (how can you do that with any game??), you might want to consider that their defense gave up around 170 yards last week against Rutgers.

I would not expect us to win this game at this point in time.

That's 87 yards better than Norfolk State could muster. The real question is how do we compare with Norfolk State? Are we a Florida A&M or simply another Bethune-Cookman?

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

I really didn't get the optimism after that game. The defense gave up 35 points in 18 minutes of possession time, thats 1.94 points per minute. That number did not make me think this team could win 7 games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I really didn't get the optimism after that game. The defense gave up 35 points in 18 minutes of possession time, thats 1.94 points per minute. That number did not make me think this team could win 7 games.

You have to pretty much assume that most are drinking green stuff when they give their predictions....why else would you realistically say that you believe a team who has only won 5 out of their last 38 games, would just turn it around and win 7 out of the next 10?

You have to pretty much assume that most are drinking green stuff when they give their predictions....why else would you realistically say that you believe a team who has only won 5 out of their last 38 games, would just turn it around and win 7 out of the next 10?

BECAUSE WE ARE FANS!!!! THAT IS WHY IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is puzzling alright - this coach hasn't won 7 in 38 tries, but so many think he can win 7 in the next 10. I wonder if that has ever been done?

your signature notes that 5-33 for dodge is like our football version of trilli. i can see that. nice guy, but out of his league. after trilli we hired jj and although it took some building it is now going good. who is our jj of football?