The Riley Dive

eppy4life

Any game where Riley Dodge has more rushing attempts than James Hamilton is a problem game.

I'm not going to dance around this. I've turned around and believed in this thing, but Riley is not the playmaker he was in high school. He's just not.

Stop running him. Just stop. Put the ball, in short distance situations, into the hands of the players who can make the play - namely, Lance Dunbar. If you think the defense will key on Dunbar, play action fake to him and hit a tight end.

But, whatever you do, quit the Riley Dodge charade now. It's maddening. If Mike Canales can't see this, it's not a far leap to put down the green kool aid I've sipped since his hiring and jump back aboard the reality train.

I've had this fantasy that Mike Canales knows what the hell he's doing. I'm now questioning that based on his use of Riley. It's not getting us anywhere. And, this isn't a program that has the time to go nowhere. We've been nowhere for five straight seasons.

I'm also still not seeing the tight ends in the pass game mix. I'm thrilled that they are good blockers in the run game. But...I'm still waiting for this team to show it will use every weapon available in the pass game. If teams know we don't have a serious tight end threat, they will simply free up a linebacker or safety (depending on their defensive scheme) to blitz more or double another receiver.

If Mike Canales can't see these things, we're done. RV...fire up that call list as soon as we hit 0-4.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I know there's someone coming through he fakes the ball to. My question is whether or not that's a read he's making out there to keep it or if the play calls for him to keep it? If it's a read he's making what is he looking at? Pre-snap I assume.

I don't know. From my pov, on that 3rd-and-1 play, Dunbar had the edge if Riley would have gave it to him. He kept it though and ran up the middle. The guard was pulling, so it looked called to me. I'm starting to think that those are not reads at all but I can't be sure.

If they are called -- that is lame considering that Rodge has been running that play for like 10 years.

The issues for this team are the same as they have been for the last 5 years.

31 points should be enough to win a college football game. But if your offense, special teams, and defense cannot execute at a high enough level when they absolutely HAVE TO, then you will lose more often than not.

Does anyone remember a time when UNT was the best defensive team in the SBC, and punter/kicker U?

Those days are over.

UNT should not have lost to Rice, but the game played out pretty much as I expected. High 20's, low 30's type game within a touchdown. I had hoped that the poor special teams play had been addressed, but it just isn't fixed. Still can't get a stop when it absolutely has to happen.

You must be able to convert 3rd and 2. No matter who is carrying the ball. Otherwise, you are getting your ass whipped.

You cannot continually give your opponent the ball on a short field, for whatever reason.

You cannot have kicks blocked every game.

You cannot kick the ball out of bounds on a kickoff.

You cannot net 19 yards on a punt.

You cannot take personal foul penalties on kickoffs.

You cannot illegally block on kickoffs.

You cannot allow a 3rd down conversion of 6 yards with the game on the line.

The team played hard. They made mistakes, and could not, and in the case of the idiotic penalties--did not--execute when they had to. So they lost to a team they were essentially evenly matched with. Mike Canales and his play calling are the least of this team's worries, and he is not going to be this season's savior.

Edited by LongJim

The issues for this team are the same as they have been for the last 5 years.

31 points should be enough to win a college football game. But if your offense, special teams, and defense cannot execute at a high enough level when they absolutely HAVE TO, then you will lose more often than not.

Does anyone remember a time when UNT was the best defensive team in the SBC, and punter/kicker U?

Those days are over.

UNT should not have lost to Rice, but the game played out pretty much as I expected. High 20's, low 30's type game within a touchdown. I had hoped that the poor special teams play had been addressed, but it just isn't fixed. Still can't get a stop when it absolutely has to happen.

You must be able to convert 3rd and 2. No matter who is carrying the ball. Otherwise, you are getting your ass whipped.

You cannot continually give your opponent the ball on a short field, for whatever reason.

You cannot have kicks blocked every game.

You cannot kick the ball out of bounds on a kickoff.

You cannot net 19 yards on a punt.

You cannot take personal foul penalties on kickoffs.

You cannot illegally block on kickoffs.

You cannot allow a 3rd down conversion of 6 yards with the game on the line.

The team played hard. They made mistakes, and could not, and in the case of the idiotic penalties--did not--execute when they had to. So they lost to a team they were essentially evenly matched with. Mike Canales and his play calling are the least of this team's worries, and he is not going to be this season's savior.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time... Special Teams and Defense. The Defense looks better, but still giving up huge plays. The special teams are probably the worst in FBS football, and have been for a while.

Fix it if you want to compete.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time... Special Teams and Defense. The Defense looks better, but still giving up huge plays. The special teams are probably the worst in FBS football, and have been for a while.

Fix it if you want to compete.

It's pretty safe to assume that as long as TD is the head coach, special teams will be a disaster.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Any game where Riley Dodge has more rushing attempts than James Hamilton is a problem game.

I'm not going to dance around this. I've turned around and believed in this thing, but Riley is not the playmaker he was in high school. He's just not.

Stop running him. Just stop. Put the ball, in short distance situations, into the hands of the players who can make the play - namely, Lance Dunbar. If you think the defense will key on Dunbar, play action fake to him and hit a tight end.

But, whatever you do, quit the Riley Dodge charade now. It's maddening. If Mike Canales can't see this, it's not a far leap to put down the green kool aid I've sipped since his hiring and jump back aboard the reality train.

I've had this fantasy that Mike Canales knows what the hell he's doing. I'm now questioning that based on his use of Riley. It's not getting us anywhere. And, this isn't a program that has the time to go nowhere. We've been nowhere for five straight seasons.

I'm also still not seeing the tight ends in the pass game mix. I'm thrilled that they are good blockers in the run game. But...I'm still waiting for this team to show it will use every weapon available in the pass game. If teams know we don't have a serious tight end threat, they will simply free up a linebacker or safety (depending on their defensive scheme) to blitz more or double another receiver.

If Mike Canales can't see these things, we're done. RV...fire up that call list as soon as we hit 0-4.

This sums up EXACTLY the way I feel....just written better than I would have written it....WTF is going on with this program?

I know there's someone coming through he fakes the ball to. My question is whether or not that's a read he's making out there to keep it or if the play calls for him to keep it? If it's a read he's making what is he looking at? Pre-snap I assume.

I have to admit those to nearly identical running plays to Riley just outside the end zone that didn't work were true head scratchers. I could not for the life of me figure out why we had Riley involved in those plays... it is no-brainer that Dunbar, our scoring machine, should be running those in.

I have to admit those to nearly identical running plays to Riley just outside the end zone that didn't work were true head scratchers. I could not for the life of me figure out why we had Riley involved in those plays... it is no-brainer that Dunbar, our scoring machine, should be running those in.

I understand putting Rodge in because of his running ability. But if he never throws the ball? It's like when Philly throws Vick out there. Everyone knows he is out there to run it. Might as well put LD at qb like Rice did on the goal line in the 4th.

As far as reads, usually the quarterback is reading a defensive lineman. Traditionally the defensive end, but sometimes the DT if they do it like Oregon does.

The read is usually going to be the DE. Like others have said, for whatever reason, the passing element is gone when he's out there. If that's the case, give the freaking rock to LD. I've been saying it for a while, playcalling goes through Teflon Todd in some way, shape, or form. That ridiculous 3 & 2 screams that, IMO.

I don't know. From my pov, on that 3rd-and-1 play, Dunbar had the edge if Riley would have gave it to him. He kept it though and ran up the middle.

From the cheap seats, we could see the hole perfectly. It was there on a slight cutback. He couldn't get through it fast enough. It looked like he was tripped up by an arm or two, and then knocked down. Them's the breaks.

+1 - Because that's all the plus points I can give for this post.

I could not for the life of me figure out why we had Riley involved in those plays... it is no-brainer that Dunbar, our scoring machine, should be running those in.

I was listening to George and Hank during the game and they mentioned that Tune had suffered a blow to the chin on that drive and that that may be the reason Riley came in there. Who knows.

I was listening to George and Hank during the game and they mentioned that Tune had suffered a blow to the chin on that drive and that that may be the reason Riley came in there. Who knows.

Really? So, bring in Thompson to hand off the Dunbar...or Hamilton. Anyone else here think the 6-1/220 pound Jeremi Mathis might have been helpful in this situation? Did that kid maybe see some things in the gameplan before he left that we are now seeing on the field?\

Anyway. Saturday is a new day. We'll see how it all shakes out.

From the cheap seats, we could see the hole perfectly. It was there on a slight cutback. He couldn't get through it fast enough. It looked like he was tripped up by an arm or two, and then knocked down. Them's the breaks.

All the more reason to give it to the guy that can get through the hole quicker and with more burst and not get tripped up by an arm or two ya know?

Right. They were saving Thompson for 4th and 14, yet thy let play 1:30 meaningless minutes at Clemson.

If what you say is true, Dodge should be fired on the spot.

Didn't happen

Right. They were saving Thompson for 4th and 14, yet thy let play 1:30 meaningless minutes at Clemson.

If what you say is true, Dodge should be fired on the spot.

Didn't happen

They clearly weren't saving Thompson. He started the first drive of the second quarter. It seemed Tune had some problem throughout the first quarter. Whether that was game inflicted or not, I don't know. The offense sure was in a funk if you ask me. Dunbar saved that drive.

I would believe that Riley came in those early minutes to relieve a "problemed" Tune because Thompson probably wasn't still warmed up. With most of the game left, it makes (a little) sense to throw out Riley to run. If it works, great. If not, you have a bunch of time left. A field goal still makes it a one score game. Thompson started warming with about 5 minutes left in the first and spelled him at the start of the second. Nathan came right back out a couple minutes later. Something was up.

Also, Thompson shows two tackles. What's the deal with that? Special Teams or Jamal Wilson out there with #7 on also?