The Band

the real grad88

It was the first game I have been able to come back to in years, and I have to say that I was VERY impressed with the band. From the size of it to the quality of the sound it was great. The thing that most impressed me was their spirit. When I was a student (I was not in the band), they seemed to be more in it for themselves. School spirit was almost something they consciously avoided. That wasn't what I saw Saturday night. They were awesome in every sense of the word. I can say that for the whole student body. School spirit has found itself at UNT, and I am so proud of that.

• Upvote 4

It was the first game I have been able to come back to in years, and I have to say that I was VERY impressed with the band. From the size of it to the quality of the sound it was great. The thing that most impressed me was their spirit. When I was a student (I was not in the band), they seemed to be more in it for themselves. School spirit was almost something they consciously avoided. That wasn't what I saw Saturday night. They were awesome in every sense of the word. I can say that for the whole student body. School spirit has found itself at UNT, and I am so proud of that.

You know how some people get all up in arms about the football teams uniforms, white helmets and no NT or SOW on the side of those helmets? I get the same feeling when I see our band marching in khaki shorts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they are wearing shorts. It was hot. Down right aboriginal hot. And forcing those kids to wear their wool uniforms would have certainly melted at least a pair of tuba players. But how about we get a little organized and get all of our shorts from the same provider. Let's not have 6 shades of khaki. Let's not have cargo shorts mingling next to flat front dockers. And let's all agree on a hem length. Say what you will about the football teams uniform. Love'em or hate'em, at least they match.

Edited by adman

usually i will agree about the alignment stuff, but i sat near the band and they had juice ALL NIGHT LONG! They were crazy in the stands and observant of the game. They actually enjoy and consider themselves part of the experience. Props to the GB. Thank you for the work you do before and in the stands!!!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I just wish they would stop playing "My Girl." It just screams high school.

The song is "Hey, Baby", and it's not high school, although the harmonica player in the original Bruce Channel release, Delbert McClinton, may have played that part while you were still in high school. It's just kinda one of those things that almost any high school or college marching band plays during a football game.

The song is "Hey, Baby", and it's not high school, although the harmonica player in the original Bruce Channel release, Delbert McClinton, may have played that part while you were still in high school. It's just kinda one of those things that almost any high school or college marching band plays during a football game.

My bad on the song title (can't believe I missed that), but to me and a couple of my friends it's more of a high school thing. In fact, Bruce Channel is a Grapevine High School alum and came back to Grapevine to preform the song live during my senior year at GHS as part of Grapevine's 100 year celebration. He actually wrote the song while still a student at GHS so I love telling people that "Hey, Baby" is Grapevine High's song.

I just wish they would stop playing "My Girl." It just screams high school.

thank you.

or how about the band NOT playing at halftime so we can honor our 2000s football players a little better than we did. that was pretty sad the way that was handled. i could barely see the players on the jumbo-tron and couldn't even make out who all was there.

thank you.

or how about the band NOT playing at halftime so we can honor our 2000s football players a little better than we did. that was pretty sad the way that was handled. i could barely see the players on the jumbo-tron and couldn't even make out who all was there.

This is as un-American as women with hairy armpits. You need to apologize to the Green Brigade and HOPE that they forgive you for this atrocious recommendation.

This is as un-American as women with hairy armpits. You need to apologize to the Green Brigade and HOPE that they forgive you for this atrocious recommendation.

They could've cut their show short to give our lettermen more recognition than that. I'm not saying it's the band's fault, they were just doing what they were told to do. I'm just saying those players deserve more than a half-hearted clap while they're standing on the 20.

They could've cut their show short to give our lettermen more recognition than that. I'm not saying it's the band's fault, they were just doing what they were told to do. I'm just saying those players deserve more than a half-hearted clap while they're standing on the 20.

I know I was on my feet. I saw alot of other people standing and cheering as well.

So you're saying standing on the 50 is more relevant than on the 20?

Or that the audience is gonna clap louder based on their field position?

You know how some people get all up in arms about the football teams uniforms, white helmets and no NT or SOW on the side of those helmets? I get the same feeling when I see our band marching in khaki shorts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they are wearing shorts. It was hot. Down right aboriginal hot. And forcing those kids to wear their wool uniforms would have certainly melted at least a pair of tuba players. But how about we get a little organized and get all of our shorts from the same provider. Let's not have 6 shades of khaki. Let's not have cargo shorts mingling next to flat front dockers. And let's all agree on a hem length. Say what you will about the football teams uniform. Love'em or hate'em, at least they match.

I always found it funny that they were called the "Green Brigade" and were usually dressed in all black.

BTW, if it wasn't made clear, there will be a ceremony at each home game to honor a different decade, going

back a decade for each game.

Maybe there could be a program by the band that incorporates the recognition of athletes of the 90s next game?

There could be a medley of tunes from the 90s or a blockbuster during that decade but dedicate the music of the band and the choreography of the dancers to those lettermen being recognized. Continue a similar theme down to the 50s.

Maybe there could be a program by the band that incorporates the recognition of athletes of the 90s next game?

There could be a medley of tunes from the 90s or a blockbuster during that decade but dedicate the music of the band and the choreography of the dancers to those lettermen being recognized. Continue a similar theme down to the 50s.

this is a great idea! that's what i thought needed to happen. feature the green brigade as they should be featured, but incorporate the lettermen in the show.

I always found it funny that they were called the "Green Brigade" and were usually dressed in all black.

You are likely one that finds it funny that the Mean Green are dressed in all white at away games too, then. Think of it more as a culture rather than a color. ...I don't even know what I meant there. Just go with it.

• 1 month later...