Kntu's Unt Football Coverage

Green Jackal

I try to switch over to KNTU on the drive home to listen to their news program hoping to hear some coverage of UNT football. I have been listening here and there the past couple of weeks and have not heard any mention of the UNT football during their sports coverage at 5:45. Today I thought for sure the evening before the home opener they would at least mention the game. Today they talked about high school football, pro football, baseball, the World Basketball Championship, first round of the PGA tournament, tennis and absolutely nothing about UNT football. Considering that not only is KNTU owned by UNT, but also covers the games, you would think that they would at least mention the game during their sport segment. We can't even get our own radio station to cover the team. Amazing.

And yes, I already sent them an email.

• Upvote 2

I have it on good authority that Fort Worth's Sid Bass has one of this luxury cars radio set on KNTU. He's a big jazz enthusiasts (as I am to a degree).

Congrats on the UNT Symphony Orchestra on Harry's report of a great performance last night at the Cowboys Stadium. If you have never been to one of their on-campus concerts, you are missing a big part of your UNT college experience. Year in and year out they are great ambassadors of UNT--right up there with our internationally acclaimed One O'Clock Lab Band (who during the year we beat the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville were the first ever collegiate "anything" nominated for a Grammy Award (and they've had several nominations since).

1975 was truly a great standard setting year for our school--only wish we would have methodically gone forward with the football aspects of it. :huh:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As far as the lack of coverage, I'm sure the student sportcasters are simply reading copy from a national news/sports wire service. i doubt most even know where Fouts Field is. They are an example of many NT students. They come for the degree and leave without getting a real university experience. I thnk it's sad when a student is "forced" to come to North Texas when they really "want" to go to another school.

GO MEAN GREEN

As far as the lack of coverage, I'm sure the student sportcasters are simply reading copy from a national news/sports wire service. i doubt most even know where Fouts Field is. They are an example of many NT students. They come for the degree and leave without getting a real university experience. I thnk it's sad when a student is "forced" to come to North Texas when they really "want" to go to another school.

Instead of assuming that the students on the KNTU staff are a bunch of people who wish they were at another school, it would be more productive to contact KNTU general manager Russ Campbell and tell him you'd like to hear more UNT football coverage.

He's at russ.campbell@unt.edu. I've had dealings with him before and he's happy to hear from students and alumni.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that it's incredibaly sad (and very annoying) that a College radio station has to be contacted-badgered-nagged about providing coverage for IT'S OWN college football program.

Once again I'll say....North Texas is not looked down upon by the general public because of it's win/loss record, but because of it's NEGATIVE CULTURE REGARDING SPORTS!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Actually most of the people who work at KNTU like UNT athletics. I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of the game against Rice because when I worked there last year we always had write-ups for any North Texas athletic event.

I agree that more could be done in regards to covering UNT athletics, but you have to remember KNTU serves all of DFW so other things will be covered.

Actually most of the people who work at KNTU like UNT athletics. I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of the game against Rice because when I worked there last year we always had write-ups for any North Texas athletic event.

I agree that more could be done in regards to covering UNT athletics, but you have to remember KNTU serves all of DFW so other things will be covered.

No one objects to other things being covered. But to not include your own event - basically to not promote your own broadcast - is just wrong. Still, they are just students and students can and do make mistakes. I hope someone points out they should cover their own teams with a mention - just a mention - in every sportscast.

I think that it's incredibaly sad (and very annoying) that a College radio station has to be contacted-badgered-nagged about providing coverage for IT'S OWN college football program.

Once again I'll say....North Texas is not looked down upon by the general public because of it's win/loss record, but because of it's NEGATIVE CULTURE REGARDING SPORTS!

Just remember that the NT Daily is UNT sports first.. everything else second

Sweet! Nothing like KNTU's Feed to go down before the Game starts! And, what can beat listening to Jazz to pump one up before a big Game?

Man I get sick of UNT alumni bitching about jazz. Having a great jazz station helps further the cause of our world-class College of Music.

Sports Director for KNTU here.

We pay to use Associated Press copy. However, I do understand there is absolutely no excuse for not having a story about NT football on the sportscast. The anchor for Friday's broadcast did not have the original audio from coaches and players. I tell my volunteers to not run a NT story unless we have a Dodge clip and/or player clip. Therefore, if you feel the need to blame anyone for this, don't blame anybody but myself.

Also, we have dramatically increased our coverage of other NT sports for the sportscast. I encourage everyone to tune in at 5:30 each weekday.

Thanks everyone, go Mean Green!

As a KNTU alum, you should have your reporters and anchors writing their own copy if possible. Having audio DOES NOT MATTER, always lead with NT or a significant local story. Ripping and reading is cheap. You are the sports director, you and your staff should be better than that. If the reporters and anchors are so lazy they can't generate original copy, then find someone else who will. Just my advice.

• Upvote 1

Sports Director for KNTU here.

We pay to use Associated Press copy. However, I do understand there is absolutely no excuse for not having a story about NT football on the sportscast. The anchor for Friday's broadcast did not have the original audio from coaches and players. I tell my volunteers to not run a NT story unless we have a Dodge clip and/or player clip. Therefore, if you feel the need to blame anyone for this, don't blame anybody but myself.

Also, we have dramatically increased our coverage of other NT sports for the sportscast. I encourage everyone to tune in at 5:30 each weekday.

Thanks everyone, go Mean Green!

Thank you. Problem solved.

I tell my volunteers to not run a NT story unless we have a Dodge clip and/or player clip.

that makes no sense. quote some stats from both teams previous games or mention what time the mean green march will be. things can be found to make a brief reminder about an upcoming game without a voice clip. a university radio station should always promote the university teams first then the rangers or golf pros scores, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2