The "riley" Gameplan?

El Paso Eagle

Agree...I saw that report from Newy and it made my blood boil. The guy obviously did not do his homework and knew absolutely NOTHING about that game. How in the world that report focused on what it did is beyond belief! I liked Newy and watched his reports fairly often...not so sure any longer. That report SUCKED and Newy came across as having an agenda. Why not show UNT scoring as they did SMU...who also lost in case Newy forgot. I think I need to let Newy know he blew it this time. I'm sure he won't care, but it just sucks! UNT EARNED a better report and some effort on Newy's part. Shame on Channel 5 for this one!

I have a very good friend who works for ESPNDallas and he is a very fair reporter. He likes UNT a lot, even though he is a TCU guy. He tells me all the time that it will take UNT winning the SBC and beating a big name in OOC to get the DFW media to even consider talking seriously about UNT regularly. The history of our program is so sad that most of the old SWC types in the media here have passed on their snobbery to folks like Newy that come here from other locales. You can argue that he is a reproter and should not show bias, but I have oceanfront property in Arizona if you believe that on any level of media these days you can get unbiased opinion. And when you send Newy or others like him emails complaining about this stuff, he goes to the air and makes your school and its fans look even dumber for calling him out. What is the biggest killer of all, though, is that other than George Dunham, the other journalists in the area that have UNT ties, by and large, are apathetic to their university. We get mad at Craig Miller or others like hime for not having any love for the university, but our alumni and administration for the most part having acted like North Texas football was nothing more than a necessary evil, so those folks have taken that to heart. It is just going to take baby steps, unfortunately, for this to change with the DFW media. We have so far to go that it is what we are going to be dealing with for a long time, though. We need to get out of the bottom of the SBC first, get back to the top of the SBC regularly again and go to bowl games, beat the non-AQ teams we play (SMU, UH, etc.), and then get to where we can actually beat an AQ team someday. I will tell you this--if we ever beat a ranked AQ team and then win the SBC and the NO Bowl in the same year, I truly believe that this negative BS we always have to deal with in the local media will start to dwindle. Until then...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

I have a very good friend who works for ESPNDallas and he is a very fair reporter. He likes UNT a lot, even though he is a TCU guy. He tells me all the time that it will take UNT winning the SBC and beating a big name in OOC to get the DFW media to even consider talking seriously about UNT regularly. The history of our program is so sad that most of the old SWC types in the media here have passed on their snobbery to folks like Newy that come here from other locales. You can argue that he is a reproter and should not show bias, but I have oceanfront property in Arizona if you believe that on any level of media these days you can get unbiased opinion. And when you send Newy or others like him emails complaining about this stuff, he goes to the air and makes your school and its fans look even dumber for calling him out. What is the biggest killer of all, though, is that other than George Dunham, the other journalists in the area that have UNT ties, by and large, are apathetic to their university. We get mad at Craig Miller or others like hime for not having any love for the university, but our alumni and administration for the most part having acted like North Texas football was nothing more than a necessary evil, so those folks have taken that to heart. It is just going to take baby steps, unfortunately, for this to change with the DFW media. We have so far to go that it is what we are going to be dealing with for a long time, though. We need to get out of the bottom of the SBC first, get back to the top of the SBC regularly again and go to bowl games, beat the non-AQ teams we play (SMU, UH, etc.), and then get to where we can actually beat an AQ team someday. I will tell you this--if we ever beat a ranked AQ team and then win the SBC and the NO Bowl in the same year, I truly believe that this negative BS we always have to deal with in the local media will start to dwindle. Until then...

The thing I will say about Craig Miller is that, although he isn't a die hard NT fan...I have never heard him degrade our school in any way. I think he's the type that he wants us to win but realizes where we are so he doesn't get too involved with our athletics program at least. I know he's a big OU blowhard but I am guessing that if OU and NT played in a bowl game that he would root for NT?

i'd feel like most in the dfw area/alums all over who seem apathetic are just looking for a reason to come back. it takes winning in football, doing more than just getting to the tournament in basketball, and things in the academic realm. this may seem unfathomable to us on the board- but why would a casual fan want to be associated with a team that gets blown out by 30,40, 50, even 69 points a game????

The thing I will say about Craig Miller is that, although he isn't a die hard NT fan...I have never heard him degrade our school in any way. I think he's the type that he wants us to win but realizes where we are so he doesn't get too involved with our athletics program at least. I know he's a big OU blowhard but I am guessing that if OU and NT played in a bowl game that he would root for NT?

• Upvote 2

i'd feel like most in the dfw area/alums all over who seem apathetic are just looking for a reason to come back. it takes winning in football, doing more than just getting to the tournament in basketball, and things in the academic realm. this may seem unfathomable to us on the board- but why would a casual fan want to be associated with a team that gets blown out by 30,40, 50, even 69 points a game????

I think you're absolutely right. There's only one way to endear the casual fan's heart, and that is to win. Consistently. But do it the right way... no Pony Express, USC, et al.

Prior to the Stoops regime, how many OU fans do you recall seeing? How 'bout after Stoops and bowls and National Championship games?

Everyone loves a winner, ESPECIALLY here in DFW.

I certainly hope we see Riley a little more on Saturday. Like most on this board, I believe he is one of our best players and he should be a big part of this offense. Keeping one of our best players on the sideline is not conducive to winning.

The Star-Telegram did the same thing. Very small writeup on page 4 that said, "Clemson rolls over North Texas" (from wire reports).

There's only one way for UNT to get out of this type of reporting. WIN THE GAME! Actually, I was really impressed with the offense which frankly did far better than UNT has done against similar caliber teams in the past decade or so. Defense was another story, although they did keep them to 35 points which for UNT is pretty good against a team like this. Having said that, back when UNT was rolling the SBC and making a decent showing against Big 12 folks, we still didn't get much attention from the local media. Still though, if UNT's tired of getting slammed by the media like this, then the Mean Green is going to actually have to win some games. Period. End of story.

Great post, untjim...

Many of us have been fighting this media coverage (or lack, thereof) thing for 3 or 4 (or more) decades. It has been a real source of frustration for UNT'ers from every era--but to tell the truth, its mostly been our fault with our non-stop inconsistent ways in Denton. (Heck, we've really even never settled on a green color scheme for athletics, either).

It seems every time in the past UNT made 1 giant step forward--it would then take 3 giant steps backwards. One poster on this board I highly respect because of his years following this program always used to say its always been about the lack of an infra-structure at UNT; that is, we never had one on which to build anything solid as far as football was concerned. We did way too my dilly-dallying with the way we handled athletics at UNT and we paid for it dearly with the DFW media. They never really knew when to take UNT serious when it came to athletics, especially football. Scruggs is just doing what all his predeccessors did with his "no respect of UNT" thing. For most of the last few decades, we have truly been Rodney Daingerfield State U for all practical purposes---------NO RESPECT.

We'll all be saying this more and more in the next 12 months--but the New Stadium @ the Mean Green Village will play a huge part in finally giving UNT a legitimate infrastructure on which to build toward the future. Even some of our media friends will begin to believe us now about our intent with Mean Green football because of this new football palace. Sure we should have built this stadium as a replacement for Fouts Field a long time ago but we didn't; but for what its worth, with this present day NCAA we reside, we absolutely had no where else to go with Fouts Field as our football venue except the way of the dinosaur.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Great post, untjim...

Many of us have been fighting this media coverage (or lack, thereof) thing for 3 or 4 (or more) decades. It has been a real source of frustration for UNT'ers from every era--but to tell the truth, its mostly been our fault with our non-stop inconsistent ways in Denton. (Heck, we've really even never settled on a green color scheme for athletics, either).

It seems every time in the past UNT made 1 giant step forward--it would then take 3 giant steps backwards. One poster on this board I highly respect because of his years following this program always used to say its always been about the lack of an infra-structure at UNT; that is, we never had one on which to build anything solid as far as football was concerned. We did way too my dilly-dallying with the way we handled athletics at UNT and we paid for it dearly with the DFW media. They never really knew when to take UNT serious when it came to athletics, especially football. Scruggs is just doing what all his predeccessors did with his "no respect of UNT" thing. For most of the last few decades, we have truly been Rodney Daingerfield State U for all practical purposes---------NO RESPECT.

We'll all be saying this more and more in the next 12 months--but the New Stadium @ the Mean Green Village will play a huge part in finally giving UNT a legitimate infrastructure on which to build toward the future. Even some of our media friends will begin to believe us now about our intent with Mean Green football because of this new football palace. Sure we should have built this stadium as a replacement for Fouts Field a long time ago but we didn't; but for what its worth, with this present day NCAA we reside, we absolutely had no where else to go with Fouts Field as our football venue except the way of the dinosaur.

GMG!

Plumm,

I agree with you 100% about Fouts being the gorilla on our back for years, but the administration didn't even try to address the program's other needs for so long that by the time we have gotten to where we are with this new stadium approaching, I fear it will stil be too late for us when it comes to playing football at the highest level possible. I do believe that the Super BCS will come within the next 5 years, will be made up of around 50-75 schools, and won't include any of the current non-AQ schools, with the exception of the top teams that are non-AQ (i.e., BYU, Boise, TCU, and Fresno State). I even think that some current AQ teams will get left out.

Plumm,

I agree with you 100% about Fouts being the gorilla on our back for years, but the administration didn't even try to address the program's other needs for so long that by the time we have gotten to where we are with this new stadium approaching, I fear it will stil be too late for us when it comes to playing football at the highest level possible. I do believe that the Super BCS will come within the next 5 years, will be made up of around 50-75 schools, and won't include any of the current non-AQ schools, with the exception of the top teams that are non-AQ (i.e., BYU, Boise, TCU, and Fresno State). I even think that some current AQ teams will get left out.

I think the odds of the Super BCS are very low. There is the little matter of leaving out in your example ; 45 to 70 schools in today's litigious society. Plus there must be a few smart enough to figure out that leaving out the bottom half of the schools is going to greatly decrease the number of wins when the have's only play other have's.

Plumm,

I agree with you 100% about Fouts being the gorilla on our back for years, but the administration didn't even try to address the program's other needs for so long that by the time we have gotten to where we are with this new stadium approaching, I fear it will stil be too late for us when it comes to playing football at the highest level possible. I do believe that the Super BCS will come within the next 5 years,

And what you'will be made up of around 50-75 schools, and won't include any of the current non-AQ schools, with the exception of the top teams that are non-AQ (i.e., BYU, Boise, TCU, and Fresno State). I even think that some current AQ teams will get left out.

And the things you're saying about the possible new Super BCS is the very reason I had hoped UNT's initial stadium capacity would have immediately removed us from the other cast of FBS thousands who have 30,000 seat stadiums; like for UNT's new football palace to have been at least 35,000 seats with a 40,000 expansion attainable fairly quickly. The Big Boys used stadium size before and whose to say they won't do it again with this Super BCS? They have to use some things to cull some schools out and thats what they did when there was a D-1A and D1-AA albeit a different era.

Not that any of the aforementioned would save us from the TV greedy possible Super BCS, either, but at least it separates us from those we need to really be separated from of which stadium size is a large criteria that so many in the NCAA have used in the past.

I know, this all sounds a bit heady & conceited, with all this "separating us from our present crowd" talk but we don't get anywhere at a school like our alma mater eating humble pie all decade long and saying "awe shucks" while looking down at our shoe laces with our fingers jammed up our noses; all this with an attitude of we don't deserve better for ourselves and our school because the media and college fan boards say we don't tommyrot.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think the odds of the Super BCS are very low. There is the little matter of leaving out in your example ; 45 to 70 schools in today's litigious society. Plus there must be a few smart enough to figure out that leaving out the bottom half of the schools is going to greatly decrease the number of wins when the have's only play other have's.

OK--if that is true, why didn't that litigious threat keep those driven to I-AA purgatory back in the early 80s from stepping up to challenge the ruling by the NCAA or why aren't those schools that are pining to move up to 1-A (i.e UTSA and Texas State) not suing right now to get IMMEDIATE inclusion into 1-A status. Why haven't the non-BCS schools sued successfully to get equal footing at the BCS trough every year without any restrictions? The truth is that $$$ talks here. Not to mention that most of the legislators in this country are graduates of those big schools. Look at our fine state for no further example of power grabs. How in the world can UT and A&M be the only schools in the state to get PUF $$$--talk about litigation ready to happen, except for one small thing--the legislature and the judiciary system is predominantly made up of Longhorns and Aggies.

Edited by untjim1995

It's not hard: you play to win every game, and that includes having new wrinkles for each opponent.

Having said that, if Clemson had a very base package for us last week...Parker sure looked like sh!7. Maybe I am by myself in that opinion, ha!

Remember how great we made Alabama look last year? I hope those days are behind us. How did we ever get there?

Eno sang nonsense verb sound blocks, which Byrne then converted into lyrics in the call and response style of American radio evangelists on the theme of moving through life with little awareness or questioning.

link